By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 90s stuff you miss the most?

Paperboy_J said:
The music (which I still listen to , BTW, I just hate the fact that I'm the only one).

Nah, you've got company. Just listened to some old Nas, Mobb Deep, and Wu-Tang on my jog yesterday.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Fei-Hung said:

Problem is, they will probably charge £5 per go in this day and age. 

Fuck you inflation, fuck you.

I also wish Nintendo would bring back their "Now you're playing with power!!" slogan.

Inflation is the mother of all biznitches.

Ka-pi96 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Fuck you inflation, fuck you.

I don't think that's really an inflation thing, more that companies have become much greedier and people more willing to accept their high prices these days.

Here in Japan arcades are still mostly ¥100 a go, which is probably around $1. So they certainly don't have to charge a lot more than that...

I Just think with the release of the PS1&2, the need for arcades died out in the west. People didn't see a point in spending 50p-£1 for a few rounds when they could buy the game for £30-35.

I must have spent over £300 playing Time Crisis 1&2 competing for the highest score . Over £100 on Tekken and then there was Street Fighter, Soul Blade etc. 

Now that they no longer have light gun, dancing and certain other games on consoles, or a severe lack of them, they should try reintroduce them. 

I miss this feeling of having computers much more powerful every year. In a single decade I heard my first mp3, saw my first 3D game, my first accelerated game, the first (relatively) high definition trailer, internet, broadband, and so many other things, everything was so exciting and new. It seemed it would never end, and then all of sudden it slowed a lot, diminishing returns happened.

I wouldn't know, I was born at the tailend I remember the early 2000's though. Which were not too dissimilar. Biggest differences between the 1990's and early 00's is the 00's was the rise of the internet and international conflict that continues into today

Around the Network

My original NES and games. I sold it to my wife's coworker right after we got married in 1995. Regretful.

CaptainExplosion said:

With all the responses I've gotten like this one, I've been thinking; Is the world really getting worse with each passing decade?

No, it's not. That's just how it seems because we're getting older, more jaded, and more cynical.

We see the years of our youth through the lens of nostalgia and see any deviations from the way things were back then as inherently negative. The world has in many ways gotten better since the 90s; there have been breakthroughs in the treatment and prevention of many diseases, literacy rates for women have improved, infant mortality has decreased, global life expectancy has risen , etc.

CaptainExplosion said:
Fei-Hung said:

I Just think with the release of the PS1&2, the need for arcades died out in the west. People didn't see a point in spending 50p-£1 for a few rounds when they could buy the game for £30-35.

I must have spent over £300 playing Time Crisis 1&2 competing for the highest score . Over £100 on Tekken and then there was Street Fighter, Soul Blade etc. 

Now that they no longer have light gun, dancing and certain other games on consoles, or a severe lack of them, they should try reintroduce them. 

YES PLEASE!!

I itching for a point blank game! 

Ka-pi96 said:
archer9234 said:

That's mainly caused by how easy it is to watch something now. Nothings really new anymore. Attention spans/lazyness have gotten bad. Shows can't even have opening themes anymore.

That's... not a bad thing!

I hate opening themes. They're just a waste of time, and they're always the same. Worth watching the first time to see what it's like, but after that... they just need a skip button or something on them

The opening of TNG was amazing every time! Enterprise' opening, not so much, like the rest of the show. I miss going over to friends to watch TNG over dinner then play tabletop AD&D or a boardgame.

I miss the optimism over VR, AI, talking computers, robots, the future in general.

The initial craze for Pokemon. Good times.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)