By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Year 1 - Week 52 - Global Switch Sales vs WiiU/XboxOne/3DS/PS4

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

So 3DS selling less than 5 games per HW and DS selling less than 6 is equally bad right?

Explain to me a platform that fighted piracy so much better and had several pokemon ending only 2 games ahead of PSP, and 3DS just 1 is bad right?

3DS has sold less than the PSP at 66m compared to 80m at the end of next year it'll be higher as it approaches the PSP's 80m and DS isn't impressive either but then that was the blue ocean when they were catering to casuals as well as it being the highest selling platform in history which is an anomaly much like the PS2.

So we have excuses for all situations right?

HH sell less SW, simple as that. And PSP were a first time, hadn't the stablished IPs from Nintendo so a 1 or 2 games less sold isn't unexpected. So if 3DS and DS sold less than 5 and less than 6, PSP selling a little less than 4 isn't entirely due to Piracy.

PSP was sucessfull and a PS5 portable could be as well, depending on how the platform holder makes the strategy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Wyrdness said:

3DS has sold less than the PSP at 66m compared to 80m at the end of next year it'll be higher as it approaches the PSP's 80m and DS isn't impressive either but then that was the blue ocean when they were catering to casuals as well as it being the highest selling platform in history which is an anomaly much like the PS2.

HH sell less SW, simple as that. And PSP were a first time, hadn't the stablished IPs from Nintendo so a 1 or 2 games less sold isn't unexpected. So if 3DS and DS sold less than 5 and less than 6, PSP selling a little less than 4 isn't entirely due to Piracy.

PSP was sucessfull and a PS5 portable could be as well, depending on how the platform holder makes the strategy.

NES and GB were first times for Nintendo your point? PSP had Playstation in the name which is a well known gaming brand with some first party titles from Sony finding their way onto the platform.

To further this 3DS has more million sellers (despite at the moment having 15m units less) than PSP when digital is taken into account the latter stands at 57 or so, DS has 139 million sellers even with the piracy, the ratio just doesn't favour PSP in any scenario. PSP having 4 has a lot to do with piracy and emulation why do you think third parties avoided it like the plague later on despite being okay with the DS a common complaint was the terrible SW sales the platform would return. Under your argument more games in the west should have come out for it if it did fine.

Atari was successful in the 80s maybe a new platform from them can be as well right? No PSP did well due to factors that weren't really its own merit hence Vita's destruction, Sony have shown they can't support two platforms at once the only way to have a PS5 portable is by having a hybrid and then they'll essentially be forced to fight Nintendo on an even playing field where the latter has the upper hand. In fact Nintendo would be delighted with that because then it would mean the would be far less of a gap between the hardware and PS5 games would make it to their platform as well while they maintain the likes of Pokemon and AC. MS would also love that as they could continue as the sole traditional console, it's nowhere near as simple as you're trying to paint it.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Rol, You know I'm not talking about putting the same chipset of PS5 on a portable, because if whatever PS5 have could be portable then PS5 would be to weak.

I'm talking about making a HW that is compatible in technology that with design philosophy from the begining all games can run on it on smaller resolution, IQ, etc.

If companies can make SW that scale back naturally from docked to undocked and that adapt to different models of cellphones and PCs they can make one that play on 2 HW with fixed capacity.

4K an High on PS5, 1080p on Medium for Portable already give some breath room for the HW.

PSP was fairly sucessful Rol, so it isn't impossible to compete. And being totally compatible already nulify any need of the devs to be really worried with portable, as long as they do the dialback that covers it, they are already doing it for PS4 and Pro

Yes, I know what you are talking about. You aren't aware how many concessions it takes to make a portable console. Right now Switch is state of the art and features processing power in portable mode that is far below the home consoles released in 2013. A portable companion system to the PS5 would be weaker than the PS4. What you ask for is pretty much the same as putting high-end PS4 games on Switch right now.

