By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony ever try another mid-cycle console upgrade?

Will Sony try something like this again?

Yes 77 59.69%

No 52 40.31%

Total:129

It hasn't flopped.

It was never supposed to sell at rates resembling a new console launch. It's just a gradual replacement in terms of availability.

Around the Network

"It's no secret that the PS4 Pro has flopped."

Their selling them faster than they can make them currently right? its constantly sold out.
And their makeing a Slimmer cheaper PS4pro soon (rumored).
Sales cant be that bad.

zorg1000 said:

PS4 is tracking far behind PS2 & Wii at this point in its life

Errr.... no.

after three yeras of being on the market, and i mean exactly 3 years from march 2000 to march 31st 2003 the PS2 had shipped (not sold) 51.2M consoles.

In the same time the PS4 has sold (not shipped) more than 53M consoles.

I don't know wbaou the wii, but I am not een talking about that cause its not the best selling console of all time. 

Either way, I can't fathom why anyone would say the game market is healthy... being that its the healthiest its ever been.

Yeah, I think it's time for them to stop trying to compete with the Switch

The ps4 flopped big time and obviously the ps4 is gonna be destroyed in sales by the switch

Moderated - Miguel

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Errr.... no.

after three yeras of being on the market, and i mean exactly 3 years from march 2000 to march 31st 2003 the PS2 had shipped (not sold) 51.2M consoles.

In the same time the PS4 has sold (not shipped) more than 53M consoles.

I don't know wbaou the wii, but I am not een talking about that cause its not the best selling console of all time. 

Either way, I can't fathom why anyone would say the game market is healthy... being that its the healthiest its ever been.

its only ahead of PS2 if you ignore the fact the it was only available in Japan in its first 3 quarters which is a terribly biased way of comparing them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

errrr........ ok.

The PS4 is still tracking better than the best selling console of all time. The XB1 is doing fine and nntendo seems to have right their ship with the switch and yet the console market isn't healthy? 

And the PS4pro is just meh? what wre you expecting it to be or do?

I'm just gonna write all this craziness off as april fools syndrome.

Source? Looked quite different the last time I saw a comparison chart.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Your comparison does not account for staggered launches which obviously puts the PS4 at an advantage. Aligning the launches by region puts the PS2 ahead of the PS4 by about 10m and that margin is only going to grow in the PS2's favor because it had higher peak years than the PS4 is going to have.

Xbox One is not doing fine. If it was, then Microsoft would have not decided to hide its numbers.

No idea how you've come to the conclusion that the console market is the healthiest it's ever been when four of the five eighth generation systems have seen significant declines over their respective predecessors while the one system that is going to beat its predecessor will only do so by a rather small margin. The state of the eighth generation is lackluster which is why all console manufacturers have opted to come up with ways to increase revenue per customer. One of these methods is to put out more hardware revisions to make people double-dip on hardware and make the hardware numbers look better than they really are.

The PS4 has already one model more than the PS2 had, but it's not going to stop there. Sony will put out at least one more revision because they don't have a choice in light of the sales they are getting. And mind you, the PS4 is the most successful system out of the sad bunch in the eighth generation. It's going to need more than the three models it has had so far in order to cross the 100m mark, and Sony will release at least one more revision.

ok, answe this simple question..... why did they have staggered launches back in the day? 

If you truly understand why, then you would know why its not an unfair way to make a comparison.

vivster said:
zorg1000 said:

Source? Looked quite different the last time I saw a comparison chart.

Official shipment data.

like i said to intrinsic, its only ahead of PS2 if you ignore that PS2 was only available in Japan in its first 3 quarters.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PS4 had a perfect take off and has had nothing but clear skies the entire way. They have been making such good time they actually decided to stop at the 8 hour mark for a break, but also to allow passengers the option to transfer to a newer/faster plane that will get them to their destination even sooner, for an extra price. Both planes have taken off again and are at about the 10 hour mark now.

XB1 had some problems on take off due to being overweight, so they had to land again and remove some hardware/refuel before they could get back in the air. Due to this, they have been caught in some turbulence almost non stop along the way, but also will be making a stop around the 10 hour mark for a break and to offer a faster trip on a new concorde due to the delay, for an extra price.

Switch had a later departure, has taken off smooth, and the weather is clear as far as the pilots can see, but the radar shows potential turbulence in the distance, and this is a smaller plane on the same 16 hour flight. Luckily the pilots are veterans, and the plane can dive and transform into a boat to avoid the darkened skies, as well as offer a different type of travel if the passengers so choose, so the crew has good odds of avoiding too much trouble, but what kind of shape the passengers will be in at that time is questionable. Will they decide to stop and offer a faster plane as well, or maybe a speedboat perhaps?

I don't see the new model changing much. Upgrades are becoming the norm everywhere, and have been the norm in some sectors for quite some time. Unless another proven successful format arises, upgrades will remain for a few gens anyway.

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

Your comparison does not account for staggered launches which obviously puts the PS4 at an advantage. Aligning the launches by region puts the PS2 ahead of the PS4 by about 10m and that margin is only going to grow in the PS2's favor because it had higher peak years than the PS4 is going to have.

Xbox One is not doing fine. If it was, then Microsoft would have not decided to hide its numbers.

No idea how you've come to the conclusion that the console market is the healthiest it's ever been when four of the five eighth generation systems have seen significant declines over their respective predecessors while the one system that is going to beat its predecessor will only do so by a rather small margin. The state of the eighth generation is lackluster which is why all console manufacturers have opted to come up with ways to increase revenue per customer. One of these methods is to put out more hardware revisions to make people double-dip on hardware and make the hardware numbers look better than they really are.

The PS4 has already one model more than the PS2 had, but it's not going to stop there. Sony will put out at least one more revision because they don't have a choice in light of the sales they are getting. And mind you, the PS4 is the most successful system out of the sad bunch in the eighth generation. It's going to need more than the three models it has had so far in order to cross the 100m mark, and Sony will release at least one more revision.

ok, answe this simple question..... why did they have staggered launches back in the day? 

If you truly understand why, then you would know why its not an unfair way to make a comparison.

lack of western focused games

Japanese launch: March 4, 2000

A-Train 6

Drum Mania

Eternal Ring

Kakinoki Shogi IV

Kessen

Mahjong Taikai III

Morita Shogi

Ridge Racer V

Stepping Selection

Street Fighter EX3

U.S. launch: October 26, 2000

Armored Core 2

DOA2: Hardcore

Dynasty Warriors 2

ESPN International Track & Field

ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding

Eternal Ring

Evergrace

FantaVision

Gungriffon Blaze

Madden NFL 2001

Midnight Club: Street Racing

NHL 2001

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery

Q-Ball: Billiards Master

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2

Ridge Racer V

Silent Scope

Smuggler's Run

SSX

Street Fighter EX3

Summoner

Swing Away Golf

Tekken Tag Tournament

TimeSplitters

Unreal Tournament

Wild Wild Racing

X-Squad