By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Even if Sony "wins", have they really "won"?

In terms of gaming related revenues alone, the Playstation and PS2 were profitable because their massive userbase brought in massive revenues from the licencing fees from the sale of third party software. Now the higher R&D costs, (potentially) higher hardware losses, smaller userbase, and greater competition will hurt Sony's ability to turn as much of a profit as they did in their previous generations ... Hypothetically speaking, Sony could take this as an opportunity to focus on building a much better (or at least better selling) first party software line-up much like Nintendo did with the N64 and Gamecube.

Around the Network

Oh they will always say "so how can we increase profits" But they will not say "wah why didn't we do as good as these guys wahhhh"

Maximizing profits just means cutting labor cost, production costs, and of course increasing sales.

But do you think Dominos and Pizza Hut compare each others profits? (i'll give you a hint they don't)

Every business is going to look for ways they can improve.

So... in your guys' brains Nintendo has no one to compare to because they are on top so they are just sitting on their asses picking their nose rather than "maximizing profits"

Their might still be a possibility that the ps3 sell 100 million since its going 10 year plan

^_^

This thread contains all sorts of good Nintendo bashing. It's pretty interesting. A few key points though:

It's like if the New England Patriots go 13-3 next year and lose in the AFC title game.  They had a winning season most teams would love, but to them, is it good?

As long as they don't win the Super Bowl, it's a good year for everyone else. Good analogy though.

1/ they will finish second, not sure how much behind the Wii, maybe very close, maybe quite far.

2/ Sony will at best, recover ALL the money invested in the PS3 (3 billions$ ?)
but they will not really make money.

3/ they will not win but they will not lose either.

4/ of course, they will lose their supreme domination in the console world.
Ninty is back and MS will still be present.

5/ they will succeedly created and IMPOSED the BR, more cash for them.

I think this is the best answer (so far). I believe that Sony, who believing their game console will sell no matter what, wanted to start pushing other products to make more money. This might have been their intention since the PlayStation days. Use gaming consoles as a way to push other products. They've never been as profitable in their gaming section as they have been in other areas, and Nintendo in the last quarter has made almost more money than Sony has in their gaming section in the last 6 or 7 years, so it seems like a likely scenario. There's a good amount of money in blu-ray royalties, so being able to use their console to push blu-ray adoption (even at the sacrifice of their console), is the most important thing. As long as they break even on the PS3, which I believe they will, that's a huge win.

/yawn /ignore.... /uningnore

I hardly doubt sony is interested in beating user base of each console. A business cares more about making money. They set themselves up for the future to make more money. I think it's a win for them.

/ignore

The only problem is that Sony's gaming section is not making any more... at the moment. Also, like I said above, Nintendo has made more money than Sony (course, Nintendo relies on gaming, whereas Sony does not) over the last 6 or 7 years, when Sony domination was at it's highest. Also, Sony's money making ability comes from selling loads of software to make up for the hardware losses. And since it's believed the PS3 is at roughly $400 bucks, they might still be selling the PS3 for a loss, because I heard the PS3 is actually less than $400 in Japan, and the weak dollar might hurt them as well. So without a rather large userbase, it's hard to push software, and thus, hard to make money. And Sony does care about making money, so they probably do care about beating the user base of at least the top console. 

@FOOD
I dont think M$ will pull out of console making if they finish third, they have a huge grasp on America that itd be ridiculous to just let it go.

Unless they start constantly making money, and making enough to ever have a shot at making up the losses from the Xbox days, the investors will force them out. Though, like Sony in a way, I believe Microsoft is using gaming as a way to push other products, such as the whole "living room media center" thing. Or, if anything, keeping Sony from acquiring that market. Depending on how much money Microsoft thinks is in that market will depend on how much money they are willing to lose for it.

I just hope the Wii's success doesn't screw up the next generation.
Nintendo Wii2
Sony Playstation Wii
Xbox Wii

Wii is ruining gaming? Try Sony and Microsoft are using gaming as a way to reach other, more profitable, markets. They could case less if gaming died, it's just a means to another end. Nintendo is the only one that cares about gaming, since their whole business depends on it. It really shows with their game quality too. Not that Sony and Microsoft and 3rd parties don't have quality (except for EA of course), it's just that Nintendo pushes quality at the expense of releasing a game on time.

You have to consider the ps2 is still selling at 150k+ world wide, sony isnt really loosing market share if we count the ps2.

Why don't we just count every console ever made then? Sony would still come out on top, but at least Atari would have a 5% marketshare still. Should we add Atari and Sega to the front page with about 5-10% marketshare each? Last generation's only effect on this generation is how many people are left over to 'convert' to current gen. 

wii is a different market, PS3 is in the HD market and they are well on thier way to winning it

Whatever makes you sleep at night. Thank you Leo-j for being reasonable, though I think both consoles have advantages besides the price issue. 

