By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PlayStation 5 will feature a real GPU, not an APU like Scorpio/PS4 Pro

AlfredoTurkey said:
Paatar said:
2019 is too soon imo. PS3 and 360 lasted a long time. Give the PS4 and XB1 till 2020

PS3 and 360 lated too long. 2019 would be five years... that's long enough.

It's actually 6 years with a late 2019 launch, which is why I think it's happening.  3 years til Pro came out. 3 more years til PS5 comes out.  I think we're going to see a 1700 Zen CPU and a Vega 10 GPU, most likely in APU form.  There's a chance we get a Zen+ in there and/or a Vega 20, but it's going to come down to cost.  If Sony can put them in, with (most likely) 16GB of HBM2/3 RAM, for only ~$425, then they will and launch it for $399.

Around the Network

Another rumour about the PS5 as we approach the launch of the Scorpio? Who would ever have guessed this was going to happen?

The PS5 Exists. 

Uhh its too soon to even think about PS5. Sometimes I really hate rumours, especially right before E3, too many, too much.

Just stop it... i don't want a new gen for another 3 years. Games don't even have time to be developed if hardware comes out that fast. Games are starting to take more than 2 years to develop. It's ridiculous to pump out hardware that fast and not make some money off the games.

Whole thing reads like a fan boys wet dream that they get to benefit of the hits from with no accountability about authenticity.

So fucking tired of these pointless rumors

Around the Network

"This is all I heard, and this person is deep in the industry and would know a fair amount of what to expect, and while they might not know exactly which GPU will be inside of the PlayStation 5, the sheer possibility that PS5 might feature a proper GPU instead of a watered down and power constrained APU, is exciting.

Let's think of the possibilities: PS5 runs a Vega-based graphics card that we've been hearing about in the GTX 1070 level performance range, with an 8-core Ryzen-based CPU. Sony could push for a more expensive console experience, while providing better than Project Scorpio performance."

If true, it will most likely still be weaker than my computer that I've already had for a couple years now. 

The PS4 has been out 3 1/2 years and the Pro for only 7 months!  Now you're compairing the next PS (due out in how many years????) to the Scorpio which is due in a few months...seriously?!?

Stop hating and start playing.

If the PS5 has a worthy future proof CPU, they can design the console to either have a regular PCI-E slot for a PC style GPU, or they can design their own proprietary third party AMD GPU card and slot.
This way, they could sell a base PS5 and Pro model at launch, with the same CPU but different GPU's, and allow customers to upgrade whenever they want, or whenever PS releases a specific GPU upgrade, yearly or bi-yearly.

This would make the console even more like a PC, but would be the best solution to the mid gen upgrade issues.

Mark Cerny will impress us again

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

You mean a real GPU like the Switch has?

Great news.

Sony have always liked dedicated video memory as both Vita and PS3 have separate memory pools this is easier with separate gpu and cpu chips. Also splitting into 2 main chips makes cooling easier so has thermal advantages.

You could have something like a fast exclusive memory pipeline to 4GB of ultrafast GDDR memory and perhaps 8GB of slower shared memory that both gpu and cpu could access. An 8 or 12 core cpu chip could have generous cache to optimise use to the 8GB of memory. Cache is slightly less important to the gpu as more likely to be unique data. The 8GB of main memoy would be positioned on the motherboard between the CPU and GPU. By providing dedicated pools of memory you could much increase overall memory bandwidth significantly over Scorpio. It helps make a high performance console in a compact case and doesn't necessarily make the console more expensive if it can make do with slower shared memory and only 4GB of ultrafast memory. By dedicating one IC to the gpu you can install more processing units into that I.C. so won't have to run it as fast to get decent performance allowing the console to stay cooler again. Consoles often have many of the same thermal issues as laptops and they often have discrete graphics to get decent performance, its no different to that really.

We have seen both ps4 and xbox one run their APU's quite slowly again because of thermal issues, much slower than 360 and PS3 at least for the cpu's, something like 1.6ghz compared to 3.2ghz. Splitting gpu and cpu's will help allow higher clock rates.