By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Destiny's online servers will be shut down during Destiny 2's release" says Destiny's director James McQuillan.

"Destiny's online servers will be shut down on Destiny 2's release" says Destiny's director James McQuillan

April 1 2017 by Marshall Deupree

Destiny 2 was announced on March 27th by Bungie. Following the successful first installment, Destiny 2 is already starting to gain attention in the eyes of the public. However, there seems to be bad news over the horizon for the future of the franchise. Destiny's creative director James McQuillan has talked about the worrying possibility that most servers of the original Destiny might be shut down.

"During the launch of the first Destiny three years ago -says McQuillan- the massive amont of support surpassed all our expectations. With the massive influx of players during the first months, there were some problems for some of our customers to play and have access to all of our content. To avoid this happening again, the team behind Destiny 2 is planning to take the majority of the original Destiny's online servers to help reinforce the online services during the first year."

McQuillan justifies this by claiming most Destiny fans will jump to the newest installment right away, so there won't be any problem with those still playing the original. "We're creating something really special with Destiny 2, and we're confident that our customers will be satisfied with how we're improving the formula while keeping it familiar and accessible to newcomers. Old players will be able to move right away to the new game, without any fear of online problems keeping them away from their experience. Those who want to wait won't experience any inconvenience with the older game."

Destiny was released on September 9th 2014 for the PS3, XBox 360, PS4 and XBox One.  Destiny 2 is aimed to release september 8th of this year.

Source: Gamnesia

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

When you play online only games, they are finite and at the mercy of the people hosting them. Meanwhile, my NES Matroid cart still works, 30 years later.

I can't believe anything I read today. Sorry.

d21lewis said:
I can't believe anything I read today. Sorry.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Hopefully this is an April joke, otherwise this would be completely bullsh*t. lol

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Dr.Vita said:

Hopefully this is an April joke, otherwise this would be completely bullsh*t. lol

Gonna assume you just fell for the clickbait title.

This will happen, however the article itself (unlike the title) clarifies that it isn't all Destiny servers, just most of them. Which makes sense since less people should be playing Destiny 1 once #2 releases so not as many will be needed. There will still be some Destiny 1 servers however, and the game will still be playable.

Click on the source, it takes you to an April Fools page. It's a joke.

Who would even care? It's not like anyone is playing the game.

:O) 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Pretty well done

6.5/10

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]