By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - None of the blockbuster 3rd party games coming to switch 2017

Switch lifetime figures?

12-15 million 72 7.05%

15-20 million 58 5.68%

20-25 million 78 7.64%

25-30 million 119 11.66%

Way more than the above 694 67.97%

Total:1,021
Goodnightmoon said:
twintail said:

I dont recall the PS3 or X360 failing because it lacked these IPs.

WiiU on the other hand...

3DS on the other hand...

3ds on the other hand sold worse than ps3 or xbox360 so that's not really a good argument for not having blockbuster 3rd party games. Though I guess your point is that those kind of games wouldn't really affect sales of nintendo platforms, which is something I can agree with.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Breath of The Wild, Splatoon 2, MK Deluxe and Mario Oddissey are not being released on ps4 or XBO

Does this bold well for their futures?

I think that is a moot point, considering EVERY console has first party exclusives.

Wii U had many first party exclusives that Xbox and PS didn't get. How did that work out for Wii U, in the long run?

Wii U's fitst party exclusives were bad/uninteresting games. The only question is if Nintendo get's back to making interesting games again. So far it looks much better with Zelda selling well, Super Mario being 3D again instead of isometric "red" Mario. Mario Kart 8 port seems to be the worst what we know so far.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Meh, not interested in any of those titles.

Hoping Overwatch comes to Switch. Probably won't but if it does, I'll be there.

This news is as old as the Gamecube and to a certain extent N64 when Sony started to attract third party development due to much larger medium memory to work with. Nintendo has said in their many statements about the Switch that their scheduling focus is to have big First and Second party games spaced out evenly for release. This is a strategy that makes for less wait between 'big' games. It is also a strategy to be successful on mostly first party games. If the Switch is successful it will draw some ports over the next few years but it has to be successful basically on its own.

I'll wait until E3.

Around the Network

Right now I'm pegging the swith LTD at 50 million or so.

Right now there are two kinds of PS4/XB1 style games

1.) Games that are basically like PS3/360 games on steroids. Things like sports games, Snake Pass, DQXI, Overwatch, Mortal Kombat, etc.

2.) Games that specifically tap the power of the next-gen with a large budget. Things like Star Wars Battlefront, Red Dead 2, Final Fantasy XV.

Games in category 1 can be ported to Switch, but category 2 likely isn't going to happen. Technically there's only so much a Tegra X1 can do and you're also then getting into the territory of compromising a game so much that is it fair to ask $60 for it next to the other versions. 

BraLoD said:
nuckles87 said:

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.

64, GC and WU would be the reasons, 3 against 1.

Anyway, Nintendo wants to sell it as a console but it's a handheld, and handhelds only need mainline Pokemon and they'll sell.
The problem is Nintendo wanting to sell it as a console, priced as a console, and they have a 25% on success rate on selling consoles lacking major third party support with just one of them being able to, and not because of first party games, but because of a massive "non-hardcore" gamers boost which already moved to smartphones.

Being a handheld is the only non-reason for it to not underperform compared to those consoles, and as far as it'll sell better than those consoles, it won't reach the 3DS which is already a big drop on their handhelds track record (the lowest), because it's sold as a console, but lacks what the other consoles have, so yeah, it'll affect it.

That's a rather simplistic way to look at history.

Both GameCube and Wii U launched with fairly strong third party support and big names backing them. Hell, in terms of multiplatform titles GameCube was basically receiving everything the other consoles were. The problem both of these consoles faced was not third party support, it was poor hardware and software sales. Poor sales led to third parties dropping the consoles, which led to sales getting even worse. 

Third party support is always important for a console. But Wii, DS and 3DS all prove that you don't necessarily need a selection of big multi platform games to be successful, while systems like Xbox One, the original Xbox and GameCube all prove that solid third party support doesn't mean your console will fly off the shelves, or do especially well. A lot of factors go into a console's success or failure.

Switch is doing pretty well at the moment, and is showing no signs of slowing down. Will it slow down? Probably. But I think this is a console that will live or die by its gimmick and first party games, much like Wii and DS did.

naruball said:
nuckles87 said:

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.

Yup. Following the same logic,

if wiifit managed to sell 20m+, no reason why wiifit-S can't.
if SPlatoon managed to sell 4m+, no reason why every new Ninty Ip can't.
if Minecraft managed to sell around 80m copies, no reason why Minecraft 2 or another indie can't.

Yes, all these things are possible, but how likely? 

Far more likely than I think anyone would have predicted a few months ago. Switch ain't a Wii U or GameCube right now. It's doing WELL. I think there is more to this then launch hype, because that didn't help get similar results for Wii U or 3DS.

Soundwave said:

Right now there are two kinds of PS4/XB1 style games

1.) Games that are basically like PS3/360 games on steroids. Things like sports games, Snake Pass, DQXI, Overwatch, Mortal Kombat, etc.

2.) Games that specifically tap the power of the next-gen with a large budget. Things like Star Wars Battlefront, Red Dead 2, Final Fantasy XV.

Games in category 1 can be ported to Switch, but category 2 likely isn't going to happen. Technically there's only so much a Tegra X1 can do and you're also then getting into the territory of compromising a game so much that is it fair to ask $60 for it next to the other versions. 

How is DQXI a 360 or PS3 game. It's not on either of those systems. No main DQ was on either system. It's using UE4. It's as current gen as it gets. DQXI does have a sizable budget. It's one of their flagship series. UE4 is just easy to scale. Also UE4 on PS4 and X1 are comparable. X1 holds up pretty well.