By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you rather have: Scorpio in 2017 or real Xbox 2 in 2018

I rather has

Scorpio with Jaguar, Polaris, 12 gigs of ram 56 28.43%

Xbox 2 with Ryzen, Vega, 16 gigs of ram 141 71.57%

Total:197

I pretty much say Scorpio is the next Xbox. I dont see another console from anyone until 2020.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Turkish said:

That's what they said about GDDR5, being too expensive at the time.

Difference is... GDDR5 was in low-end and mid-range GPU's (Like the Radeon 6570, 7470, 7570... Geforce 440, 450, 545 etc') before the Xbox one and Playstation 4 launched and even then only the PS4 launched with it.
HBM is only in the most premium and the most expensive GPU's such as Fury and Vega and a few Tesla cards.
HBM chips aren't the only cost-issue you have either. Interposers add an additional cost.

GDDR6 is going to be cheaper than HBM anyway and scale fairly well.

Hynix also disclosed it has a partner lined up for it's GDDR6 memory on a 384-bit bus... And it will have 768GB/s of bandwidth and probably a 12GB memory capacity.
For comparison sake... HBM1 had 512GB/s and HBM 2 has 409GB/s as per AMD's implementations.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11297/sk-hynix-announces-plans-to-ship-gddr6-memory-for-graphics-cards-in-early-2018

Again... I state that HBM is unlikely going to be a thing for consoles. It's to expensive and the alternatives are likely superior.

Turkish said:

Sure GV100 is the next gen, for supercomputers that is, something that costs in the 4-5 digit numbers. We're talking next gen parts for consoles.

I don't think you fully get it. There is this thing called "Moores Law".
GV100 is probably launching *this* year. On a "custom" 12nm process. (With a 14nm BEOL or FEOL.)

That kind of performance should be consumer-level stuff by the time next gen is here and we are at 7nm. The PC doesn't stop progressing for anyone.

Doesnt really matter what the low end is doing, what matters is what technology is going to be the standard. If industry is moving to HBM2, then that will be the logical choice as it'll get cheaper over time. If AMD's high end product line up consists of HBM2 onward, it should come to consoles as well. 8GB GDDR5 was expensive at the time, everybody was surprised they went with it, even Epic's Mark Rein. It all depends what the next technology is, if GDDR6 emerges as the winner, then it should be that.

"That kind of performance should be consumer-level stuff by the time next gen is here"

But not by the time a console would launch in fall 2018. For the best, AMD's Vega will be more than enough to start next gen. A console with equivalent GTX 1080/Ti performance in 18 months will blow everyone's socks off.

thismeintiel said:
If MS was smart they'd skip the mid-gen update and wait a year and release the XB2. Sure, the PS5 would probably be out the following year and outdo it in specs, but it won't be as much as the PS5 will outdo the Scorpio.

I still think the PS5 would crush them in sales with a XB2, since Sony isn't going to repeat the mistakes of the PS3 anytime soon, but at least MS would have some time advantage to work with. As it is, it seems they are resting all hope on a more powerful mid-gen upgrade that's coming a year too late and is going to be $100 more than the successful Pro once it gets its price cut. Hell, it might be $150 more expensive is it's $449 and Sony goes aggressive in Sept and cuts the price to $299.

When you are losing as much market share as MS you do not dictate when the next gen start.  In other words, you leave developers in a situation where your next gen system doesn't even get exploited because it still will be playing games from the PS4.  Next Gen starts when Sony starts and MS can make sure they are ready to launch when Sony is ready to launch with the PS5.  The thing is Sony is in no hurry to bring up their PS5 and they should not be.  There ceiling on the PS4 hardware hasn't even come close to hitting and nothing MS does between now and when they are ready in the next 4 years will change that narrative.

Its better for MS to prepare for the long game as they are doing.  MS isn’t putting all their eggs in the Scorpio since they already know it will be a niche seller in the beginning.  Instead the Scorpio will be the base system when Sony and MS are ready to bring their next iteration of their consoles.  When that happens the Scorpio will be the same price as the PS4 pro but will have a huge performance boost over it.  It probably would be able to play whatever next gen titles that come out for the new Xbox and still be a viable device.

As for Sony cutting the price of any of its products, why would they.  They are still selling bucket loads and will continue to sell bucket loads when the Scorpio is released.  Sony doesn’t need to bleed any money this gen to keep their marketshare and they really do not want to go into a price war with MS as it will net them nothing but red.

Tulipanzo said:
I'd rather they released games

Wait, your saying new hardware isn't enough? ermagosh

Dulfite said:
Tulipanzo said:

Wait, your saying new hardware isn't enough? ermagosh

#hottake 

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Highlander_666 said:
None , i dont care about xbox.

But there can be only one.

this guy was the real highlander - Duncan mccloud.

Loved the TV series.... movies where sooo bad lol.

Cant remember if he had a console ever shown in the tv show.

SuperBott said:
KBG29 said:
I like Scorpio this year. Nothing about Zen and Vega is next gen if you look at the history of consoles, not to mention adding deminishing returns. Zen+ & Navi on 7nm will be worth while points to jump to a new baseline.

Scorpio will serve its purpose delivering 4K XBO and PS4 games for the next 3 or 4 years.

This.

Yep pretty sure by 2020, there will be new consoles out.

Tulipanzo said:

Yeah software > hardware. 

shikamaru317 said:
I wish they would just make Scorpio their next gen console this year. Let it have exclusives. That would give them a 1-2 year headstart on PS5 sales wise and actually give them a chance next gen.

Exclusive in what way.  There is nothing about the Scorpio that require any games to be exclusive for it.  Now what can be done as is done in the PC space is to have low, mid and high with effects that make the Scorpio look better than the base level X1.  Developers have been doing this for years on the PC  so having everything on high for the Scorpio might be enough for MS exclusives and 3rd party games.  It will be interesting to see if this is showcased during E3.

Kerotan said:
Tulipanzo said:

Yeah software > hardware. 

I mean, give me a reason to turn on my XBox One. I'm waiting