By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Boss Battles with Completely Different Gameplay.

Tagged games:

MGS4: You go from stealth to a slow paced boxing match
Evil Within: From a scary corridor game to an open sunny location where it is basically a shooter
San Andreas: From a driving shooter people and having them die like normal, you fight a guy that bullet sponges everything in a small room... Then you jump from trains.
Conker's Bad Fur Day: You are a cute squirrel fighting bosses with context sensitive moments, then you get a mech suit for the final battle to kill an alien. To be fair the whole game switched constantly from a Platformer to a shooter..
Super Smash Bros: Fighting normal opponents that are affected by every hit, then some enemy that repeats his moves and has a health bar.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
SvennoJ said:

There are better ways to handle being lost like taking the radar away as in the sandstorm, or reduce your visibility as in the ruins near the lost woods. Taking your ability to explore away by introducing invisible walls that reset your position is a drastic change from the rest of the game. The game doesn't let you learn how to safely traverse the woods, it simply turns it into trial and error gameplay.

No dude the Lost Woods if anything is perfectly executed in BOTW, that area in previous games was always about navigating the correct path otherwise you get returned to the beginning that's how that area is supposed to be but was always relegated to corridor like sections, BOTW is by far the perfect incarnation of what the area was envisioned as and it has a simple solution to navigate through it that's not hard to figure out because the's a flat out clue given to you when you first try to navigate the area.

In that case it doesn't fit in Breath of the wild. Resetting is a bad cop out to restrict freedom of exploration.
Btw what is the simple solution to get to there from the start? First you need to circle around to find the approved entrance (playing without the map sucked in this case) You follow the torches until you get to 2 torches with a chest, and then what? I didn't see any clue, it was trial and error forging a path while putting markers down on the map. Sure when you get in there you get a clue to sniff out trees in one path, another is a simple corridor, the third one an AC style follow quest that didn't trigger right for me.

The rest of the games has much better solutions to up the difficulty of navigation and ways to make you feel lost. Lost woods stands out like a sore thumb like the Ciri corridor sections in TW3. Together with the Yiga clan hideout it's not fitting in with the rest of the game. It looks nice though, just let me actually get lost.

Eagle367 said:

I'm sorry man but that was cheesy and cringe worthy

... yeah, that's the joke.  Blood Dragon's story is a spoof of the 1980s.

SvennoJ said:

In Breath of the Wild it's not only the boss battles that suddenly restrict your gameplay, the whole lost woods area goes completely against the freedom of exploration and experimentation that the game is based on. Suddenly there are invisible walls everywhere that reset you back to the start when you cross them.
Plus one place I had already found, but it didn't activate until failing first so the quest becomes available. The game just let me run around in circles at the target area until I gave up and walked into the mist. Then the quest wouldn't complete as I ran back to where it was instead of doing the most annoying type of quest that exists. After Ganon is defeated the rest of Link's life will be dedicated to burning that forest down.

Dude, don't even.  Apologize!  Apologize before it's ...

Ah, hell.  Game over, man.

Uncharted 4

It's good for making the battles more memorable, but otherwise, it's often quite annoying. Often, it feels like playing a different game. It can be good for a game but usually it's not.

Around the Network
Sagemode87 said:
Uncharted 4

I hated that battle. It took me a good number of tries just to understand what exactly I should look out for, and it was ridiculously difficult (compared to the rest of the game) even after that.

Hiku said:
The only one that comes to mind right now is Devil May Cry.
https://youtu.be/0jvwzkwmFn0?t=242

And I remember loving that it used a different game engine for the final boss fight. Along with the hype music, it made it all that much more memorable, I think.

Wow drastically different.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Sagemode87 said:
Uncharted 4

Oh yeah. That sword fight. Looked great but I was like "WTF?" I wasn't trained for this.

Drakengard

As frustrating of a switch in gameplay it is, I can't deny that the scene sends chills down my spine and is quite memorable.

Alex Kidd on SEGA Master System.

Every boss fight is decided by Rock Paper Scissors...except the final fight. You um..actually beat him like a regular game boss.