By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: SNES Mini currently in development

JOKA_ said:
Ive started to associate Nintendo with consoles that I want but can't find/buy. I've stopped bothering to try.

On a similar boat

I didn't actively try to get one, only If I found it at the store or online. Never did or I was always too late for online.

Currently same for the Switch.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

I'll be happy with:

Super Mario World, Zelda ALTTP, Super Punch Out, FF5, FF6, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Super Bomber Man, Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter Turbo, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Killer Instinct, and Earthbound

Ultrashroomz said:
OdinHades said:

Why is that?

Some sort of legal issues with the manufacter of the Super FX chip or whatever, which both of those games used.

Neither Star Fox nor the original Yoshi's Island ever showed up on Wii/Wii U's Virtual Console, and Nintendo ended up rereleasing the GBA version of Yoshi's Island instead, so yeah...

Well, if we are talking about patents, they expire in 25 years anyway. Of course Nintendo does not need to sell the chip when releasing a downloadable version of the game, so my guess would be that the problem is the assembly language used in SFX games, that Nintendo would need to distribute along with the game, and now that Argonaut is defunct, it's next to impossible to license the assembly language, and I don't know if it takes 25 or 75 years for that to become public domain. They always could port the games instead of emulating.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

If it happens I'll have to preorder because NES Classic shortages were a big fuck you to many loyal fans. They better release the NES Classic Edition again next holiday season. I'm about to write a fuck you letter to Nintendo demanding another release.

sethnintendo said:

If it happens I'll have to preorder because NES Classic shortages were a big fuck you to many loyal fans. They better release the NES Classic Edition again next holiday season. I'm about to write a fuck you letter to Nintendo demanding another release.

so true.

it would be very stupid for Nintendo to not release the NES Classic again. Make some improvements (cord length, hacking), maybe make it $70 to make it more profitable for them, it'd still have the exact same demand at the price. Of course they shot themselves in the foot by the simple fact of massively under producing them and then cancelling them, surely some people just won't bother getting it if they release the nes classic again later on.

But they could seriously carve out a nice retro industry with mini NES, SNES, and n64 selling probably 10s of millions of them combined around the world. Could make Nintendo an extra $1 billion dollar profit.

The coolest situation would be that they give these babies wifi and access to a shop where you can buy and download all the titles you want. That way they don't have to sell you a $300 system in order to sell their retro titles. Could greatly expand the virtual console market for them.

Around the Network

This will release at a far higher price than $60, I would be surprised if its less than $99.
Nintendo discontinued the last one which was the correct choice to make from a business sense because they misjudged the market and charged far to little. They couldnt really go back and say whoops we made a mistake with the $60 we meant to say $100 as people would be massively pissed off, so discontinuing it was the best choice

An SNES Mini without Yoshi's Island or Starfox just wouldn't be right, it'd be like a PS1 mini without Spyro or Castlevania SOTN.

GProgrammer said:
This will release at a far higher price than $60, I would be surprised if its less than $99.
Nintendo discontinued the last one which was the correct choice to make from a business sense because they misjudged the market and charged far to little. They couldnt really go back and say whoops we made a mistake with the $60 we meant to say $100 as people would be massively pissed off, so discontinuing it was the best choice

Yeah I definitely agree, although I think $99 would be too high and might stunt sales a bit. $79 to me would be the perfect price point to maximize sales.