By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you have any "ex-favorite" franchises in gaming, and what made you lose interest in them?

Assassins Creed. They made it into a yearly and released a bunch of titles all over the place that I couldn't catch up to.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
The Legend of Zelda has been my favourite franchise for almost my entire life, ever since I played A Link to the Past at age ... 4 or 5?

Unfortunately, much like the opening poster here, Breath of the Wild makes me really sad. Almost every semblence of what makes a Zelda game Zelda is gone, and given the hugely positive reception to it, it's not likely to stray away from the course that Breath of the Wild has put it on.

It wouldn't be as bad if any other game series was similar to Zelda, but unfortunately it's always been one-of-a-kind. People could never really say "Oh, it's just like Zelda" about any other game series, and unfortunately, that statement now holds true for Zelda as well.

Could you tell me what's missing, cuz from far as I played, it's still pretty much Zelda as we know with some tweaks to the inventory system and an incredible physics engine.

There's no sense of progression in the game whatsoever, largely due to the absence of new items gained throughout your journey, which was done so that it could be a "true" open world where you can go anywhere and do anything right off the bat, which in turn also leads to a lack of direction.

The dungeons can be completed in 10 minutes, and there are very few of them, and the shrines do not make up for it. One of the big impacts of Zelda was getting into a new dungeon that really wowed you, any time I think of an older Zelda one particular temple/dungeon always comes to mind first because it left a huge impact on me, and that's usually where conversation gravitates first when talking to people about it. Breath of the Wild has 4 dungeons that are practically identical, except for the elephant which is a little bit different, but they're all woefully short and unremarkable as a whole.

Bossfights have no thought put into them, even though there exists strategy against the bosses, the lack of options for the player means they need to be very basic, and you can even forego them entirely and just mash against the bosses and end up winning anyway.

Very small variety of enemies, despite the huge world. I remember someone compared Breath of the Wild's beastiary to Ocarina of Time's, and the latter had more than twice (!) as many different enemies. Not counting recolours, of course.

The music isn't there. You move through the world and almost never hear any musical cues, which is deeply connected with the Zelda experience. The only music I remember at all is the small snippet when I got to the top of one of the exploration towers (which ended almost immediately), and the music in the shrines which IIRC was a pretty nice remix of Zelda 1 music.

Putting aside everything from Zelda that's lacking, new additions that turn me off are voice acting, because that has no place in a Zelda game and they shoved it in anyway, and the equipment system where you have to keep finding new weapons and armor which keeps breaking. The equipment system got less tedious the further you got in the game, but it was still annoying, and at the beginning it was just unbearable.

That's just what I can remember off the top of my head, it's been about 3 months since I played and completed it, so it's not fresh in my mind at the moment.

Call of Duty and Pokemon for me.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."