By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Hardware Sales 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017: New Years numbers posted. 2017 ends at 20.2 million

Would you be interested in a 2017 vs. 2018 comparison?

Yes 475 69.24%

No 81 11.81%

Total:556

I think it all comes down to the price.

Yes PS4 will have games but it always does. The price card is the single biggest card don't has left to play.

If they drop the PS4s to $199 and then the PS4pro to $350 as early as E3 this year, then allow all the black Friday and fall deals to shave off another $30-$50 on a retailer by retailer temporal basis..... Then this year will be it's peak year.

Around the Network
PEEPer0nni said:

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.

I think the American market is grossly overrated. Yes, it's the single biggest market but what don't has done with Japan and EU markets shows an all round better strategy.

Sony can afford to come third in NA and still outsell the XB1 by over 7M units at years end. 

April 22nd numbers have been added.

PAOerfulone said:
April 22nd numbers have been added.

Nice, it seems like the PS4 is yoy sales are pretty flat and only lagging behind 2016 because that week had 53 weeks instead of 52. On the other hand selling 17 million units in a year is pretty impressive.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Intrinsic said:
PEEPer0nni said:

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.

I think the American market is grossly overrated. Yes, it's the single biggest market but what don't has done with Japan and EU markets shows an all round better strategy.

Sony can afford to come third in NA and still outsell the XB1 by over 7M units at years end. 

Exactly besides Sony will release it's biggest  IP for Europe this year. So they should focus maximising that potential instead of selling that extra 100k consoles in the USA.

Around the Network

And that 53rd week is actually suppsed to be 2015's according to Chartz. (So 2016 was actually slightly down yoy compared to 2015) and by the time I realized it, I didn't feel like going togeough the work to rearrange it, so I left it as is.

I expect it to stay flat for the most part but May and June will prove to be quite the tests. (June 2015 had Batman: Arkham Knight. May 2016 had Uncharted 4.) Perhaps Crash can provide that same boost this year in June. Time will tell.

Updated to include 4/29 Weekly Numbers

The PS4 will probably drop significantly next week. Going slowly towards 150k numbers till Crash arrives. That should bump the numbers up to another 200k week.

Qwark said:
The PS4 will probably drop significantly next week. Going slowly towards 150k numbers till Crash arrives. That should bump the numbers up to another 200k week.

I don't know about 'significantly'. According to Media Create: http://gematsu.com/2017/05/media-create-sales-5117-5717 
It was actually up slightly in Japan the following week. Don't know about North America or Europe, but I don't think we'll see 'that' much of a drop, if any. Though I do think it will continously decline. Because after the next week, its sales dropped by 10k over there and those following three weeks have been under 20k. If the same holds true for the other regions, PS4 2017 is in for a bit of a rough stretch until a certain marsupial crashes the party.

PAOerfulone said:
Qwark said:

I don't know about 'significantly'. According to Media Create: http://gematsu.com/2017/05/media-create-sales-5117-5717 
It was actually up slightly in Japan the following week. Don't know about North America or Europe, but I don't think we'll see 'that' much of a drop, if any. Though I do think it will continously decline. Because after the next week, its sales dropped by 10k over there and those following three weeks have been under 20k. If the same holds true for the other regions, PS4 2017 is in for a bit of a rough stretch until a certain marsupial crashes the party.

My guess is that the PS4 will sell 170k next week, 160k the week after and 150-160k for the rest of may. June will be better though since it has some interesting releases like Crash.