Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch #Bendgate!! Yup!

Rigth now the sony bots are working on an agressive campaign to slow down the NS, all this false rumours, and bad news are attemps to slow down the momentum the NS has gain, i have two NS, one on my house and one on my job, both of them are perfect, you never feel them hot. this is bullshit like the "blue screen" or the scratchs on the screen with the dock...

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
Teriol said:
Rigth now the sony bots are working on an agressive campaign to slow down the NS, all this false rumours, and bad news are attemps to slow down the momentum the NS has gain, i have two NS, one on my house and one on my job, both of them are perfect, you never feel them hot. this is bullshit like the "blue screen" or the scratchs on the screen with the dock...

You may wanna consider changing "bots" for "side" or "camp". I liked this comment and want to keep it valid.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I don't know about the overheating and bending but right now with my one if you hold just one joycon while in handheld mode it starts to bend and feels like in time my joycon will snap off. I know just hold both but sucks when you wanna grab something or scratch ya nose.

Nuvendil said:

The Tegra X1 has multiple heat sensors built in to the SoC to ensure that it throttles at 75 C.  It is a feature of the SoC to prevent overheat-related failure.  Do your research.

Uh. No. Perhaps you should learn to read? I never said that it *didn't*.

Nuvendil said:

Also, people are claiming this warp happened even with mostly handheld use.  Also, thermal benchmarks have shown 4 to 5 degree differences between handheld and dock. 
So if in dock it was running your proposed (and ridiculous) 70 to 73 C ( which would be well above ambient unless some fool is playing their system in a house that is preposterously hot), the handheld mode would be in the mid to high 60s.  And with the Switch surface temperatures being, again, 10 to 13 degrees lower (this is verified fact) around the chip, it would still be physically painful to hold while playing, say, FAST RMX in handheld and would cause *second degree burns* if you touched the screen over the chip.  These temperatures would have been noticed pre-embargo.

Great. I am not actually arguing against that.

Nuvendil said:

Lastly, the Switch has a metal frame, it is not all plastic, it has been torn down multiple times.  It is reinforced with metal.  And it's been a gosh darn month so the "over time" argument is just silly. 

I have seen the tear down.

And a month is enough time for plastic to warp. Remember. Not all plastics are created equal.

But do you understand what happens to some materials when they are transferred from cooler environments to warmer environments, especially Metal? They expand.

PCB for example, which is what the entire consoles processing and memory elements are connected to is prone to warping, it's a common issue with GPU's due to the added weight, GPU's with metal backplates can mitigate the problem though.

Nuvendil said:

In short, looking at the reported and confirmed real-world temperatures the Switch runs at and the temperatures the surface (that is, the plastic) can reach, this kind of warping is 99.9% certainly NOT due to overheating.  Especially when you consider it's been out for only a month, so there's been little time in all reality for the heat to cause this.

And I am not disputing any of the reportings?

Nuvendil said:

would be impossible to hit for the long periods of time needed to cause the issue and would be impossible to manifest to the degree needed without causing numerous pronounced serious issues that you would notice.

Bullshit it's not. You cannot have sustained temperatures lower than ambient. You would be surprised how quickly a systems cooling system (which moves ambient air around, that is also being heated by the SoC) will quickly exceed the new ambient temperatures.

Any PC enthusiast can tell you that, especially if you have ever bothered with water loops, radiators etc'.

Nuvendil said:

And remember, this is an issue people didn't notice to such an extent that until they started holding their switch against straight edges they didn't even think to wonder to check.

I agree.

Nuvendil said:

And finally, your assertion that the Switch if you take it outside will run exponentially higher...I mean for goodness sake man, heat doesn't transfer instantaneously.

That isn't my assertion at all.

Nuvendil said:

Obviously the Switch shell has been designed to prvent thransfer of heat (hence why at the hottest the system's surface is still 10 to 15 degrees cooler and that's a 2 square inch patch of the screen) and that would work both ways. 

That is usually a design goal for any platform.

Nuvendil said:

Second of all, the heat would take time to transfer from outside to inside the system, you don't step out into a hot day and the Switch immediately jumps to that temperature.

