By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation 2, has its lack of quality made its sales record untouchable?

Gballzack said:
Christopher_G2 said:
People who need to hate on Sony exagerate the PS2 lack of quality issues. True, the original bulky version was not the durable system out there, but it's not like every other system ended up breaking down. And when a PS2 does break down there are places you can take to get it fixed (or try to) so it's not like it automatically means another PS2 sale if you want to keep playing the system.

True people exagerate but that doesn't excuse the undeniable truth that persists. And while the slims had a far better track record than the originals, they still had their own myriad of issues, in particular, over heating. Call it Sony hating if you want but I expect a console to meet a certain standard for the money I'm paying for it. There's no excuse the PS2 couldn't meet the same level of quality as the Gamecube when they were designing it, it's not my fault people are so willing to accept the mistakes of big companies as unavoidable facts of life that should be embraced. There's also a great differences between someone who indiscriminately hates on a Company and someone who rolls over and accepts whatever that Company feeds them, where ever you think I stand on that scale is your call, but don't use it as an excuse to hide from the truth.

WOW, you're so full of crap it's not even funny.

Around the Network
Chubear said:
Gballzack said:
Christopher_G2 said:
People who need to hate on Sony exagerate the PS2 lack of quality issues. True, the original bulky version was not the durable system out there, but it's not like every other system ended up breaking down. And when a PS2 does break down there are places you can take to get it fixed (or try to) so it's not like it automatically means another PS2 sale if you want to keep playing the system.

True people exagerate but that doesn't excuse the undeniable truth that persists. And while the slims had a far better track record than the originals, they still had their own myriad of issues, in particular, over heating. Call it Sony hating if you want but I expect a console to meet a certain standard for the money I'm paying for it. There's no excuse the PS2 couldn't meet the same level of quality as the Gamecube when they were designing it, it's not my fault people are so willing to accept the mistakes of big companies as unavoidable facts of life that should be embraced. There's also a great differences between someone who indiscriminately hates on a Company and someone who rolls over and accepts whatever that Company feeds them, where ever you think I stand on that scale is your call, but don't use it as an excuse to hide from the truth.

WOW, you're so full of crap it's not even funny.

You say that but is there any truth to it? I see nothing provided on your part to counter anything I've said or point out any flaws.

I guess consumers like yourself are so used to being shit upon you just take it for granted. What I don't understand is why you want to worship the companies that do it to you.

Gballzack said:

You say that but is there any truth to it? I see nothing provided on your part to counter anything I've said or point out any flaws.

I guess consumers like yourself are so used to being shit upon you just take it for granted. What I don't understand is why you want to worship the companies that do it to you.

Please. Your arguments are silly. Certain standards? Noone is going to discuss this shit. Woman's mind and hardware... Funny.

Gballzack said:

Love it or hate we all own or owned one, and with the highest sales figures of any console in history, one has to ask, can anyone even touch it? Even if the Wii is more popular and more individuals buy the Wii than the PS2, can the a relatively quality ensured product like the Wii ever compete with the PS2 of the last gen whose infamous lack of quality control coupled with cheep parts forced many consumers to buy multiple units over the last seven years. Granted, I know people who have only ever had to buy one PS2 and have never had any problems with it but I also know people who have had to buy six, yes six, PS2s due to their constant breaking, and anyone not blind knows this was no small trend (albeit not always quite so many PS2s per individual). Can the Wii ever reach the PS2's grandeur in sales with a console that isn't built to break and forces the consumer to buy a new one? Arguably more people could own a Wii than people who owned a PS2 and the PS2 could still beat the Wii in sales by the end of a respective 7 year run for each.

Certainly the Xbox and other consoles in the past have had similar problems, but none ever to the extent the PS2 has become known for. And while there will always be consoles damaged due to user error and lack of common sense, the sheer numbers can't account for this as the only cause in the PS2's production run.

Sources? Figures? Comparison Figures?

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

kber81 said:
Gballzack said:

Please. Your arguments are silly. Certain standards? Noone is going to discuss this shit. Woman's mind and hardware... Funny.

You're right. No one is going to discuss this stuff when people, like yourself, try and turn this into a flamewar.

If you have a problem with the argument, then dismantle it in a logical and civil manner. Resorting to sexism will win you no sympathizers, but it may win you a ban.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I'd guess the number of replacements for PS2s or 360s does not add up to anything significant, especially if they're considered replacements not new sales. And yeah, this topic is going downhill fast...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

One thing that should be pointed out. You look at the overall software to hardware ratio from last gen the PS2 easily comes on top. 17 of the top 20 sellers last gen in the US were PS2. So really if the replacement problems are as bad as some people claim than the people who are replacing them must at the same time be buying a lot of games to make up for it.

sieanr said:

You're right. No one is going to discuss this stuff when people, like yourself, try and turn this into a flamewar.

If you have a problem with the argument, then dismantle it in a logical and civil manner. Resorting to sexism will win you no sympathizers, but it may win you a ban.

Here goes a knight for rescue...

Ok. Sorry mods. I quit right now.

yea my PS2 had a problem once I replaced it too. That might be because I played the shit out of it. used it as my primary DVD player for years too. On that note if my Gamecube ever broke down i probly would have just thown that shit away, and never thought twice about replacing it. Isn't it a little early to say the Wii doesn't or will not have quality problems? It did take around 3 years for my PS3 to break (it was a launch system). Wow you know someone who replaced a PS2 six times? did they know you can't play PS2 under water?

Tispower said:
Gballzack said:

Love it or hate we all own or owned one, and with the highest sales figures of any console in history, one has to ask, can anyone even touch it? Even if the Wii is more popular and more individuals buy the Wii than the PS2, can the a relatively quality ensured product like the Wii ever compete with the PS2 of the last gen whose infamous lack of quality control coupled with cheep parts forced many consumers to buy multiple units over the last seven years. Granted, I know people who have only ever had to buy one PS2 and have never had any problems with it but I also know people who have had to buy six, yes six, PS2s due to their constant breaking, and anyone not blind knows this was no small trend (albeit not always quite so many PS2s per individual). Can the Wii ever reach the PS2's grandeur in sales with a console that isn't built to break and forces the consumer to buy a new one? Arguably more people could own a Wii than people who owned a PS2 and the PS2 could still beat the Wii in sales by the end of a respective 7 year run for each.

Certainly the Xbox and other consoles in the past have had similar problems, but none ever to the extent the PS2 has become known for. And while there will always be consoles damaged due to user error and lack of common sense, the sheer numbers can't account for this as the only cause in the PS2's production run.

Sources? Figures? Comparison Figures?

This needs to be repeated. This thread is pointless without numbers to back up the argument.