The sales of the PSP don't mean much when it was followed up with the Vita and Sony's exit from the handheld market. PSP sales got boosted by multimedia functionality, but smartphones took that selling point away. This creates an environment where portable consoles have to sell on games alone. The sample size we have for Sony is two systems, PSP and Vita. One moderate success, one huge failure. On the surface it's a 50% chance for another Sony portable to be successful, but the beneficial factors that led to the PSP's success cannot be replicated, so the real chance for success is below 10%.

Sony's portable would have to sell on games alone. We know that Sony's first party isn't strong enough to carry a system on its own, so third party support is essential. We know that the only third party support that could help is AAA, but up till now the market reception for AAA third party games on handhelds has been largely underwhelming. Switch isn't going to change that, because most AAA third parties aren't interested to begin with. They weren't interested in the Vita either. It will be incredibly difficult for Sony to create a competitive product to Switch, and assuming for a moment they would try, they would pitch a more powerful portable console than what Nintendo has. That's exactly what every competitor to Nintendo has done and it was never good enough to end Nintendo's dominance.

Here the interesting question is why does Nintendo always win. What makes portable gaming unique is that it cannot be production value driven because the hardware doesn't allow it; comparable home console games are always far ahead of their handheld counterparts. When you now look at all the successful software publishers who are not Nintendo, it won't take long until you realize that their success is virtually exclusively driven by production values. Nintendo, however, can thrive with and without production values, that's why they always get the upper hand in portable gaming.

Nope man, In 3 years we will have stronger HW than Switch. But the question isn't PS5 Portable being stronger than PS4, is their HW being compatible and running the same game at acceptable performance.

PSP is a moderate success by selling more than most Nintendo HH? And we are certainly changing the sole reason for PSP success... Notebooks and cellphones also do all PS4 do, and still the non-gaming functionalities of PS4 are quite appreciated.

They won't release a specific version for the portable, the games will be the same so they won't have to worry about the lack of 3rd parties support.

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

NES and GB were first times for Nintendo your point? PSP had Playstation in the name which is a well known gaming brand with some first party titles from Sony finding their way onto the platform.

To further this 3DS has more million sellers (despite at the moment having 15m units less) than PSP when digital is taken into account the latter stands at 57 or so, DS has 139 million sellers even with the piracy, the ratio just doesn't favour PSP in any scenario. PSP having 4 has a lot to do with piracy and emulation why do you think third parties avoided it like the plague later on despite being okay with the DS a common complaint was the terrible SW sales the platform would return. Under your argument more games in the west should have come out for it if it did fine.

Atari was successful in the 80s maybe a new platform from them can be as well right? No PSP did well due to factors that weren't really its own merit hence Vita's destruction, Sony have shown they can't support two platforms at once the only way to have a PS5 portable is by having a hybrid and then they'll essentially be forced to fight Nintendo on an even playing field where the latter has the upper hand. In fact Nintendo would be delighted with that because then it would mean the would be far less of a gap between the hardware and PS5 games would make it to their platform as well while they maintain the likes of Pokemon and AC. MS would also love that as they could continue as the sole traditional console, it's nowhere near as simple as you're trying to paint it.

Quite funny your argument. Basically you are favoring my point, considering all the million sellers of DS and 3Ds the sales is quite concentrated.

I love how when anything Sony does is sucessfull it isn't never Sony merit. We are done talking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Nope man, In 3 years we will have stronger HW than Switch. But the question isn't PS5 Portable being stronger than PS4, is their HW being compatible and running the same game at acceptable performance.

PSP is a moderate success by selling more than most Nintendo HH? And we are certainly changing the sole reason for PSP success... Notebooks and cellphones also do all PS4 do, and still the non-gaming functionalities of PS4 are quite appreciated.

They won't release a specific version for the portable, the games will be the same so they won't have to worry about the lack of 3rd parties support.

PSP has sold more than exactly 1 Nintendo handheld. 1 out of 4 is "most," according to you?