You are correct that if you move from a cooler space to a warmer space it does take time for the system to increase it's temperature.

But just remember, if you are playing the device in a fixed space and you have ambients of 50'C. The console will not be under 50'C. That's a fact. You can't even argue against that point.
Otherwise what you are suggesting is that the laws of Physics is incorrect.

Nuvendil said:

Now yes, if you set your Switch out in the sun for an hour or left it under the windshield of a hot car and then immediately grabbed it and turned on FAST RMX and played it for an hour, yeah you could cause an issue.  But that's you being a dumbass not the system suffering a major failure.

Which was my point from the very beginning. Ambient temperatures.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Update 2

Ok so after a few more tests, I have come to a conclusion.

I lined up the top and the bottom of the Switch with a straight edge and there is no signs of bending or warping of the console itself. However, why does it appear to be raised about a millimeter when laid flat on its back? (the screen side does not apply, as it checked out perfect).

Overtime plastic can warp when exposed to heat overtime, and it does not have to be super hot to do so. I believe that the plastic casing of the Switch might be a cheaper material and it appears to be bowing out in the back. As I said, it is only a millimeter and can not notice it without actually making myself see it.

With that in mind, under that plastic cover is a metal frame for the console itself, so other than that back piece, no real warping can take place outside of cosmetics.

I ran it for over an hour in docked mode this morning and when I was finished, I immediately took it out and felt the back. It was warm to the touch (as expected), but not hot. In fact it is not as warm as if you were to put your hand on your PS4 when it is running a game. This indicates to me that the Switch does not have an overheating problem at all.

So my conclusion is that any "warping" you see is a minor cosmetic affect due to cheap plastic used for the shell of the Switch and nothing more. In most cases it will be so minor that most people will not even notice without looking, like my case. If there is an actual "bend" in the console, I believe it is a factory defect that the user did not see until now or it was mishandled. I can say with confidence however that there is no cooling issue with the Switch and unless you end up with a huge bubble (it should only bow so far under normal conditions), it is so negligible that you should not be worried and just enjoy your Switch...as of now anyway. I will continue to check every month and keep you guys posted if anything changes.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
When Sony does it, it's fine.

My copy of Crash Bandicoot 3 was Warped. Nobody made a big deal.

My copy of Syphon Filter was also a victim of the "Sony Bend". Again, nobody cared.

Lets not forget all the twisted metal consoles that were released too.... and no one said anything.

FunFan said:
d21lewis said:

My copy of Syphon Filter was also a victim of the "Sony Bend". Again, nobody cared.

Better companies are held to higher standars. Just how the world works.

I think you are right and onto something here.

Intrinsic said:
d21lewis said:

Lets not forget all the twisted metal consoles that were released too.... and no one said anything.

I like you so much right now.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

someone in this forums has pictures of some of these issues..i wish they would post them here.

No sign of it on mine.

This seems like rather a rarity... given that after it was pointed out a couple examples appeared and have since stopped appearing.

I do wonder why this would happen, though, especially as the journalist who saw this happen to his says it was almost always docked. In the past bending of this sort is usually due to the natural curvature of, say, the butt or the leg gradually molding it just a tad when it's too hot overtime, or often via the pressure of the hands while playing it in portable mode. It would be rather weird for it to bend in the ways we see here while docked, as what exactly would be causing it to pivot at those points while upright?

I definitely hope this is just some strange rarity, of course. It wouldn't be the first time some tablet-esque advice was reported to be bending when it was happening to almost no one; that all digital foundry tests and such have shown it's quite competent at heat distribution and approaches no where close to dangerous levels of heat docked or undocked makes me think these were exceptions as opposed to trends.

Internal circuit boards can withstand extremely high temperatures, which complete kills the theory of heat bending.
Also, the CPU would turn off at 85 or 90ºC so again, this kills the theory.
Also, the console has a metal plate that covers the entire back, and metal does not bend at 90 or even 150ºC, which kills the theory.

The only think real in this, is how dumb can someone be to think this is true... people nowadays seem to be braindead. I blame the education.

One must lack the simplest notions of science to even comtemplate this as a real issue.

I urge all those who actually believe this to  be true to play less, and study more. Please, for the sake of humanity!

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3