By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Dark Tower - The Motion Picture

I read the whole series in succession a few months ago, but i'm finding it hard to muster up much excitement for the film. I'm normally fine powering through a long series, but TDK left me exhausted. I'll probably watch it at some point though, if only because it's technically a sequel to the books and i'm sure i'll eventually be interested in seeing how they approached that. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Also in the books & comics hes not a black man (right?).

I am guessing this is why Sussanah calling him a "honkey mofo" will not be included in the adaptation.

thismeintiel said:
Machiavellian said:
Personally I would like the reverse and have Elba as the villain and Matt as the Gunslinger. Oh well, the trailer does look interesting and actually may get me to go back to the books and finish them.

I also need to finish the books.  My biggest problem with this movie, besides screwing up the casting and look of the characters (seriously, Roland looks like a Blade wannabe, now), is that they aren't even adapting the books correctly.  It's pretty damn obvious to do this 1 book, 1 movie.  Instead this movie is trying to fit much of the entire series into one movie, pulling elements from 3 books, plus supposedly have some story that's supposed to take place after the last book.  This is going to be a complete clusterfuck of a movie.

It probably would have been best if they did the movie like Perter Jackson did the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.  Do not try to put an entire book series in a couple movies.

Nymeria said:
JRPGfan said:

Also in the books & comics hes not a black man (right?).

I am guessing this is why Sussanah calling him a "honkey mofo" will not be included in the adaptation.

Well he can call him a spade or some other derogatory name for a black person.  Hell, they could even throw in the N word which would be so interesting how that would go down.

Machiavellian said:
Nymeria said:

Well he can call him a spade or some other derogatory name for a black person.  Hell, they could even throw in the N word which would be so interesting how that would go down.

Detta/Odetta / Sussanah (sp?) is a black woman in the books.  I guess she could be a self hater like Clayton Bigsby ...

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
Machiavellian said:

Detta/Odetta / Sussanah (sp?) is a black woman in the books.  I guess she could be a self hater like Clayton Bigsby ...

Oh than that makes it even better.  Black women have all kinds of names for their men.  Anyway it probably would not have the same racial tension so they probably would just leave it out.

Zekkyou said:

I read the whole series in succession a few months ago, but i'm finding it hard to muster up much excitement for the film. I'm normally fine powering through a long series, but TDK left me exhausted. I'll probably watch it at some point though, if only because it's technically a sequel to the books and i'm sure i'll eventually be interested in seeing how they approached that. 

You need super sized quotations marks and italicized words to your Spoiler Comment. This is in no way a Sequel, despite what the director claims.

Raistline said:
Zekkyou said:

You need super sized quotations marks and italicized words to your Spoiler Comment. This is in no way a Sequel, despite what the director claims.

This came from King's twitter... so who is to say.  I don't want to have to do spoiler text so check this out

edit; ok shit I just meant to show the picture and link to his page but it links the post instead .... sorry

Raistline said:
Zekkyou said:

I felt like "technically" was sufficient. My understanding was that the film follows on from where the last book ends, with the time loop reset but with a new variable (Roland having the Horn of Eld in his possession). That's what it seemed like Stephen King was implying anyway when he tweeted a picture of the horn with "Last Time Round" on-top. Has something been said since then to negate all that? I've not kept up to date since then sorry.

i never got a chance to read these series... even though stephen king is my godfather