Thousand Arms
Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4,5
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts I & II
Wildarms I & II
Worms Armageddon
Xenogears

and so many more.

PS1 easily had tons more great games than the N64.

The key is PS1 had a lot of very good games, but N64 library is full of masterpieces. SM64, Both Zeldas, Goldeneye, SF64, Super Smash, Mario Kart, are like some of the greatest games ever. Yes, PS1 has a lot of good rpgs, but most of them are hard to play now due to loading times, poorly aged mechanics, etc. N64s library as a whole is more timeless.

But the PS1 had just as many masterpieces as the N64....like Tekken 3, Chrono Trigger/Cross, MGS, Parasire Eve, Crash games FF ,8 and 9, Resident Evil games, Xenogears, SFA3, Twisted Metal 3, Catlevania SOTN etc. PLUS all those very good games so....for me anyway......that is what puts the PS1 ahead....that it had just as many masterpieces plus more good-great games........

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

The PS1 was a casual machine just like the Wii was. Dedicated gamers loved both consoles.

Didn't the PS1 have a higher attach ratio though? If that's true, then your statement doesn't make as much sense.

I don't see how attach rates have anything to do with that... PS1 had a tremendously varied library compared to N64. Its games were also much, much cheaper.

Chrizum said:
VGPolyglot said:

Didn't the PS1 have a higher attach ratio though? If that's true, then your statement doesn't make as much sense.

I don't see how attach rates have anything to do with that... PS1 had a tremendously varied library compared to N64. Its games were also much, much cheaper.

You said that the PS1 was a casual machine, however if people bought more games on average for it, even considering all of the casual people would wouldn't bu that many games, wouldn't it dispell that notion?

VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

You said that the PS1 was a casual machine, however if people bought more games on average for it, even considering all of the casual people would wouldn't bu that many games, wouldn't it dispell that notion?

Not really. Like I said, PS1 games were much cheaper (up to two times as cheap in many cases) and there were just more games. PS1 also had a much longer lifespan. N64 was more of an enthusiast machine, PS1 was the cool system to have (almost every household I knew had one sooner or later).

Chrizum said:
VGPolyglot said:

Not really. Like I said, PS1 games were much cheaper (up to two times as cheap in many cases) and there were just more games. PS1 also had a much longer lifespan. N64 was more of an enthusiast machine, PS1 was the cool system to have (almost every household I knew had one sooner or later).

That's interesting, because I thought the stereotype at the time was that the N64 was for kids, while the PS1 was the console for mature gamers?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

The PS1 was a casual machine just like the Wii was. Dedicated gamers loved both consoles.

The console that is winning ends up with a ton of junk. For instance, my parents once purchased me family fued for christmas. Was like 4 other junk games too, but dno't recal names. They had a Wii, and they owned like 10 workout games, a bunch of dancing and music games

But there is a ton of shit purchased by causals, such as spongebob games.

VGPolyglot said:
Chrizum said:

That's interesting, because I thought the stereotype at the time was that the N64 was for kids, while the PS1 was the console for mature gamers?

Stereotype that many kids woudl know about and thus as all kids do, they want to be mature.

It's just like many mature shooters these days are filled with kids on voicechat and their pubescent voices screeching.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

The console that is winning ends up with a ton of junk. For instance, my parents once purchased me family fued for christmas. Was like 4 other junk games too, but dno't recal names. They had a Wii, and they owned like 10 workout games, a bunch of dancing and music games

It's not like the N64 didn't have junk either. Superman 64, Carmageddon 64, Daikatana, etc. The N64 also had a lot of sports games.

VGPolyglot said:
irstupid said:

It's not like the N64 didn't have junk either. Superman 64, Carmageddon 64, Daikatana, etc. The N64 also had a lot of sports games.

This thread is full of lists. Just as the list of PS1 games that are good is 5x longer than N64, the list of bad games on the PS1 compared ot N64 is 50x longer.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

This thread is full of lists. Just as the list of PS1 games that are good is 5x longer than N64, the list of bad games on the PS1 compared ot N64 is 50x longer.

I think that the good-bad ratio is exaggerated.