By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you have any "ex-favorite" franchises in gaming, and what made you lose interest in them?

For me, there's only one answer and it's Zelda. Even though I acknowledge that Zelda needed some change and people loved it, I personally couldn't be more disappointed with the direction they're taking the franchise with BotW and whatever comes after it (3D-wise at least, I'll see what happens to 2D Zelda first before I give up on the franchise), to the point where I'm very likely to skip the next game, my interest is simply dead right now. Had they fixed the formula instead of completely replacing it, I probably wouldn't be so sad, but it seems there's no turning back now.

Ironically, the opposite thing is currently happening with Mario for me. I was starting to lose interest after 3D Land/World (World was great though, just not what I wanted), but then Nintendo finally made the right choice and brought exploration 3D Mario back. I can't wait for Odyssey to come out!

But let's stop talking about me. I made this thread because I want to know what are your ex-favorite franchises. Was it Tomb Raider, or maybe Final Fantasy?

Please tell me, and make sure to explain your choices!

EDIT: The Sims just came to mind. I used to play The Sims 2 religiously on PC when I was younger, and it's the best one imo. Sims 3 was still great but the expansions started feeling weak and there was also tons of store content to buy, which shouldn't have been a thing. The Sims 4 on the other hand was a complete disaster in my eyes, it felt half-baked, uninspired and safe, and every expansion so far has looked awful.

Around the Network

The most obvious one with me is Dead Rising. Absolutely loved that franchise, and Dead Rising 1 and 2 are a blast to play. Even side rip-off proyects, like Off The Record, were fun. Then Dead Rising 3 happened and took certain directions which...eh, okay I guess. Wasn't a bad game by any means but there was a pervasive lack of focus with it. And then there's Dead Rising 4, which basically disgraced the whole franchise ignoring the strengths and identity and just focusing on raw killing (without even polishing this aspect, which makes it all the more dull) and being a conflictive story point (but they didn't care about the plot either, so who cares), efectivelly killing my enthusiasm for the franchise and also leaving a mediocre legacy that failed to understand what made Dead Rising Dead Rising in the first place. Sigh.

Pokémon used to be my favorite franchise by far, but not anymore. However, unlike you with Zelda, I still like the new Pokémon games and I've played every mainline game since Platinum (I'll probably skip Ultra Sun and Moon though). I just don't like them as much anymore as I used to, and there are other games now that I like better.

I think I'm just growing out of it, the games are becoming too easy and simplistic for me. They seem to have lost some of their magic.

The WWE games are the main ones to me. I loved the older ones, but I've kind of stopped getting them.

Pokemon

Always will be a solid series, but every game after Heartgold/Soulsilver made me feel like they can add more. I had so many hours in Soulsilver because of everything you can do.

While Ultramoon probably won't do much to change my mind, I hope the Switch-only eighth gen gets the BotW treatment . I wouldn't mind if the next games were pushed to 2019. Anything to improve the series would be appreciated.

Around the Network

Resident Evil was my favorite horror fanchise but it all changed when the fire nat... RE4 came out, and while that game was certainly great, the franchise became more action/survival oriented so I lost interest. It didnt help that 5 and 6 were the shittiest games in the history of shittiest games. Good thing RE7 brought it back to its roots.

Mortal Kombat was my favorite fighting franchise back in the snes era but I lost interest to the genre all together. I guess Guilty Gear is my new favorite fighting game and the only I still play lol.

Final Fantasy was my favorite JRPG franchise until I met Suikoden and then Suikoden became my favorite to this day.

Final Fantasy.Ecen though everyone says its an abomination, FF XIII wasnt all that bad.What really killed it for me was FF XV.God, that game is such an abomination.(for me I mean.Objectively speaking, its still a decent game)

Hopefully FF XVI makes FF return to its former glory.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Flilix said:

Pokémon used to be my favorite franchise by far, but not anymore. However, unlike you with Zelda, I still like the new Pokémon games and I've played every mainline game since Platinum (I'll probably skip Ultra Sun and Moon though). I just don't like them as much anymore as I used to, and there are other games now that I like better.

I think I'm just growing out of it, the games are becoming too easy and simplistic for me. They seem to have lost some of their magic.

Totally agree with Pokémon. I love the games, but have been slowly losing interest in them. There's definitely some "magic" lost in there to me as well.

monocle_layton said:
Pokemon

Always will be a solid series, but every game after Heartgold/Soulsilver made me feel like they can add more. I had so many hours in Soulsilver because of everything you can do.

While Ultramoon probably won't do much to change my mind, I hope the Switch-only eighth gen gets the BotW treatment . I wouldn't mind if the next games were pushed to 2019. Anything to improve the series would be appreciated.

I think the problem with the newer Pokémon games is that they really lack scope. Hopefully when Switch gets a Pokémon game it will feel more expansive and bring me back full-time to the series.

It's a tough thing to keep a franchise consistently great for years and years. Only a handful of studios can make it work.

I'd say I cooled down on Call of Duty starting with Black Ops but came back in a big way with Infinite Warfare. I'm a single-player-over-multiplayer kind of guy so IW scratched me right where I itch.

Same goes for Resident Evil. 5 was different but fun. 6 just wasn't for me. But I loved Revelations and 7 so all is good.

Medal of Honor would be another one for me. I love the PS1 games but something essential was lost in the jump to the 6th gen.

I guess the series that suffered the most for me is Halo. I really love Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach, but struggled to get into the new ones. I'm really hopeful 343 can build on the positive changes it made to mp, fix the problems in the single-player campaign, and release a Halo 6 game that lives up to the series' legacy.

I'd say Sonic is one for me. When Colors came out, I regained some hope for the franchise, I really liked what they did with it. It seemed like they finally found a formula that worked for the blue hedgehog.

But then when I saw Generations I was just like, "Welp, that's it, I'm done." Two different Sonics is the dumbest idea ever, IMO.