By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Phil Spencer's final test for Microsoft? Is his job on the line?

Could Phil Spencer's job be on the line?

Yes. 132 53.66%

No. 114 46.34%

Total:246
SegataSanshiro said:
He wants to do away with single player games so either he or Xbox may not last much longer. This kind of thinking killed Phantom Dust and Scalebound. meanwhile the highest rated games this year and best selling are single player games. He needs to rethink his stance.

I´ve been noticing for a while that MS´s interest in single player games seems to be waning compared to online multiplayer games.You´re right, there´s Horizon, Nier, Zelda, Nioh, Persona 5, etc...all single player games and all reviewing quite well.3rd parties are all over online mp games so maybe they could differentiate themselves by having a good catalogue of exclusive sp games, like Sony does....thing is, for all we know Phil might want to, or might have wanted to at some point, but the real decision makers don´t seem to have an interest in doing so.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
No, I don't think it's his final test because like others have said the Xbox brand is still making billions, mostly due to xbox live but still all it comes down to is money. But i would like to see a more aggressive push for the xbox brand with more first party games.

Billions? Are you sure? I don't know about that lately. Anyway, they could do much better. Phil has done well, but maybe someone else needs to take the wheel now. To take them to the next level. 

Hes better than Mattrick, but he still has not fixed Microsoft's first party problem and keeps relying on third party to create IP (which means they are beholden to their effort and talents for sequels. They should've learend their lesson after they bought the Gears IP from Epic. Creative studios dont like to stay focused on one franchise forever.

SegataSanshiro said:
Snoopy said:

Mostly single player games came out this year so far. When Battle Front, Cod, Sports games, Destiny, ect release they will destroy every single player game as usual. 

The single player games will still e higher rated and win more awards. No one is playing CoD crash boom world war modern world war II warefare Black Donuts edition in 15 years. Zelda Botw and Persona 5 will be. SP games have more staying power in general. With exceptions of course but SP games usually stick around longer.

What are you talking about? There are still people playing COD MW2 on the xbox mp wise alone. There might be a lot of people playing it sp wise too still.

JGarret said:
SegataSanshiro said:
He wants to do away with single player games so either he or Xbox may not last much longer. This kind of thinking killed Phantom Dust and Scalebound. meanwhile the highest rated games this year and best selling are single player games. He needs to rethink his stance.

I´ve been noticing for a while that MS´s interest in single player games seems to be waning compared to online multiplayer games.You´re right, there´s Horizon, Nier, Zelda, Nioh, Persona 5, etc...all single player games and all reviewing quite well.3rd parties are all over online mp games so maybe they could differentiate themselves by having a good catalogue of exclusive sp games, like Sony does....thing is, for all we know Phil might want to, or might have wanted to at some point, but the real decision makers don´t seem to have an interest in doing so.

Microsofts bread and butter isnt in gaming like their competition,  so if a game is not selling well then it spells a problem for the gamers who have supporting their titles. Recore and Quantum Break didnt sell so hot which has prompted Remedy to go multiplatform (I hope Capcom and Square Enix have learned their lessons as well). Nintendo and Sony have identities in delivering certain titles. Nintendo's revolves around single player, Platforming and party games and Sonys revolves around story driven experiences, sports and third person shooters. 

The problem resides here as Micosoft and Spencer respond to the issue as businessment first and gamers second:

1) The quality of games are not on par with expectation

2) Bad marketing

3) Audience that is not drawn to single player experiences unless it comes from third party.

I think its becoming evident that without Microsoft have a hot new single player IP their gamers are primarily dependent on third party. They are trying to emulate the service based experience like games in the vein of GTA.

I dont think Spencers job is on the line, but this E3 will be a big one. Xbox as a brand is a very controversial brand, because they dont opperate like a traditional console brand. It seems like their endeavors are to push PC and console extremely close together almost void of differences.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
I thought that he's been considered to be a success? Especially after following Don Mattrick.

Eh Xbox sales still less than half of PS4. Very little Japanese support. Cancelled 3 games people were looking forward to. Damaged releations with a major 3rd party in Japan which they are in need more of not less. While PS4 has dominated with exclusives so far this year and Switch making a lot of buzz and sales with Zelda and a Wii U port. They are eating Xbox's lunch. MS has made little effort so far to respond. All they really did was stealth release Halo Wars 2...or at least felt like a stealth release. Better than Don yes but still seems like he's not doing a great job. Phil feels more like a yes man who is a PR guy while others calls the shots and he is just the public face.

jason1637 said:
No, I don't think it's his final test because like others have said the Xbox brand is still making billions, mostly due to xbox live but still all it comes down to is money. But i would like to see a more aggressive push for the xbox brand with more first party games.

I'm not sure if billions is the right term but yea xbox live makes money.

I dunno why you want them to put a full stop to pandering to the PC market. They've had their hand in that one for years. After having ignored it during the Xbox to 360 era, they finally see it growing bigger and bigger, that they no longer want to ignore it let alone have anyone else take it away from them (which Steam did for the most part). They came from that market, it makes sense for them to do business with it.

I don't see a world where they build games exclusively on PC and exclusively on Xbox, they just aren't in that business anymore, it's all about building games that can be played on both, for different markets to tap into. Also costs them more money to make games separately for the two markets than it does for one.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Snoopy said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Xbox still makes money. He has done a phenomenal job cleaning up the mess of Mattrick. I don't think he is on any tight rope of any sort.

This. What people forget is xbox one isn't doing as well as it could because Mattrick screwed a lot of things up at the very beginning.

And even with the ossified lineup it's still doing better than it's predecessor and this is not an incredibly complicated thing. Seriously, I know the guy isn't the best, but he's doing alright. Definitely wished it was Peter Moore though... 

AsGryffynn said:
Snoopy said:

This. What people forget is xbox one isn't doing as well as it could because Mattrick screwed a lot of things up at the very beginning.

And even with the ossified lineup it's still doing better than it's predecessor and this is not an incredibly complicated thing. Seriously, I know the guy isn't the best, but he's doing alright. Definitely wished it was Peter Moore though... 

Hasn't that been proven to be false?