Okay firstly saying home and LBP are big software is a bit of a stretch. So far my non gamer friends aren't even aware these exist. Im fairly convinced LBP is going to turn out to be like Locoroco. By the buzz on the net you expect it to be amazing then it turns out really outside the internet no one gives a damn. Home I can see going either way, it could be really big or a huge failure.

It's a strange thing. I can imagine every single sony fanboy making a post of orgasmic glee when the PS3 total sales exceed the 360 sales. And yet if you had said 3 years ago, that the ps3 would be battling with the 360 for second place fanboys would have thrown a hissy fit.

I think really this generation will be considered a pretty hefty 'loss' for Sony. If the PS3 sold 60million and the 360 sold 35million I would consider that a pretty impressive success for MS and a pretty massive failure for Sony. I mean the PS2 had 115million? 120million? and the xbox had 24million. If sony lose 60million console sales, well that's certainly not good.

I mean it would be extremely hard for Sony to maintain a 100million+ userbase but I don't think it was unreasonable for them to get 90million or so. So yea I would call the PS3 a massive mistake. Should have made it cheaper, easier to develop for etc.
I think Sony will end up being second this generation but Nintendo and MS are definetly going to make far more progress.

I do wonder sometimes though if MS had managed to avoid the 3red lights fiasco if they could have really pushed the PS3 into 3rd place. That was definetly a huge screw up by MS.

Oh and I hate people that claim the PS3 is in the HD market so will win it's market and the wii doesn't count. People that buy Wii's are less likely to buy another console. It would be like claiming the N64 won it's generation as it was competing in the cartridge based games market.

This is also a very good answer. I love the last paragraph. 

As for my answer, I'd have to say as long they turn a profit, in Sony's eyes, they'll be happy. With the way the PS3 started, that's all they can really hope for right. Before the generation started, just turning a profit wouldn't be considering a "win" for them, but it's too late to change what's been done. If they would have known they would have struggled this much up to late last year, perhaps they would have rethought their strategy so that they could win in the sense that they would have more consoles sold than everyone else combined. But it's too late for that now. Profit is what they should be aiming for, and if they reach it, then it's a win.

ps3'll get second, wont pass the wii. i dont really see how people will buy the 360 next year, i havent even heard of any b ig games for 2009. ps3 already has ff13 god of war 3 gt5 twisted metal.

Around the Network

Well, do we think we have to wait to see if Blu-Ray ever really takes off before we decide whether this has been a good generation for Sony?

Yes, Blu-Ray won the HD-DVD battle, but will it beat online viewing/distribution via Live Marketplace/Netflix Streaming/YouTube/PSN/cable or satellite OnDemand etc.? Because if you take Blu-Ray out of the equation, then Sony's struggles this time around are magnified.

I really am curious to see what GTAIV does in terms of split of the market and whether increases come in sales numbers in significant form. I'm also curious to see whether MGS4 really moves consoles or whether its all the PS-loving early adopters who are also the MGS fans. I have my doubts there.

Thanks for the good discussion of this topic so far all.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

leo-j completely ignores Wii's success as an act of Sony fanboyism. The Wii's price has a factor, but there are even greater factor's also. But you can't see that can you?

Ot: Sony won't be first. I love my Ps3 almost as much as my Wii, but I have to go Wii on this one because it's obvious!

1. Price is a strong factor.
2. Casual appeal.
3. Good future software lineup coming. (I really wasn't into the Cube as I was into the Ps2, but a lot of you guys said that it's legendary games came out later in its life, which we definitely won't be seeing on Wii. Good games on Wii will come out early in its life just like the Ps3 will have.)
4. Design (this is a small factor, but it matters though. This is probably one of the reasons the Ps3 isn't excelling in Japan imo.)
5. Hype (mega reason Wii and Ps3 will do gr8 in their lifetimes. When the 360 came out, I didn't find out till 2007.)

Sony will do good, even though they may lose. Blu-ray is already making assloads of dough right? Ps3 will expand that money into the gaming market. The Ps3 will also have 360 type software sales in the future too.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

:/

''Hadouken!''

They already "won" in many ways.

PS3 is the single reason Br smashed hddvd, Sony is not just about gaming they are a huge corporation. The Br victory is one of their biggest accomplishments especially with their failure in the previous format war.

PS3 is alot more to them then just a gaming platform, if you cant look as something beyond the games industry you will never understand it.

You need to look at the PS3 as a outlet for much of the Sony corp, not just sce.

dgm6780 said:
wii is a different market, PS3 is in the HD market and they are well on thier way to winning it

You PS3 fanboys are almost as delusional as the Xbots, face it Ninty got it right this time and the PS3 well missed the mark a little.  They are still both in the HOME consolemarket and it is only Sony's fault for not selling as much as Ninty.  Open your eyes fanboy.