By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
strider9981 said:

https://youtu.be/Y4VLkN2S8DI cant get enough

You don't do very much dashing from the looks of things. And for some reason, this video is titled Master Mummy and yet there was no mummy.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

How do you change targets in thumbs up control?

It's pretty good, I'm not sure how much depth it will have though. Motion controls are ok, but there's that same disconnect when the stop moving your arms but your character keeps doing stuff, I'm kinda done with the whole motion punching stuff. The Pro Controller is ok but the game feels slow playing that way. 

It's kind of an odd game in that it can simultaneously feel slow and fast, lol. The HD Rumble feels nice. 

I dunno if it's another Splatoon, though it's hard to judge a new IP after just one hour of play. 

As far as I know, motion controls are not very good when facing multiple opponents. They're fine in 1v1 but when it's more than that, go with traditional controls.

Third testpunch just finished. Really getting the hang of things now.

One word: patience.

Tried it for the first time and it was an overall ok experience. After my first few matches I was about to label it a stupid Wii Boxing-esque game that works when it feels like it but apparently I just sucked (you have to plan your moves and not just wave your arms around like an idiot? Lame).

The tutorial didn't explain how you switch targets in 3-player matches so the first ones where quite rage-inducing to say the least but after trying every button I finally got it. That mode still feels a bit clunky but I do like the added strategy layer. I didn't enjoy the few 2v2 matches I played as much as they felt kinda chaotic.

I played it with motion-controls only as it makes it different and I like different so I'll stick with that. It was my first time experiencing the Switch motion controls and they seem to respond well.

I was really looking forward to the Volleyball mode but unfortunately I didn't exactly have a blast with it. Could be that I suck and don't understand how to properly play it though.

Looking forward to trying some more. It's not a new Splatoon for me that's for sure but I've only played it for an hour and I'm not that big of a fan of fighting games so we'll see if it earns a place on my to-get list.

forest-spirit said:
Tried it for the first time and it was an overall ok experience. After my first few matches I was about to label it a stupid Wii Boxing-esque game that works when it feels like it but apparently I just sucked (you have to plan your moves and not just wave your arms around like an idiot? Lame).

If motion controls are not for you then try traditional.

forest-spirit said:
The tutorial didn't explain how you switch targets in 3-player matches so the first ones where quite rage-inducing to say the least but after trying every button I finally got it. That mode still feels a bit clunky but I do like the added strategy layer. I didn't enjoy the few 2v2 matches I played as much as they felt kinda chaotic.

Switching players is simple with traditional controls: just use the right stick. Simple. Not sure if this works with motion controls.

forest-spirit said:
I played it with motion-controls only as it makes it different and I like different so I'll stick with that. It was my first time experiencing the Switch motion controls and they seem to respond well.

Give traditional controls a try. They're there for a reason.

forest-spirit said:
I was really looking forward to the Volleyball mode but unfortunately I didn't exactly have a blast with it. Could be that I suck and don't understand how to properly play it though.

Hit the ball so that it doesn't land on your side. Every hit gets it farther away from your side and closer to the opponents. When it spins with the green spin effect, that is the time to hit it for a spike. Also, make use of jumping to hit the ball when it's above the net.

forest-spirit said:
Looking forward to trying some more. It's not a new Splatoon for me that's for sure but I've only played it for an hour and I'm not that big of a fan of fighting games so we'll see if it earns a place on my to-get list.

One thing about this demo is it doesn't do the best job at teaching the game. For example, the button layouts in the game do not mention that ZR and ZL in traditional controls also function as punching buttons. Last I checked, B and A are taught in-game as the buttons meant for left and right punch respectively which is awkward. ZL and ZR also work for punching with left and right respectively which is far more intuitive.

Around the Network

Man I suck at this game, lol. It's not clicking for me, but I can tell why others would enjoy it. Played for about 1 1/2 hours today. I tried with traditional controls for a bit but mostly played "thumbs-up" style.

Unlike the Wii Boxing and Punch-Out comparisons it's actually far more complex and more difficult than either of those games. 

I tried it out, and thought it was just okay. I played it in portable mode, though, and it sounds like the game is better using the motion-controls, so I'll test those out when I try it again. 

I find it too easy, been winning every match.

I think it's safe to say Helix is OP at Volleyball, still have yet to lose at it with him!

p0isonparadise said:
I find it too easy, been winning every match.

I imagine that's what ranked mode will be for. Tougher players climb the ranks.