By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition Metascore Prediction - 92 Meta and 92,32% GR

Qwark said:
Johnw1104 said:

If it finishes 92 or higher it'd have to be considered a major critical success.

I consider every game above 89 a major critical Succes.  But I want to know if it can beat the highest rated exclusive remaster. It's really close so I guess it can actually beat it.

To be fair, original TLoU had much better score from start, 95 score, and remaster is released just one year later with same score, while original MK8 had score of 88 and actual remaster 3 years later has much better score currently, 94.

It's actually very rare that Remaster receive higher score than original game, and MK8D achieved exatly that.

Around the Network

Nice! Hopefully it stays above 90+ so the Switch can get its 2nd 90+ "exclusive" game in less than 2 months!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

mZuzek said:
Wow, what the hell. I never expected it to score this high, as ports/remasters/remakes never do. I mean, for the most part, it's just the same game..? I'm shocked.

I sense sarcasm or "pretending to be shocked". Regardless, it shouldn't be too surprising. Much like TLoUR or GTAV, you're taking an already great game, fixing some stuff, possibly adding more features, no way to mess that up. It will certainly give people more of an incentive to get a Switch

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

BraLoD said:
Nuvendil said:

My point was that *he* brought it up without consideration for other variables as a reason to dismiss the score when numerous other logical explanations can be put forward.  The game includes all DLC plus new content, it won't have been reviewed by the same individuals, etc.  Saying that portability causes a net boost to game scores seems like a very trite and half baked rationale for dismissing a score someone doesn't agree with.  And as pointed out by others, very few reviews bother to even mention the portability as a positive.  And as otjers have also pointed out, plenty of ports have retained their high scores by just paxkaging all DLC together and polishing the visuals.  Thats what MK8D did and then added new content to boot.  Content that the original game lacking was a major complaint.

Now then, what am I dismissing here? Did I ever say the game doesn't deserve this score?

Here is where we are going into the imaginary and exaggerated realm of things.

Zekkyou said:
Nuvendil said:

My point was that *he* brought it up without consideration for other variables as a reason to dismiss the score when numerous other logical explanations can be put forward.  The game includes all DLC plus new content, it won't have been reviewed by the same individuals, etc.  Saying that portability causes a net boost to game scores seems like a very trite and half baked rationale for dismissing a score someone doesn't agree with.  And as pointed out by others, very few reviews bother to even mention the portability as a positive.  And as otjers have also pointed out, plenty of ports have retained their high scores by just paxkaging all DLC together and polishing the visuals.  Thats what MK8D did and then added new content to boot.  Content that the original game lacking was a major complaint.

I fail to see how bringing it up is "dismissing a score". As i noted to someone else, while i think portability is a logical point of discussion (if there was absolutely no net positive to something being portable, then the Switch wouldn't have a reason to exist), it's not a criticism. If it improved the experience for some critics, then it's a valid point of praise. It's just that MK8's score jump is an anomaly compare to the overwhelming majority of other remasters, remakes, and ports. We already know everything that's in the game, and yet even many Nintendo fans are surprised. Discussion is naturally going to turn to how we got here, and portability is one of the obvious places to start.

I suppose my wording was wrong. Downplaying is what it comes off as. Specifically when he implied, perhaps by mistake, that the game itself doesn't warrant the score and the portability lowers the standard (when he referrenced his main example of Persona 4 Golden and how it would not have gotten that score were it not for being on the Vita).  I do not like nor will ever approve of or shy away from criticizing handwaving if I believe it to be going on because I find it very petty. If that wasn't his intention, then I appologize but I think my mistake is understandable.

However worth pointing out, the big examples of this portability grace is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Persona 4 Golden, which are both upgrades in more than just graphics.  If that's the case and the gameplay had not aged (which neither had really), does not the upgrade explain the increased score more so than this grace that's given for portability. 

And while it is anomolous, I think the more obvious reason is that Mario Kart's battle mode has been considered core to the franchise for a very long time and Mario Kart 8's original battle mode was almost universally panned back when it first came out.  So for it to get comletely overhauled to be more in line in terms of quality with what is expected in Mario Kart would be a major improvement.  I mean, there were a lot of reviews if memory serves that said Mario Kart 8 would be the best in the franchise if the Battle Mode wasn't terrible, that should speak to its importance. 

Great score . Nintendomination confirmed.

Around the Network

Oh nice, and it's at 94 now

Definitely higher than I predicted, so that's good

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I am seriously tempted to double-dip.

If the new battle mode is anything like the N64 days.... I see huge amount of fun ahead of me.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Nuvendil said:
Zekkyou said:

I fail to see how bringing it up is "dismissing a score". As i noted to someone else, while i think portability is a logical point of discussion (if there was absolutely no net positive to something being portable, then the Switch wouldn't have a reason to exist), it's not a criticism. If it improved the experience for some critics, then it's a valid point of praise. It's just that MK8's score jump is an anomaly compare to the overwhelming majority of other remasters, remakes, and ports. We already know everything that's in the game, and yet even many Nintendo fans are surprised. Discussion is naturally going to turn to how we got here, and portability is one of the obvious places to start.

I suppose my wording was wrong. Downplaying is what it comes off as. Specifically when he implied, perhaps by mistake, that the game itself doesn't warrant the score and the portability lowers the standard (when he referrenced his main example of Persona 4 Golden and how it would not have gotten that score were it not for being on the Vita).  I do not like nor will ever approve of or shy away from criticizing handwaving if I believe it to be going on because I find it very petty. If that wasn't his intention, then I appologize but I think my mistake is understandable.

However worth pointing out, the big examples of this portability grace is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Persona 4 Golden, which are both upgrades in more than just graphics.  If that's the case and the gameplay had not aged (which neither had really), does not the upgrade explain the increased score more so than this grace that's given for portability. 

And while it is anomolous, I think the more obvious reason is that Mario Kart's battle mode has been considered core to the franchise for a very long time and Mario Kart 8's original battle mode was almost universally panned back when it first came out.  So for it to get comletely overhauled to be more in line in terms of quality with what is expected in Mario Kart would be a major improvement.  I mean, there were a lot of reviews if memory serves that said Mario Kart 8 would be the best in the franchise if the Battle Mode wasn't terrible, that should speak to its importance. 

Given the near total absence of anything comparable on home consoles (despite there being so many remasters this gen, with many of them offering significant visual, performance, gameplay, or content upgrades), i'm hesitant to just default to that. It's certainly possible that's the case, but it seems just as likley that portability is at minimum playing a part. We know for a fact that portability is a benefit many value, it's why handhelds exist at all, so the question is what kind of an effect does it have when you can have portability without the design limitations that usually comes with it? That's where the need for discussion comes in.

If you have a look through my posting history in meta-threads, i'm not aware that I've ever dismissed any score. I rarely even dismiss reviews that fall far outside a game's general score curve (in-fact i provided a degree of defence for both Jim Sterling's 7/10 for BotW, and the WaPo's 4/10 for UC4). I'll express scepticism, but i acknowledge that subjectivity is almost always at minimum a possible explanation. I wouldn't actively express confusion over an overall score unless it was genuinely unusual, and this is. I don't know or care if the score is justified, i'm just an individual so it's not really may place to comment on the validity of an aggregate (at least not without significant data to back me up). All i can do is express scepticism about how we ended up there, and have discussions stemming from that.

Mar1217 said:
HAHAHA !! I think I'm going crazy :) I predicted score bewteen 88-90 at most but never I would have said this game would get a 94 on Metacritic.

Does someone know if it is the most well reviewed Mario Kart ever right now ?

If it can stay at 94 it will be the highest rated MK.