By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Discontinues The NES Classic Edition

Why would they continue to sell this when they can nickle and dime their fanbase by reselling all those classic games for the 10th+ time on yet another version of their VC, on the Switch?

Around the Network

i honestly just dont understand nintendo.

They can take them and shove them up their nether region. You want to buy their products...but you just can't. What a clusterfuck.

Hynad said:

Why would they continue to sell this when they can nickle and dime their fanbase by reselling all those classic games for the 10th+ time on yet another version of their VC, on the Switch?

Exactly. People who don't understand this decision must not understand business tactics in general. They may bring it back (pricier obviously) as a Holiday only gift idea sort of thing, though.

They can sell it at 140$ when it probably costs them like 20$ to make.... its like free money.
Why would they stop production of them? is it cutting into sales of the 3DS? or Switch?

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Hynad said:

Exactly. People who don't understand this decision must not understand business tactics in general. They may bring it back (pricier obviously) as a Holiday only gift idea sort of thing, though.

It's actually a bit unprecidented for a very popular product to be discontinued though. I can see why a lot of people are angry. 

Apple doesn't discontinue the iPhone and then bring it back a few months later at a higher price. 

Nintendo know they fucked up.

Cue v2.0 at higher price and internet linked to virtual console.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

VGPolyglot said:
That was huge wasted potential. They lost so many sales by understocking.

if you don't grasp that the NES Classic was A) just to pick up some sales for Nintendo last holidays and B) a marketing tool, then you're out of touch

its quite obvious that Nintendo didn't intend to continue the system that long. For gods sake one of the easiest ways they make money is selling old games on the Virtual Console.

They're most likely not bothering with the classic because, despite likely profits, its not worth to manufacture if they're going to want people buying games on the VC in the future anyway.

sucks for people like me who didn't pick it up yet but anyone claiming its that ridiculous business wise is far overestimating the Classic's effect on Nintendo sales wise. They want to focus on the 3DS / Switch manufacturing, not a whole other random vintage system/toy platform. Not to mention with how people were hacking them there was no way Nintendo was going to want to potentially sell millions of the Classics and mega lose out on Virtual console sales that are digital and dont' require any manufacturing. If the VC comes out after E3 then that will be the obvious reason 

mountaindewslave said:
VGPolyglot said:
That was huge wasted potential. They lost so many sales by understocking.

if you don't grasp that the NES Classic was A) just to pick up some sales for Nintendo last holidays and B) a marketing tool, then you're out of touch

its quite obvious that Nintendo didn't intend to continue the system that long. For gods sake one of the easiest ways they make money is selling old games on the Virtual Console.

They're most likely not bothering with the classic because, despite likely profits, its not worth to manufacture if they're going to want people buying games on the VC in the future anyway.

sucks for people like me who didn't pick it up yet but anyone claiming its that ridiculous business wise is far overestimating the Classic's effect on Nintendo sales wise. They want to focus on the 3DS / Switch manufacturing, not a whole other random vintage system/toy platform. Not to mention with how people were hacking them there was no way Nintendo was going to want to potentially sell millions of the Classics and mega lose out on Virtual console sales that are digital and dont' require any manufacturing. If the VC comes out after E3 then that will be the obvious reason 

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not referring to the current discontinuation, I'm referring to how they handled it during the Winter season.

Hynad said:

this.

the move and play by Nintendo is quite obvious. They want to get people to buy their Virtual Console stuff in the coming months (when the VC releases). its annoying coming from someone who wanted one of these for family but Nintendo's not retarded. They can google or Ebay search for 1 minute just like any of you and realize that there is massive demand and people resell the NES classic for 3x the price online. They're aware.

But they're far more interested in digitally selling you NES games for the 5th time over on a new online platform rather than give you a bargain on a group of them with the difficulty of having to manufacture and distribute it. 

the Classic was a holiday play to bring in revenue. nothing mroe. They'll probably do it again one of the next few holidays