By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese games are showing Western devs HOW IT'S DONE!

I agree, Resident Evil 7 is amazing, Persona looks decent, Zelda looks great.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

They are certainly finding themselves again, but let's not exagerate.

Renaissance my ass. Japanese games have been just fine all these years, you just have to look beyond the AAA bullshit. Sure, there have been a few heavy hitters from Japan just now. But I promise you, the moment the next bomb drops, there will be articles talking about japanese devs being doomed and everything.

You only come to such conclusions if your sight on the market is very narrow. Would you think czech republic has any meaning when it comes to game development? There aren's any AAA games from there, are there? SCS doesn't give a shit and is making millions with Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator anyway.

Seriously, stop being so focused just about so-called AAA games. The only thing that is AAA about them is the marketing. And I can also promise you that the moment GTA 6 drops there will be talks about how the west is oh-so superior to japanese devlopers and blah blah blah...

Always the same.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

In this thread: edgy people trying to act like Japanese games haven't been making a resurgence lately.

"but da Pokeymanz have always sold and scored well, your point is invalid!" LOLZ

Uabit said:
Polish (CDP) are showing every other developer out there how it's done.

Except making good gameplay, you know the thing you are doing 90% of the time. Trying to control your tank horse and slaying bad guys with one of the worst combat systems in AAA gaming.

OdinHades said:
Renaissance my ass. Japanese games have been just fine all these years, you just have to look beyond the AAA bullshit. Sure, there have been a few heavy hitters from Japan just now. But I promise you, the moment the next bomb drops, there will be articles talking about japanese devs being doomed and everything.

You only come to such conclusions if your sight on the market is very narrow. Would you think czech republic has any meaning when it comes to game development? There aren's any AAA games from there, are there? SCS doesn't give a shit and is making millions with Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator anyway.

Seriously, stop being so focused just about so-called AAA games. The only thing that is AAA about them is the marketing. And I can also promise you that the moment GTA 6 drops there will be talks about how the west is oh-so superior to japanese devlopers and blah blah blah...

Always the same.

I think it's you who is so focused on AAA games and trying too hard with putting stickers on them.

I dont give a shit how many As they have, I just want good games. Japanese games haven't been this exciting for me for a ~ decade.

Two things:

1) In my opinion, most Japanese video games are not good. AND...

2) In my opinion, most good games released this year to date are from Japan.

Both of those things can be and are true at the same time. Taking this year, I haven't bought so many new games from Japan in such a short span of time in seven years. The major winners out of Japan this year for my taste include Persona 5, NieR: Automata, Tales of Berseria, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And although for me these occupy a different tier, I also enjoyed Resident Evil 7, Gravity Rush 2, and am currently playing through Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with great enjoyment. You can say that they're all sequels, but frankly so are almost all hit Western games. Also very much interested in Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, ARMS, Sonic Mania, and Splatoon 2 for this summer. I haven't tried Nioh yet, though it does look interesting to me as well.

What I think a lot of video game developers, and many Japanese developers especially, have found this last year that they were missing before is a measure of balance in design philosophy. In my observation, over the course of this century, broadly speaking, video games have shifted toward a one-sided action focus. Let's take a single franchise as an illustration: Sonic the Hedgehog. We all know Sonic. And we all know how the classic Sonic games on the Genesis (or Mega Drive, as applicable) were a careful balancing act of speed and platforming in essence, where the newer ones strongly tend toward the speed side of that equation. Well in comes a retro title like Sonic Mania to revive the classic formula. That, together with the retro aesthetics themselves, makes it more exciting for fans than your average new Sonic game. Fans tend to favor the classics precisely because of their better game play balance. Same with Resident Evil. Since Resident Evil 4, we've seen the franchise move away from a balancing act of atmosphere, puzzle-solving, and action-combat in a way that one-sidedly favors action-combat at the expense of the other ingredients that made the franchise a success. But now, with RE7, we see things moving back toward the classic balance.

We could say something similar of Japanese RPGs. Japanese RPGs have had a lot of distinguishing hallmarks over time (some good and some bad), but perhaps the most distinguishing of them all has been their tendency to have strong stories and turn-based combat, where Western RPGs moved toward open worlds and action-combat earlier on. Since Xenoblade Chronicles came out, Japanese RPGs have gradually moved toward the Western formula. But now you're starting to see some push back. Lots of Japanese RPGs out this year have strong stories, some (like Tales of Berseria) use pretty linear world design to make sure their stories are good, and the most successful entry, Persona 5, also uses a turn-based battle system.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild revisits that franchise's roots in many ways as well. And how? By scaling back on the action focus and scaling up the franchise's original exploration and puzzle-solving elements (while also, notably, as a new innovation, introducing survival elements, which are quite awesome).

In short, this has been a year where Japanese developers have moved back toward classic, more balanced types of game design, and people are eating it up. That's because, broadly speaking, older games were often less one-sided in design terms. (Sorry kids! Maybe it's my age bias speaking, but that's just the way I feel about it.) That's what's working for a number of Japanese developers right now, I think.

I hate to put it a certain way, but overall, gamers are aging. Many of us don't have the reflexes we once did. Classic, more balanced game design is something that I suspect many of the older among us can remember and enjoy better at this stage of life. It's not just about calling up nostalgic aesthetics (although that doesn't hurt). It's also to do with just where our skill sets lie as we grow older. Maybe it just took the world's oldest population to figure that out.

It needn't be an ethnic or national thing though. We could say something similar of Uncharted 4, for example, which also succeeded by moving the franchise away from an action focus and toward a more balanced design approach. That may not be classic design for the Uncharted franchise, but it is for video games writ large. Maybe, seeing all this, more major Western developers (not just indie game makers) will catch on to the phenomenon I'm trying to point to here.

Around the Network

Last Guardian took 10 years to make and its nothing special and FF15, I wouldn't even have to try with that one. None of those games above are ground breaking so I wouldn't be putting them as the face of Japanese Devs do it better than Western Devs comparisons. Zelda BotW would have been a better point to make then those mentioned.. anyway..
Nintendo is the only Japanese company that can do it right and even than, there time frame for games isn't the greatest.
Basically I could make a clip of Western games show HOW ITS DONES thread easier.

Do I think Japanese games are, in general, better than European and American games? Yes.

Is this video at all convincing? No.

Like a lot of folks who claim some kind of Japanese gaming renaissance, the video makers are looking at the industry from a AAA perspective generally and a PS4 perspective particularly.

If you've been playing Japanese A and AA games and, more importantly, Nintendo first-party games for the last decade you wouldn't notice a decadent period, and thus wouldn't anticipate a rebirth.

No they aren't lmao. Western games overall have been dominating consoles for a long time now. Japan is obsessed with the west. Look at their animes.

That is actually a good point, Kyuu.

Ka-pi96 said:
Rem87919394 said:
No they aren't lmao. Western games overall have been dominating consoles for a long time now. Japan is obsessed with the west. Look at their animes.

They're massive overuse of stupidly high pitched j pop and Japanese school uniforms indicates an obsession with the west... how?

Some anime artist have admitted they copied Disney. Also how blond and blue eyed Japanese people are there? The huge eyes are a straight Disney ripoff. You can't be serious lmao