Also, it's ludicrous that you think that full PS5 games could run on any handheld released at the same time. How weak do you think PS5 is going to be? You must expect it to not even be 1.5 times more powerful than a PS4 Pro. If PS5 is a full generation leap (and why wouldn't it be?), developers would have no reason to make games that can run at such varying levels of performance. They saw how Vita turned out.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, that's the question. The answer is that it's not possible because the power gap will be way too big and third parties aren't going to build their games for portable mode because they rely on production values to sell their games.

Yes, PSP is only a moderate success. The hardware was sold at a loss in the beginning and the software sales weren't big in the long run, so it didn't generate much profit overall. For sales numbers you also have to take the size of the market at the time in account. For example, the Atari 2600 was a more successful console than the PSP despite selling ~50m units less. I haven't talked about a sole reason for the PSP's success, I have only talked about contributing factors that ceased to exist over time, hence why the Vita couldn't reach anywhere close to the same market penetration. If there's no reason to believe that these contributing factors can come back, then there's no reason to believe that Sony can replicate the sales numbers of the PSP.

If the games will be the same for the PS5 as for its portable counterpart, you run once again into the problem of the storage medium.

Well we do hear all the time that the gap is minimal between Switch and PS4Pro and that it is easy to scale down... We won't be sure unless Sony release the system. We are close to a peak of diminishing returns and considering screen size the gap may become quite minimal.

Storage medium certainly can be an issue for the portable that I won't deny they will need to find work arounds.

And about contributing factors it is possible most of then wouldn't help the portable today.

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
DonFerrari said:

PSP has sold more than exactly 1 Nintendo handheld. 1 out of 4 is "most," according to you?

Also, it's ludicrous that you think that full PS5 games could run on any handheld released at the same time. How weak do you think PS5 is going to be? You must expect it to not even be 1.5 times more powerful than a PS4 Pro. If PS5 is a full generation leap (and why wouldn't it be?), developers would have no reason to make games that can run at such varying levels of performance. They saw how Vita turned out.

I am more on the 2 out of 4 (GBA was basically a tie with PSP and 3 out of 5 with Switch until it outsell if it does the PSP), for the first try of Sony it was quite good.

Full PS5 game? What about a scale down? If PS2 could run Fifa versions of PS4 and Switch can run PS4 games, why can't we have a scalability that would run on the portable.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Well we do hear all the time that the gap is minimal between Switch and PS4Pro and that it is easy to scale down... We won't be sure unless Sony release the system. We are close to a peak of diminishing returns and considering screen size the gap may become quite minimal.

Storage medium certainly can be an issue for the portable that I won't deny they will need to find work arounds.

And about contributing factors it is possible most of then wouldn't help the portable today.

I don't hear that all the time. I haven't come across any such posts after NX speculation was over.

Besides, if you believe that such claims are stupid, then why are you making the same ones now?

I said it is stupid? What I ever said is that it isn't as simple as just put a dial, but it is doable.

I wish I could have this kind of nonsensical traction in my thread so it could stay on Hot Topics.

Controversy is key.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

PSP is a moderate success by selling more than most Nintendo HH?

Don, are you trying to say the PSP outsold most Nintendo portable consoles?  I'm trying to grasp what you are saying here.

From what I remembered only half the Nintendo HH sold considerably over PSP and the others didn't.

But sure my memory betrayed me and the "most" was wrong.

DonFerrari said:
StarDoor said:

I am more on the 2 out of 4 (GBA was basically a tie with PSP and 3 out of 5 with Switch until it outsell if it does the PSP), for the first try of Sony it was quite good.

Full PS5 game? What about a scale down? If PS2 could run Fifa versions of PS4 and Switch can run PS4 games, why can't we have a scalability that would run on the portable.

Hahaha, so you call PSP being behind GBA by 700k a tie, which you then count as a win? And then you consider Switch not having passed 80M in its first 8 months as a win for PSP as well?