By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop stock plummets

monocle_layton said:
Intrinsic said:

Not really when you consider the size of a best buy compared to the typical gamestop.

At the same time, do they really need 7x more?

If Best Buy had, say, 5000 stores, that means gamestop has 35,000. I am pretty sure you do not need 35k Gamestops in the US. 

It becomes unnecessary and a headache. Get rid of stores with smaller profits and focus on doing well with every store. 

Given the very low population density in the US (Belgium has 10 times more people per km² and we are not even full), it requires a lot of stores to cover the less urbanized area, which are still really important for the franchise's image.

Around the Network

No wonder, they have a business policy that is offensive to developers and consumers alike. A company like Gamestop doesn't have the right to stay afloat in the modern market, let's just hope their employees get new jobs from companies with an ounce of foresight and decency.

My main concern is for physical media, but also the Gamestop locations themselves. Obviously there's been business practices that are easy to be pissed off about and so hostility towards the corporate entity is understandable, but the funny thing is most people I talk to (and this is true for me as well) really like the people who work at their local gamestop.

Often, it's genuinely nice people who are interested in games and so "Gamestop" came to mind when they began their job search. It's rather sad for them, especially some who I personally know have been working there for years. Thankfully the ones near me don't appear to be closing yet.

No wonder pc-s not even sold anymore with dvd drivers, everything digital there.
The only ancient dinosaur thingys that using it are consoles. But even those have more and more digital stuff too.

Around the Network

I also wanted Gamestop still to exist, and I hope Switch and the gaming consoles would help it. I know the crazy bundles wouldn't help. But that last $450 bundle is also sold out.

Clearance sale on the Gamestop location near my area. Will check it out sometime but really didn't have anything to buy except for a Switch. :)

I still prefer physical format, if available and DRM-free or with a not obnoxious DRM, but while I prefer GameStop to keep on existing, to have more competition, I'd like to see it shrink and other stores grow, I haven't ended up buying anything from them for ages, and last time I did it wasn't SW.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I buy from gamestop a couple of times per year. One of those times is generally when they have a buy 2 get 1 free sale on used games in December. Other than that, its usually just some old game that I pickup to fill time between new releases. That happens maybe once or twice per year.

With that said, I do pay my Pro Rewards membership every year, for the Game Informer subscription.

mountaindewslave said:

The issue is when Gamestop and the like have MULTIPLE stores in ONE mall, or like 3 stores in a tiny town. There just are too many Gamestops. Where I'm from there are literally like 5 Gamestop in a few square miles in the biggest shopping area. Its insane.

This is so true. There are about 10 gamestops within 5 miles of me

My games have came from Amazon for the past couple of years.