By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Republicans Vote To Allow Internet Providers to Sell Your Browsing History

Soundwave said:

They want to kill cheap internet access and allow ISPs to more freely impose data caps.

The only way cable can prevent streaming from overtaking them.

Around the Network

So what if you use ad block? I know ad block has started letting some non intrusive ads through for some websites but I hardly see any at all if ever. Seems pointless to know someones browsing history but still not be able to advertise to them unless you blackmail or ransom someone with it.

Ka-pi96 said:

Ok, so how come you consider mail carriers opening physical mail being a federal offence perfectly fine, but if the same law were to be introduced in regards to digital mail you'd consider that "authoritarian" and "dictatorial"?

I never said I was perfectly fine with physical mail to be opened by mail carriers to be a federal offense ...  

I consider any sort of rule to be the root of all authoritarian and dictorial order but it seems almost anyone is fine these days with with installing more rule so long as it suits their ideology so liberal democrats these days should stop pretending to be the libertarians, classical liberals, or the freedom fighters when it's convenient for them.

fatslob-:O said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Ok, so how come you consider mail carriers opening physical mail being a federal offence perfectly fine, but if the same law were to be introduced in regards to digital mail you'd consider that "authoritarian" and "dictatorial"?

I never said I was perfectly fine with physical mail to be opened by mail carriers to be a federal offense ...  

I consider any sort of rule to be the root of all authoritarian and dictorial order but it seems almost anyone is fine these days with with installing more rule so long as it suits their ideology so liberal democrats these days should stop pretending to be the libertarians, classical liberals, or the freedom fighters when it's convenient for them ... 

So, you support social Darwinism then?

VGPolyglot said:

That's very off-topic but if you want you can check my response in your messages.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

That's very off-topic but if you want you can check my response in your messages ... 

It's not really off-topic, because your replies seem to indicate that you believe that since they have the power to do it, it is in their right to do it. So, ISPs have an advantage by having infrastructure that most people cannot create on their own, and by your logic they should be able to do whatever they want because they hold the keys.

VGPolyglot said:

It's not really off-topic, because your replies seem to indicate that you believe that since they have the power to do it, it is in their right to do it. So, ISPs have an advantage by having infrastructure that most people cannot create on their own, and by your logic they should be able to do whatever they want because they hold the keys.

Their pretty different things if you ask me.

Comparing property rights to a potential study of genetics.

The former is most likely created whereas you're born with the latter.

VGPolyglot said:

Their pretty different things if you ask me ... 

Comparing property rights to a potential study of genetics ... 

The former is most likely created whereas you're born with the latter ... 

I'm pretty sure that rank in the social ladder is much more determined by the money you're born to than genetics.

VGPolyglot said:

I'm pretty sure that rank in the social ladder is much more determined by the money you're born to than genetics.

I don't know the contribution of each but I'm pretty sure you can't rule out genetics as a significant contribution to the social ladder.

It's only a natural extension of companies like Google, Apple, Facebook and Microsoft already selling every scrap of info you share or look for, which we're accepting every day.
It's terrible news for sure, but it's already happening on a slightly smaller scale and with different companies.