By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

well back on carts they made the games stupidly hard because they were very short so they needed more life.  I like difficulty with checkpoints so I don't have to replay the same easy sections to get to the hard ones over and over.  Horizon may not be challenging but there's certainly very difficult games out there especially on the indie scene.  Some games get hyped up for difficulty and then they just don't have checkpoints but most enemies are fairly easy so I dunno different people find different things difficult.

Yeah, that's true. I'm not a fan of cheap tricks like the scripted nonsense in F.E.A.R or giving the opposition an edge or giving you a handicap out of nowhere (FIFA does this a lot on higher difficulties). The main problem with difficulty settings is that pretty much the only changes from Easy to Very Hard in most games is simply how much damage you can take and deal, the dynamic and mechanics remain the same and the AI is usually still piss poor (this is what makes Very Hard on Horizon too easy, along with a completely overpowered stealth mechanic).

It's hard, ironically, to make games hard. In a proper way, anyway.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
onionberry said:
seems like some people don't understand what I'm trying to say,guys it's not about the hud! it's about the replacement of the hud with visual hints and the world connected to side missions! that way you don't need a compass or marker cause the map have the name of the places and all you need to do is go to those places and explore the visual landmarks! there are no visual landmarks on the witcher so without the witcher senses or marker on the map you're going to get lost!

haha maybe you would, besides getting lost is part of exploring right?

yeah but not in that way lol I wanna know what I need to solve.

Open worlds should also be a lot more flexible in how to tackle quests. Breath of the wild has a lot of freedom yet some quests are still very fixated on the A->B->C->D structure. For example as soon as I got the Sheika slate upgraded in Hateno I went visiting some of the pictured locations I recognized for the memories. Doesn't work, Impa has to tell you first to go do that before anything happens. Same with quests that require the camera. The npcs simply ignore you until you first unlock it, then they somehow sense you have it and the exclamation mark appears. I wonder what I have missed while exploring for 80 hours without doing the start quests first.

Ka-pi96 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Clearly not everybody is able to appreciate good game design on open world games, some prefer going from A to B all the time and that's it, thankfully the market is flooded with games like this so they are not gonna get hungry, meanwhile I rather discover things on my own by looking the hints on the envoronment and talking with characters.

No, they just have different opinions about what good game design is...

Reading a map is not as exciting as reading visual landmarks on the overworld, or exploring places that you hear in conversations, it is simply way more inmersive this way.

There are some sidequest in BOTW that give you an aproximate spot on the map, but you still need to wander around a bit. The sidequests in BOTW are great and it would be fun to watch it in other games.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Reading a map is not as exciting as reading visual landmarks on the overworld, or exploring places that you hear in conversations, it is simply way more inmersive this way.

Not to me. When I want to go somewhere in real life I look at a map of how to get there. Why would I do anything different in a game? And if I can't find my way where I need to go by following a map then I'd consider that a missing feature (ie. poor game design), and I ain't wrong for thinking that. People like doing things different ways and it's not because they can't "appreciate good game design" it's because they just like different things...

I real life, I don't go hunting Trolls, Lynels, Demons and Goblins.  Why would I do different in a game?

Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

I my life, I don't go hunting trolls, Lynels, goblins... Why would I do different in a game?

If they actually existed in real life you might though

You can find your way just fine in BOTW without the game holding your hand as if you were a little baby. You just need to ask around for information, or pay attention to what the person giving you a task will tell you.  

Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

You can find your way just fine in BOTW without the game holding your hand as if you were a little baby. You just need to ask around for information, or pay attention to what the person giving you a task will tell you.  

Why can't people just accept that other people like doing things in different ways rather than having to put them down all the time by implying they are a "little baby" or "can't appreciate good game design". Is it really that difficult to accept that others may just like different things?

How do you describe it when a game holds your hand the whole way?

And you can appreciate or not whatever you want. I simply think you're making a big deal out of nothing, considering that BOTW does give you enough information to find your way if you take the time to ask or look around.

You also said that no map marker = poor game design. You don't say that it is a "different thing" that isn't for you, you say it is poor game design and that you don't like when a game doesn't hold your hand all the way through. How did you expect people would react?

Ka-pi96 said:

Why can't people just accept that other people like doing things in different ways rather than having to put them down all the time by implying they are a "little baby" or "can't appreciate good game design". Is it really that difficult to accept that others may just like different things?

A lot of it has to do with mainstream gamers forcing the simplification of many game series, so there is a grudge against mainstream gamers. Just look at the Morrowind vs. Skyrim debate. Many people thought Skyrim's systems were oversimplified in way of " accessibility." So basically it is because there are tradeoffs made, and for some it makes games worse in the long haul. When a game actually respects the player and doesn't handhold them as they experience it, they (we) get defensive. It is as if a From Software made Dark Souls games easier because they are too hard for the CoD generation.

Ka-pi96 said:

Convenient? Effecient?

And as for BOTW giving you enough info, well I don't really care. I've never cared about Zelda and likely never will, so how it's done in BOTW doesn't affect my in the slightest. People suggesting all open worlds should do it that way, or that people who don't like it that way have bad taste or something, well those things irk me. I'm playing GTA right now and would I prefer it if the game removed the minimap markers leading to objectives etc? No, I'd find that incredibly frustrating! That isn't me "not appreciating good game design". That's just me wanting to get on with the game and find things as quickly as possible to facilitate that.

And yeah, I do think it's poor game design. But I also know that's only my opinion, as in I was giving it as an example of people liking different things when it comes to game design.

So basically, you are here commenting negatively about what BOTW does, without even actually having played the game to know how it does it...

And nobody said every games should be like that. But BOTW is built around this aspect of its gameplay. Not every games will be built around this concept, where no matter where you go, you will find something interesting that pushes you to keep going forward and constantly discover new stuff. 

If you had played BOTW, you would understand what people are talking about. But instead, you came in here and downplayed the game without knowing how the game achieves this and how it feels for the player.