By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Discontinues The NES Classic Edition

Damn... Nintendo hate money

JOSE OTERO: Nintendo will discontinue the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition and the last shipments will go out to retailers throughout this month.

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

Nintendo of America would not confirm whether this announcement meant the discontinuation of the NES Classic/Famicom Mini worldwide. Nintendo said it had nothing to announce at this time regarding the future of the Nintendo Classics brand or the lifetime sales of the short-lived plug and play system.

The NES Classic Edition launched on November 10, 2016 and included 30 retro games from Nintendo's past. It immediately suffered from terrible supply issues at stores and online retailers. At the time, Nintendo said, “There will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year,” and advised customers to check availability at retailers.

In January, Nintendo announced that the NES Classic Edition sold 1.5 million consoles at the company’s 3rd quarter fiscal results meeting.

Source

Me Now...  Nintendo continually makes the most bizarre business decisions.  

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

That was huge wasted potential. They lost so many sales by understocking.

We have greatly paid attention to consumer feedback, and that's why the device is hard as balls to find and we're halting all production of it even if demand hasn't really dissapeared for this kind of hardware.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

They need to make more Switches.

Why? Could it be to ramp up Switch production?

Around the Network

The pirating on the mini nes and lost sales on the VC would be my guess why they're dropping it.

I wanted one just to have but never play. To be honest, I probably have every game they offered on done other platform, anyway. Still, it sucks that I couldn't get my hands on that piece of nostalgia.

KLAMarine said:

have to assume its mainly because it got hacked, and with no online support, Nintendo doesn't have control.  they sell 30 titles, but people are putting every game on there lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9aCrSRzJAc

se7en7thre3 said:
KLAMarine said:

have to assume its mainly because it got hacked, and with no online support, Nintendo doesn't have control.  they sell 30 titles, but people are putting every game on there lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9aCrSRzJAc

That would make sense.

Right after it released I posted somewhere on here that the guys at my local Gamestop said their Nintendo rep told them they were already set to discontinue it. They said it was their stop-gap between then and the Switch. Everyone said the Gamestop guys were dumb and Nintendo would never do that.