By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is cutting the PS3's price cheating?

The reason the PS3 is "winning" is that Sony decided to take massive loses in hardware revenue in order to drop the price. Is it any wonder that the PS3 only began to win when the price dropped in the US and Europe?

The Playstation has alot of brand name recognition, and is very popular. However, the price was (and still is) so restrictive for the casual Playstation gamer, it prevents them from thinking about the console. However, with the price dropping to $400 USD for the base model, more people can justify the purchase of the console than at the $500 base price of the 20GB model.

And in Europe, I believe the impact is magnified due to the Playstation having a much better track record. Nintendo never, ever did well in Europe before the Wii, and Microsoft did good, but not great - Sony has always done fantastic there (as opposed to Nintendo still holding well in the US, and Microsoft doing well in the US as well).

All is fair in love and business, and Sony, in the past 20 weeks, has done more to sell hardware than Microsoft has - we've seen that the Xbox 360's price drop in Europe has done rather well, but not to the PS3's level, and have haven't seen what a $100 USD reduction would/could do to the 360 in the USA.

So I think that it all comes down to cold, hard cash. Microsoft is making a killing on hardware now compared to what Sony is, but is sacrificing the 2nd place LTD sales position this generation for it....Like I've been saying for the past 2 years: Sony will win the console wars due, primarily, to good brand name recognition in Europe, and a very long console lifecycle. But not without huge costs (since this has been the first console they've ever lost money are, and probably won't make it back for another few years).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Sony are cheap but not quite cheap enought for me yet, Xbox released a faulty machine just like sony did with the original PS2, I just dont get why the tactic is not working for microsoft like it did for Sony back then, maybe better PR spin? I dunno but i never bought a PS2 for that reson not getting a 360.

I agree, plus let's not forget that sony is still the only company to have a last-gen console still fighting hard in the console race. the PS2 still manages to sell well even though it's former competitors are long gone (GC, XBOX). If more people eventually begin to shift from PS2 to PS3 faster, their numbers will be more successful.

CaptainPrefrences said:

today at lunch, i was talking with my friends, all of them own a 360. so i was saying that ps3 has been outselling the 360 ww for 19 weeks, and it outsold 360 in america for 2 montyhs, and they were like "its only because sony cut the price" and they started bitching liek typical fanboys.

then i said, its not my fault or sonys fault that MS released a console a year before and lost Billions in the RROD, and you still dont get a new console when they return it.

my point is that every console goes through a price drop through its life. 360 mightve had less, but they released a piece of crap hardware to be honest, and lost billions in TRYING, to fix it.

they also said that 360 is losing because ps3 came otu last. this is false. the ps1 came out before the n64, and it still raped the n64 by more than 40 million, AND nintendo had a good rep from the snes. ps2 came out a year b4 xbox and gamecube, and otusold them by more than 3 times.

so is sony really being cheap?

I'm only going to say this:

Actually, I will say more.

No, Sony is not being cheap at all.  If they were being cheap they would stick to their guns and keep the $600/500 price tags.  Luckily they finally started showing some sense and decided to be not so cheap to take some losses to make a few price cuts. 

Both console companies do not care that much about which console outsells who in hardware. It is all about making profits. Only people who care so much about console numbers are fanboys.

Around the Network

@ Soriku

yea thats what im saying to them, any console has to go through a price cut sometime in its life.

almost 1000 posts !

WAIT WAIT WAIT

back the truck up!

when did th ps3 have a price cut?!?!

we have had one!!!

in close too two years!

599 & 499

after price cut

399 & 499

lol slap your freinds for me plasse!

the 360 got a price cut 2 weeks ago in others!

AND we still outsold th 360 in others!!!! LOL

when pople compair 360-vs ps3 its like

a 1969 pinto vs a ferrari!
pinto= 360 ps3 = ferrri! lol

thay both do same thing (play games )

but the ps3 has all the bells in whistles in just cost a liltle bit more!

but hey what woudl you rather be s in a ferrari or a pinto your choice :)

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

Making first party games, THAT is cheating!

If anything, Microsoft cheated by releasing early and having better games!

And Nintendo cheated by making their system too cheap and too fun for casual players.

There are no rules and no cheating in console sales. Bundling is not cheating, neither are price cuts or paid exclusives. Every company had the right to do what they think is necessary to be successful.

M$ has cut the price on the 360 so what your friends are saying makes no sense

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815