Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NVIDIA CEO talks up Switch, why partnering with Nintendo made sense

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Shikamo said:

 

 

Source

 

Those red and green colors look like a very profitable Christmas to me.

Haha lol



Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
friendlyfamine said:

Nintendo already stated if they reach 10 million Switch units sold by the end of the year, they would either plan to make a reinforcement or cut the price. 

Where did Nintendo state these options? Source?



deskpro2k3 said:
The tone of his answer seems meh. I remember when Nvidia partnered up with Sony's PS3, and they were boasting, and excited and stuff. I didn't feel that excitement here from that answer.

Thats quite ironic, given that the PS3 having a GPU was an afterthought. I have no doubt that NVidia PS3 excitement was insincere and purely marketing/business driven. Why would they be so exited about being a last minute fix?



“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

TruckOSaurus said:
deskpro2k3 said:
The tone of his answer seems meh. I remember when Nvidia partnered up with Sony's PS3, and they were boasting, and excited and stuff. I didn't feel that excitement here from that answer.

Really? I thought it was quite glowing with quotes like "delighted me in a way no game console has done in the last 10 -15 years", "really innovative", "quite ingenious", "really delightful", "it's just a home-run", "perfect collaboration".

well yeah, when you hear it once already like for nvidia RSX inside the PS3, that excitement just doesn't feel the same. It's just nvidia being nvidia.



FunFan said:

Thats quite ironic, given that the PS3 having a GPU was an afterthought. I have no doubt that NVidia PS3 excitement was insincere and purely marketing/business driven. Why would they be so exited about being a last minute fix?

The GPU in the Playstation 3 wasn't an afterthought, It wouldn't have been much of a generational upgrade without one.
Nor is it entirely feasible just to drop a new GPU in last-minuit. You need new buses, dram, motherboard, packaging, cooling, overhauled software stack... Everything. The Playstation 3 was built with a GPU in mind from a very early stage.

The GPU in the Playstation 3 was a big chip... A very profitable chip. nVidia would have been stupidly pleased with itself for scoring that long-term contract.

Tegra is almost the opposite. It's a very small chip. A very low-profit margin chip and it is a relatively old chip, it's profit margins should be allot smaller for nVidia.
But if Nintendo can counter those lower margins with higher volumes (Which everything is pointing to that it can...), it should balance itself out in the long run.

nVidia's main revenue stream is still the PC. I think it's a good thing that nVidia finally scored a big design win with Tegra for once... And we can finally see what Tegra was always capable of from a gaming perspective, Android wasn't really showing us what it could do.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
KLAMarine said:

Can I get a link to this PS3 partnership reaction?

http://www.nvidia.com/page/console.html

https://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/07/11/nvidia_rsx_interview/2

A few things:

1. For what it's worth, the bit-tech link you posted seemed to quote David Kirk, "Nvidia's chief scientist and project lead of the division supplying the RSX chip" at the time ( https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-sony-deal-to-extend-beyond-ps3/1100-6129001/ ). The link provided by OP involved NVidia's co-founder and CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang.

2. David Kirk didn't focus too much on the PS3 in the bit-tech link. Focus seemed to be quite broad actually:

"So far our relationship with Sony has been great. We have a much closer relationship and share a much broader vision for the future of computing and graphics"

"Our commonality with Sony has led to a number of product areas that go beyond PlayStation 3. The business deal is structured so that both companies benefit. It's a really good realtionship"

"The deal goes beyond PS3. The future is looking good"

Contrast this to what Jen-Hsun Huang had to say:

"and in the case of the Nintendo Switch, it’s just an incredible console that fits in such a small form factor. And it could both be a mobile gaming device as well as a console gaming device"

"[Nintendo Switch] is a really, really innovative product and really quite ingenious. And if you ever have a chance to get it in your hands, it’s just really delightful"

"I said that [Nintendo Switch] delighted me in a way that no game console has done in the last 10 – 15 years"

3. The praise Huang had for the Switch was unsolicited if seekingalpha is to be believed. His praise followed a question where "Jen-Hsun Huang was asked if the company is interested in pursuing consoles further in light of Switch’s success". Notice in the following transcript how he goes on to praise the Switch without solicitation for said praise:

 

Atif Malik - Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.

Great. As a follow-up, with your win and success in Nintendo Switch, does that open up the console market with other console makers? Is that a business that is of interest to you?

Jen-Hsun Huang - NVIDIA Corp.

Consoles is not really a business to us. It's a business to them. And we're selected to work on these consoles. And if it makes sense and the strategic alignment is great and we're in a position to be able to do it, because the opportunity cost of building a game console is quite high. The number of engineers who know how to build computing platforms like this – and in the case of the Nintendo Switch, it's just an incredible console that fits in such a small form factor. And it could both be a mobile gaming device as well as a console gaming device. It's just really quite amazing, and they just did an amazing job.

Somebody asked me a few months ago before it was launched how I thought it was going to do. And of course without saying anything about it, I said that it delighted me in a way that no game console has done in the last 10 – 15 years. And it's true, this is a really, really innovative product and really quite ingenious. And if you ever have a chance to get it in your hands, it's just really delightful.

And so in that case, the opportunity to work on it was just really, really too enticing. We really wanted to do it, but it always requires deep strategic thought because it took several hundred engineers to work on, and they could be working on something else like all of the major initiatives we have. And so we have to be mindful about the strategic opportunity cost that goes along with these. But in the case of the Nintendo Switch, it's just a home run. I'm so glad I did it, and it was the perfect collaboration for us.

( https://seekingalpha.com/article/4071415-nvidia-nvda-q1-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single )

 

I think it's safe to say CEO Huang seemed more excited for the Switch than chief scientist Kirk did for the PS3.



Pemalite said:
FunFan said:

Thats quite ironic, given that the PS3 having a GPU was an afterthought. I have no doubt that NVidia PS3 excitement was insincere and purely marketing/business driven. Why would they be so exited about being a last minute fix?

The GPU in the Playstation 3 wasn't an afterthought, It wouldn't have been much of a generational upgrade without one.
Nor is it entirely feasible just to drop a new GPU in last-minuit. You need new buses, dram, motherboard, packaging, cooling, overhauled software stack... Everything. The Playstation 3 was built with a GPU in mind from a very early stage.

The GPU in the Playstation 3 was a big chip... A very profitable chip. nVidia would have been stupidly pleased with itself for scoring that long-term contract.

Tegra is almost the opposite. It's a very small chip. A very low-profit margin chip and it is a relatively old chip, it's profit margins should be allot smaller for nVidia.
But if Nintendo can counter those lower margins with higher volumes (Which everything is pointing to that it can...), it should balance itself out in the long run.

nVidia's main revenue stream is still the PC. I think it's a good thing that nVidia finally scored a big design win with Tegra for once... And we can finally see what Tegra was always capable of from a gaming perspective, Android wasn't really showing us what it could do.

Afterthought.



“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

TruckOSaurus said:

Really? I thought it was quite glowing with quotes like "delighted me in a way no game console has done in the last 10 -15 years", "really innovative", "quite ingenious", "really delightful", "it's just a home-run", "perfect collaboration".

He like really, really likes the Switch. Really.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

FunFan said:

Afterthought.

It wasn't an afterthought. It was just added in late. Sony's focus was on that terrible CPU.

And if you read the link you provided, they knew early on that running games purely on the SPU's was impossible.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Shikamo said:

 

 

Source

 

Those red and green colors look like a very profitable Christmas to me.

Subliminal messaging is alive and well!