By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma implies open world Zelda may be standard from now on

These news are...

Excellent 64 50.39%

Amazing as BotW 30 23.62%

Zelda cycle as I miss the old formula 33 25.98%

Total:127

Yes, I'd love more dungeons, or at least areas kind of like Hyrule Castle was.

Maybe some kind of underground labyrinth, with multiple paths in it, full of enemies and treasure, and making it where you can't just teleport out, to make it more risk/reward, since you only keep the gear/items you can manage to get out alive with.

It can be an optional area, whatever, but I'd really love some places like that.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm conflicted. On one hand, Zelda is my favorite series because the formula is so perfect. On the other hand, Aonuma made arguably the best Zelda game yet by straying from that formula.

Is that perception really the truth though? Isn't it more likely that you condoned flaws of the formula because there were so many Zelda nods present that the legacy made the formulaic games better than they really were?

No, I don't think so. I truly love the formula, or at least the formula codified in A Link to the Past. I appreciate Zelda because of its action-adventure gameplay, not the other way around.

Sounds good, but hopefully development time won't be as long as BotW so I'm still a bit on the fence with this :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Aonuma implies Eiji may be his name from now on.

Anyway, that much was obvious. And good for him. BotW was a phenomenal foundation.

RolStoppable said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

No, I don't think so. I truly love the formula, or at least the formula codified in A Link to the Past. I appreciate Zelda because of its action-adventure gameplay, not the other way around.

Well, this should be further examined. A Link to the Past doesn't follow a formula of "find item in dungeon, use item to solve puzzles in dungeon and to defeat the boss." It can be somewhat like that at times, but it's nowhere near consistent enough to qualify as a formula.

The aforementioned formula first appeared in Link's Awakening which I think of as a method to make a more linear game more interesting and because the enemy count had to be reduced due to Game Boy hardware (processing power and screen size/resolution). Similarly, this formula was used again in Ocarina of Time, only with more puzzles to accomodate for the difficulties in creating 3D games. Combat wasn't going to feel as good as in 2D, but puzzles weren't as hard to implement in 3D. The early limitations of 3D either vanished or were eventually solved, but Zelda continued the formula regardless.

My point is that this formula is and never was an essential part of Zelda. It was a solution to actual problems that existed at some point in time, but it took a life on its own when it wasn't needed anymore. You could say that Zelda was handcuffed for a long time and then Breath of the Wild got rid of the shackles.

That's a fair and valid point. I'd still argue A Link to the Past was the progenitor of the formula, but I agree that later installments were more inflexible, or handcuffed as you say.

I just want to make it clear that I would never gloss over gameplay flaws just because a game bore the Zelda name. I don't think my love for A Link to the Past allowed me to celebrate Skyward Sword, for example. I sincerely enjoy the latter game, because I like action-adventure gameplay. I like exploration, item-based puzzles, and real-time combat. Obviously some games perform better than others in those categories, but I think the Zelda formula -- or, more accurately, the Zelda formulae -- provide a strong foundation for success. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Would be even better if he announced his retirement as boss of Zelda.

There was a time I would have agreed.   But he just made my favorite game I've ever played.  So continue Aonume, please continue.

I'm good with that.

While I love the game as-is, I could see some return of older formulas with deeper / more complex dungeons that do include specialized items.

I really hope we will get both traditional and open-world Zeldas in the future.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Pavolink said:
Question. For those asking for more dungeons (I want too), what kind of dungeons do you want?

I think in order to retain the open world freedom and non-linearity of BotW, dungeons would have to be closer in style to Hyrule Castle than Vah Naboris, for example. I think themed dungeons and dungeons that grant powerful, potentially game-breaking items are out. Instead they'd have to be ruins or castles or catacombs with tough enemies and lots of treasure and maybe weapons/shields/bows to collect. 

In short, you wouldn't have [insert themed temple] where Link gets [insert artifact that beats dungeon boss]. You'd have a lot of optional monster-infested dungeons with rewards in the form of rare weaponry and valuables.

My man. Basically Zelda I and II dungeons.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RolStoppable said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

There was a time I would have agreed.   But he just made my favorite game I've ever played.  So continue Aonume, please continue.

I don't think Aonuma had much say in this. Breath of the Wild is similar to Twilight Princess in that Zelda was adjusted to the market's wishes instead of Aonuma's (who would have continued with the art style of The Wind Waker). When Nintendo's financials are below an acceptable level, the business suits call the shots instead of giving the developers freedom. Shigeru Miyamoto didn't get removed from the hardware design by accident either.

He's the sole producer of the game so I very much doubt that, BOTW had a trio of directors headed by SS' director due to it's size. Aonuma's initial vision of the game doesn't seem to have changed at all in the final game so I doubt he was undermined in anyway, only coorporate decision was porting it to the Switch in April last year.