By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft partner's Mixed Reality headsets are shamelessly copying PSVR design

SegataSanshiro said:
pokoko said:

What is that quote from?  Because, from what I understand, Sony started working on VR around 2010-2011 and made the Move with VR in mind.

Look at my previous post. That headset is from 2008. Sony had a VR thing for PS2 as well. in the 90s some headset for PC tho it wasn't VR. SEGA had a headset in the 90s and 80s. Atari same thing. Why I find it funny people think VR is new. Older than most the people on this forum.

I think you made the best point here about VR in general. Companies have been making them for years with lesser technology, and it's no stretch to say that Sony still would have put out PSVR without Oculus interest. It just works because the components that go into it have matured to that point, not because nobody thought about it before.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
crissindahouse said:

So, you complain about the headband? The one which people say is best from PSVR? Why exactly should companies use another one? WTF...

I mean, there is a whole damn VR headset for games Sony is selling AFTER other companies started to sell it but the headband, now how can companies start to use a similar headband!

"Without Oculus' success on Kickstarter Sony would have never released a PSVR"

What is that quote from?  Because, from what I understand, Sony started working on VR around 2010-2011 and made the Move with VR in mind.

From nobody. Just to show that you could also post that about how Sony "copied" or at least did something just because of another company. And yes, I know Sony worked on it before, like most companies work on thousands of things of which most never get realised. 

The question is if Sony would have released PSVR without Oculus, if they would have released it already for PS4 and not only PS5 and if PSVR would be exactly the same without the other headsets or if PSVR would be also a little bit different and not 100% like what it is.

And I doubt that you could say "yes" to all of that and that's why this whole thread is not really needed since we talk about a company which also does get "inspired" by other companies. If about parts of the product or simply if it's even a good idea to release it (ok, that's not like copying a whole part of the product but still^^)

Only a fool would believe that nothing from PSVR changed after Sony saw the competition. And that's a good thing, products would be pretty shitty most of the time if companies would never look at what the other companies do and what their ideas are. 

Why reinvent the wheel? Sony managed a very good design with their first attempt. At the very worst, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I like it. Acer Looks great.

It's a good ergonomic headset design. Sony has not been the first one with that idea. Get off your fucking horse. It's called adaption.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

We still talk about VR? I thought that died months ago.

You don't avoid good design just because someone else did it first.

Who cares. Of all things to complain about sheesh.

Turkish, I'll await your protests when Sony next emulates a design from another company.

I seem to recall Sony borrowing quite a lot of ideas from Nintendo when it entered the console market. This is just what companies do, and we benefit by having access to a variety of more versatile options that are constantly building on one another.

I just ordered the new audio/headband equipment for my HTC Vive and am super excited, it's biggest flaw was definitely the original headband and this fixes that entirely according to the reviews I've read, making it exceptionally comfortable.

Besides, imo Sony largely copied them awesome night-vision goggles design from Jurrassic Park. :p