By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better graphics vs. better resolution, which do you choose?

Resolution or graphics?

Resolution all the way! 56 22.76%

Graphics all the way! 135 54.88%

Por que no los dos? 19 7.72%

Show results 36 14.63%

Total:246

This thread has likely been made already, but I'm bored and I still would like to know what you guys think about this since I personally haven't come across such a thread in here before. If you could choose between better graphical fidelity in a game but as a result a worse resolution and vice-versa, which would you pick, and why?

Note: For the purpose of this thread I'd like you guys to consider only those two factors, regardless of framerate. Basically, no matter which option you choose, performance would be the same.

As for me, I'd choose resolution all the way. Low resolutions make games blurry and unpleasant to look at imo, which is why I'd rather have a 1080p game with worse graphics than a good looking game with a lower resolution and/or lots of aliasing. If I had to choose between playing the original Ocarina of Time upscaled through an emulator and the 3DS remake on a 3DS, I'd choose the original even though I love the remake as well simply for the resolution (Also because for some reason, I kinda dig the "clean" look of low-poly games rendered at a high resolution, but that's another topic).

Around the Network

We need a poll for this. A poll with funny options that have nothing to do with the thread. Options like "I dont care, im more worried about Suikoden VI".

Also, resolution. Because I too rather have a 1080p game with worse graphics than a good looking game with a lower resolution. Great graphics with bad resolution get lost on me.

Jpcc86 said:
We need a poll for this. A poll with funny options that have nothing to do with the thread. Options like "I dont care, im more worried about Suikoden VI".

Also, resolution. Because I too rather have a 1080p game with worse graphics than a good looking game with a lower resolution. Great graphics with bad resolution get lost on me.

Is the poll not showing up yet? Just asking since I did actually put one.

Vini256 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Is the poll not showing up yet? Just asking since I did actually put one.

It is, it wasnt there when I replied but now I see it :P 

Graphics all the way.
Look at 7th gen. The first games were 1080p with gen 6 graphics. The last games were 640p with way better graphics, and of course they looked better.
Look at kh and fire emblem cgs on 3ds,they look gorgeous, even at 240p. If 3ds had power to run those graphics in game, the games would be gorgeous even at 240p.

Around the Network

Since when doesn't resolution have an influence on graphics. Anyway after 900p, 1080p or 2160p checkerboard is hit throw as much graphical features to it as possible. I prefer more natural and better looking frames in HDR with actual glowing particles coming from it than bland fire in native 2160p and terrible lighting.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I'd rather play a pretty game at 480p than an ugly game at 1080p.

Depends, if it's at least 720p then I'm fine. If it's lower than 720p them that's a problem for me. Snake Pass on Switch for example was below 720 and while having great graphics, looked blurry as hell.

Graphics. Not because I care that much about graphics, but because I couldn't care less about resolution. 240p is enough for me, and I think that 480p is already very good. I barely see any difference between 480p or 50000p.

Qwark said:
Since when doesn't resolution have an influence on graphics. Anyway after 900p, 1080p or 2160p checkerboard is hit throw as much graphical features to it as possible. I prefer more natural and better looking frames in HDR with actual glowing particles coming from it than bland fire in native 2160p and terrible lighting.

Not saying that it doesn't, I'm just asking in a broader sense of better poly count, lighting, etc vs. better resolution but lesser effects. I'm really happy that we're reaching a point where resolution won't be as noticeable as before though, that way we can continue to improve graphics without them looking bad because of the resolution =P