By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
 

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%
 
Playstation 1 638 51.29%
 
Total:1,244
VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

Its all opinions mind you, but I dont agree with what you wrote.

I had a N64 too, and Mario64 was probably my favorite game that gen, however the volume of great games on the playstation puts it above the N64.

N64 had a handfull of great games (a few 10 out of 10's), but PS4 had 100's of games in the 8-9 range.

By quanty PS1 wins by miles and miles.

Come on, I'm a PS1 guy myself, but why is it so hard for many others to admit that the N64 was more powerful and had better graphics?

Was more powerfull yes.... but PS1 had some games that where really well optimised, or ended up looking better than you'd think the PS1 could do.

Theres enough games that look so good, it makes you question which system had the better looking games.

 

Legend of Mana:

megaman legends 2:

Metal gear solid:

Vagrant Story:

Breath of fire IV:

Final Fantasy IX:



Around the Network

PS1 by far. Resident Evil 1-3, Dino Crisis 1 and 2, Final Fantasy VII-IX, Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Twisted Metal 1-4, Silent Hill, Syphon Filter, Tekken 1-3, Tomb Raider 1-5, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Spyro the Dragon, Legacy of Kain, the list goes on and on.

PS1 was leaps and bounds better.



VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

Its all opinions mind you, but I dont agree with what you wrote.

I had a N64 too, and Mario64 was probably my favorite game that gen, however the volume of great games on the playstation puts it above the N64.

N64 had a handfull of great games (a few 10 out of 10's), but PS4 had 100's of games in the 8-9 range.

By quanty PS1 wins by miles and miles.

Come on, I'm a PS1 guy myself, but why is it so hard for many others to admit that the N64 was more powerful and had better graphics?

Because it didn't? I've never seen an N64 game that has as good graphics as Final Fantasy 8 had on PS1. Sure a lot of what made it look great is the cutscenes, but there were times when the cutscene would seamlessly move in to gameplay and there would be no noticable drop in graphics. It really looked awesome!



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

N64 for me, because of local 4-player multiplayer and I just think most N64 games hold up today compared to their PS1 counterparts.

Sure the PS1 has a vastly larger library, especially when it comes to 3rd party titles, but I'll take Nintendo + Rare's efforts and a slew of awesome 4-player titles on the N64 over the PS1's larger library.  Back during the peak of the 5th gen in the late 90s, I had the N64 while most of my friends & family had either PS1 or both PS1/N64, so I've played my fair share of both consoles.  And I can tell you that we spent the majority of our gaming time playing multiplayer on the N64 like Smash, Goldeneye, Mario Kart / DKR, and the WCW/WWF wrestling games, occasionally switching to PS1 to play games like Twisted Metal, Crash, Tekken, and Tony Hawk.



On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

N64 for me, because of local 4-player multiplayer and I just think most N64 games hold up today compared to their PS1 counterparts.

I can easily go sit down and play alot of PS1 rpgs today as easily as back then, the 2D sprite works ect look amasing.

The same just isnt true for the n64.

 

ex Suikoden II:



Around the Network

N64 by miles. Simply because of legendary status of Goldeneye, SM 64, MK 64, DK 64, and a slew of other titles that haven't even aged a day.



JRPGfan said:

Firstly, why are all but 1 of the party facing away from the enemy?

And more importantly... are the enemy killer squirrels? :O



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I would say N64 personally. It is the only Playstation gen I think someone made a better console than Sony



rolltide101x said:
I would say N64 personally. It is the only Playstation gen I think someone made a better console than Sony

7th gen? Xbox 360 vs PS3?

Sure the X360 had some reliability issues (although so did the PS3), but apart from that it was an absolutely fantastic console!



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Snesboy said:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire

Jet Force Gemini

Conker's Bad Fur Day

I forgot about Shadows of the Empire. Great game. I never got around to Conker's Bad Fur Day. Does it play like the other Rare games on 64?

If you played any other Rare platformer, you played Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Except it was brutally rated M