By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch has sold 1.5m units (Superdata)

WagnerPaiva said:
Roderic_Blackwood said:
20,000 units were sold in Mexico so it was a great start for the Switch here!

Mexico is kicking bRAZIL´s ass. We don´t even have it officially, only in the black market.

20,000 units were sold from Latamel (the importer and distributor) to Mexican retails, I'm sure there're are some left units in some retails but that was the official number, despite the fact that the dollar exchanger and Latamel's high fees made the launch one of the most expensive in Mexican history (along with the PS3) but I know you guys in Brazil have problems with Nintendo because of the taxes. I hope someday NoA realizes that Latin America is a good market and so they open a branch in LA so the chain of distribution directly from them can low the high prices we're paying here...

Around the Network

Could probably sell more if they stopped producing only 5 a month and calling it a day

TorterraBoy said:
twintail said:
2 million for the month is realistic.
Sales seem slightly ahead of the wiiu.

WiiU sold 800,000 at launch during HOLIDAY SEASON, i'd say Switch is very far ahead of the wiiu since Switch launched in March

That's actually a very good point. Didn't think of that at first for some reason.

spurgeonryan said:
I finally got a report saying how many switch pre-order cancellations my store got. Had 4 extra.

Sold through those four in about 2 hours.

Also had the same guy call for the umpteenth day in a row seeing if any preorders were cancelled.

Told him to call best buy daily because they had way more preorders but not sure what his answer was.

Anyways we now have 7 pre orsers waiting to be cancelled and have only recieved 5 extra since our launch allocation.

So what is the net level of existing pre-orders for your store? Do you know the level for any other stores?

Just wondering going by your retail experience if Switch demand is already reducing.

Jumpin said:

I think the Switch has the potential to be the biggest selling console since the DS or Wii in Europe. Mostly because it is has the correct form factor for the current market. The TV top console is in a steady decline. I predict the PS5 will be similar to the Switch, except 3-5X more powerful.

The TV top console is not in decline, PS4 + XOne sells more than PS3 + X360. What declined was the WiiU wich had 0 third party support and has no relation whatsoever with the market changing. Ive been hearing that the console market is declinign since the PS2 era and yet it keeps growing.

The Switch will only sell well if it gets the 3rd party support or if Nintendo shifts its focus from 3DS to the Switch and officialize the second as a handheld and not a home console, cause lets face it it kinda is a portable, as a home console its very underwhelming.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:

Could probably sell more if they stopped producing only 5 a month and calling it a day

Maybe the scalpers work for Nintendo and it is all a big scam!!!!

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

DakonBlackblade said:
Jumpin said:

I think the Switch has the potential to be the biggest selling console since the DS or Wii in Europe. Mostly because it is has the correct form factor for the current market. The TV top console is in a steady decline. I predict the PS5 will be similar to the Switch, except 3-5X more powerful.

The TV top console is not in decline, PS4 + XOne sells more than PS3 + X360. What declined was the WiiU wich had 0 third party support and has no relation whatsoever with the amrket changing. Ive been rearing that the console market is declinign since the PS2 era and eyt it keeps growing.

The Switch will only sell well if it gets the 3rd party support or if Nintendo shifts its focus from 3DS to the Switch and officialize the second as a handheld and not a home console, caus elets face it it kinda is a portable, as a home console its very underwhelming.

Yea, not sure why he only mentions DS or Wii.  The PS2 is the best selling console in EU at 55M+.  And the PS1 and PS3 both beat the Wii's ~34M in EU.  Unless he's only talking Nintendo consoles.  Then, again, he doesn't mention the Gameboy, which also beat the Wii. 

Anyway, I highly doubt the Switch is going to match the DS's 52M, let alone beat it.  Not with its current $299 price and lacking in 3rd party support.  Support that will most likely get worse as more and more titles aim to push the PS4/XBO.  And then in a couple more years we will most likely be getting the PS5, which will most likely be ~6x more powerful than the OG PS4, making it a whopping 28x-30x more powerful than the Switch in docked mode.  That's just too big of a gap for devs to bother porting their AAA games to it.  Unless the Switch sells on its own merits, I think it will see 3rd party support fall somewhere in between the Wii U and 3DS.

And to suggest the PS5 will be a clone of the Switch is quite laughable.  The PS4 is doing great as a traditional home console, slightly outpacing the PS2 currently.  The PS5 will follow that tradition.  If Sony feels compelled to reenter the HH (or "hybrid") market, it will release a specific console for that.

twintail said:
TorterraBoy said:

WiiU sold 800,000 at launch during HOLIDAY SEASON, i'd say Switch is very far ahead of the wiiu since Switch launched in March

so?

The GBA SP was released in Feb/ Mar. Did over 40 million.

PSP saw its US release in March. Overall did over 80 million.

3DS as Fb/ Mar. Has done over 65 millon.

This idea that because the Switch has launched in March and not holiday season as being evidence that is blasting beyond expected sales is nonsense. Likewise Wiiu didnt have nearly as much hype as the Switch did when both launched. Neither did the WiiU have a Zelda BotW-esque game launching with it.

So it's bad that the Switch is beating the Wii U by almost 100%? Alrighty then... 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

twintail said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So it's bad that the Switch is beating the Wii U by almost 100%? Alrighty then... 

No, you just arent bothering to read.

"Sales seem slightly ahead of the Wii U". 

Yeah, I can read just fine. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

twintail said:
TorterraBoy said:

so?

The GBA SP was released in Feb/ Mar. Did over 40 million.

PSP saw its US release in March. Overall did over 80 million.

3DS as Fb/ Mar. Has done over 65 millon.

This idea that because the Switch has launched in March and not holiday season as being evidence that is blasting beyond expected sales is nonsense. Likewise Wiiu didnt have nearly as much hype as the Switch did when both launched. Neither did the WiiU have a Zelda BotW-esque game launching with it.

what do lifetime sales have to do with launch sales?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.