By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New Patcher's guess for 2008 :

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/04/04/pachter-163-million-ps3s-and-213-million-360s-in-us-and-europe-by-year-end/

Pachter: 16.3 million PS3s and 21.3 million 360s in US and Europe by year-end

April 4th, 2008 @ 13:37

Speaking to videogaming247, Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter has predicted year-end console sales figures that will serve as a sobering reminder to Microsoft that Xbox 360 sales appear to be slowing.

“We expect Sony to have an installed base of 16.3 million PS3s by year end, and Microsoft to have an installed base of 21.3 million Xbox 360s (both figures are U.S. and Europe only, not counting Japan),” he said.

The news comes following a European price cut for 360 over Easter and what appears to be a now-ended surge for the machine in the UK, matched ably by an uncut PS3.

Analysts have now called for a 360 drop in the US as an effort to hold back PS3’s tide.

Last confirmed global sales figures for Xbox 360 were 17.7 million in January. Sony hasn’t yet released global figures for PS3 sales, but the machine was estimated at 10.5 million globally in February, with the firm aiming for a target of 11 million by the end of March.

==> US + EU only !!!!! this is the important point.

the gap between Xbox360 and PS3 (5M) seems ok to me (Japan is not counted)
but the absolute numbers are a bit low ...

what do you think ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I expect more X360 sales for sure;

PS3 I don't know because it has to sell like 7 million till the end of the year...That is possible but I am not 100% sure;.

More like 20 M for PS3 both Europe and NA

And 23M fot the 360 in both those regions combined.

lol He owned himself. He said the PS3 would only have half the install base of the 360 by 08's end, yet he predicts the PS3 to have 65-75% of the 360's install base.

mM

A tad low for both, remember that the 360's Japan numbers would probably account for less than one million and Pachter seems to do what everyone does with the PS3; assume that it'll sell at Jan/Feb pace throughout the year with no peaks or steady rise.

jan said:

PS3 I don't know because it has to sell like 7 million till the end of the year...That is possible but I am not 100% sure;.

Sellin around 800k monthly, which makes 8 months left, makes it 6.4M add that to current numbers and it would be just shy of 18M, thats just the average, it usually triples in holidays, therefore its certianly more than likely the PS3 will sell more than 7 million consoles the rest of the year.

mM
Around the Network

I disagree with the gap given it would be 3 million or less with Japan included. Other than that, both numbers are a little low overall.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

leo-j said:
jan said:

Sellin around 800k monthly, which makes 8 months left, makes it 6.4M add that to current numbers and it would be just shy of 18M, thats just the average, it usually triples in holidays, therefore its certianly more than likely the PS3 will sell more than 7 million consoles the rest of the year.

I was not including Japan like P. does.

Even without japan the PS3 averages about 700k monthly, like I said that would make it 5.6M, and the holidays usually triple for those regions, so it should easily pass it in NA+ Europe alone.

mM

PS3 is pretty much on par with my prediction, but Xbox 360 should be much higher, at least 23 million IMO.

At the moment the PS3 is sitting at 9.5 Million and the XBox 360 is sitting at 17.5 Million units of hardware sold in North America and Europe. So Far this year they have both sold (roughly) 2 Million pieces of hardware and (when you factor in the holiday boost) they will potentially sell an additional 7 to 9 million pieces of hardware this year; this puts the PS3 at 16.5 to 18.5 Million and the XBox 360 at 23.5 to 25.5 Million pieces of hardware. His numbers are (really) not that unrealistic ...