By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Hardware Sales 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017: New Years numbers posted. 2017 ends at 20.2 million

 

Would you be interested in a 2017 vs. 2018 comparison?

Yes 475 69.24%
 
No 81 11.81%
 
Total:556
xl-klaudkil said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Fixed that for you

Seriously, the Xbox One already starts seriously trailing behind the Switch by over 250k (780k to 1035k). At the same time the Switch is only 295 units behind the PS4 in US sales this year according to VgChartz, so Nintendo is a much bigger threat right now even in the US.

Nothing  is a threat for sony.

Ps4 install  base is extremely  bigger  then switch.

that literally has nothing to do with what he said, hes specifically talking about US sales in 2017.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Nothing  is a threat for sony.

Ps4 install  base is extremely  bigger  then switch.

that literally has nothing to do with what he said, hes specifically talking about US sales in 2017.

You can however question how bad Sony wants to win US, if they release GT Sport they will win the global holidays due to the Europe. But there is a big chance that Nintendo win US and Japan, since I don't see Sony releasing Spiderman, Dreams or Detroit this year. 



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

zorg1000 said:
PEEPer0nni said:
They need to release Spider-Man this year. Otherwise MS will have a chance to dominate the American market.

You really think Spider Man is that big of an X-factor?

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.



PEEPer0nni said:
zorg1000 said:

You really think Spider Man is that big of an X-factor?

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.

ya Spiderman can be a system seller but you are making it out to be what causes PS4 to outsell XBO this year and thats pretty naive. PS4 will likely outsell XBO with or without Spiderman



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think it all comes down to the price.

Yes PS4 will have games but it always does. The price card is the single biggest card don't has left to play.

If they drop the PS4s to $199 and then the PS4pro to $350 as early as E3 this year, then allow all the black Friday and fall deals to shave off another $30-$50 on a retailer by retailer temporal basis..... Then this year will be it's peak year.



Around the Network
PEEPer0nni said:

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.

I think the American market is grossly overrated. Yes, it's the single biggest market but what don't has done with Japan and EU markets shows an all round better strategy.

Sony can afford to come third in NA and still outsell the XB1 by over 7M units at years end. 



April 22nd numbers have been added.



PAOerfulone said:
April 22nd numbers have been added.

Nice, it seems like the PS4 is yoy sales are pretty flat and only lagging behind 2016 because that week had 53 weeks instead of 52. On the other hand selling 17 million units in a year is pretty impressive.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Intrinsic said:
PEEPer0nni said:

Yep, i believe Spider-man of all upcoming PS4 exclusives can have the biggest impact on the American market. Especially if you count kids as an important target audience.

I think the American market is grossly overrated. Yes, it's the single biggest market but what don't has done with Japan and EU markets shows an all round better strategy.

Sony can afford to come third in NA and still outsell the XB1 by over 7M units at years end. 

Exactly besides Sony will release it's biggest  IP for Europe this year. So they should focus maximising that potential instead of selling that extra 100k consoles in the USA.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

And that 53rd week is actually suppsed to be 2015's according to Chartz. (So 2016 was actually slightly down yoy compared to 2015) and by the time I realized it, I didn't feel like going togeough the work to rearrange it, so I left it as is.

I expect it to stay flat for the most part but May and June will prove to be quite the tests. (June 2015 had Batman: Arkham Knight. May 2016 had Uncharted 4.) Perhaps Crash can provide that same boost this year in June. Time will tell.