By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A (maybe not so) modest proposal, Re: VGC sales tracking.

Should VGC do this?

Definitely! 8 44.44%

Would be nice, but it'd ... 9 50.00%

Not worth it/Fine with current status quo 1 5.56%

Total:18

I do miss when this site's charts were always being updated every week, now it's slow as fuck and is always a like a month behind for a while now.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
think-man said:
Maybe you should ask ioi to sell the site to you ;P

Y'know, if I had the money, I might actually consider that. Unfortunately I'm not rich enough to buy a website like this, plus I don't know the first thing about running a website. The most I ever did was an old GeoCities page and a Wordpress blog.

Maybe if I ever win the lottery.

I doubt this site would cost much.  I can't imagine it is making much money.  If it was, the owner would give a shit.  I've seen similar forums, with what I think is similar traffic, sell from around $3000, to about $15,000.  

This one does have a fair amount of advertising.  So, it is possible that a little bit or money is made, considering that everyone works for free.  Maybe it would be in the top end of that range.  

Shadow1980 said:
mutantsushi said:
This thread seems premised on understanding of VGC that is far at odds with reality.
And I am unsure exactly what is horrible with #'s being off by a few percentage points.
What exactly is hyper precision needed for? I can't imagine, aside from financial accounting.
How can you post such a detailed post and ignore such a basic issue of relevancy?

20+% is not "a few." Margins of error like that would be considered unacceptable anywhere else...

I'm sorry, I look at the charts you posted and I see the lines tracking each other very closely, even getting small changes,
while apparently the discrepancy comes in exact scale of peaks for short periods of a month or so.
As you say, VGC isn't believed to be a hyper-accurate source of info, so it is fulfilling expectations of it.

You completely fail to address WHY this needs to change, or what use value is achieved by VGC changing it's ways.
I dont' understand why the VGC approach is inadequate for informative needs of amateur forum goers with an interest.
It is grossly approximating the overall sales picture, as the charts show. What is the need for hyper precision?
Financial professionals pay for access to necessary data for there trade.
If you need/want to function at that level, why wouldn't you use those professional tools like other who need/want it?
What is the outcome of implementing this change? Internet fanbois will suddenly become coherent and rational?

mutantsushi said:
Shadow1980 said:

20+% is not "a few." Margins of error like that would be considered unacceptable anywhere else...

I'm sorry, I look at the charts you posted and I see the lines tracking each other very closely, even getting small changes,
while apparently the discrepancy comes in exact scale of peaks for short periods of a month or so.
As you say, VGC isn't believed to be a hyper-accurate source of info, so it is fulfilling expectations of it.

You completely fail to address WHY this needs to change, or what use value is achieved by VGC changing it's ways.
I dont' understand why the VGC approach is inadequate for informative needs of amateur forum goers with an interest.
It is grossly approximating the overall sales picture, as the charts show. What is the need for hyper precision?
Financial professionals pay for access to necessary data for there trade.
If you need/want to function at that level, why wouldn't you use those professional tools like other who need/want it?
What is the outcome of implementing this change? Internet fanbois will suddenly become coherent and rational?

The biggest issue with vgchartz numbers are the enormous margins of error with contemporary numbers, they're quite precise after the fact and after exstensive adjustment. The problem is having a running discussion on running figures if these are very faulty. For instance, the PS4 was overtracked by an insane 40-50% for almost all of Q1 last year, that makes all discussion on its sales for the period worthless with any basis in our own numbers and that's a huge issue. Who wants to come in and discuss numbers months after the sales themselves, or simply spend their time bashing the lack of precision by citing other sources?

That's vgchartz' biggest issue, by far, even more than the soul-destroying ads.