By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (The Jimquisition)

Alkibiádēs said:
potato_hamster said:

I have an idea, instead of this work around where you find ways to recover broken weapons that's tedious and annoying, the weapon could just not break in the first place.

How great would that be?

Where would be the excitement for finding rare weapons then? I was genuinly excited when I raided Hyrule Castle early in the game and brought home a lot of treasure. 

If weapons wouldn't break I'd just use the same weapon and tactic over and over again while now I'm forced to rethink my strategies depending on my inventory: will I sneak past this section, will I shower the enemies with arrows or will I use a spear or sword? I've also killed enemies in ways that I didn't think were possible and would have never tried if weapons didn't break. 

And that lot of treasure was rendered unusable in a handful of fights. It's Nonsense.

If weapons wouldn't break, when you found rare weapons, you could actually use them for more than one fight or two. Instead you're pretty much fighting with whatever your enemies drop, and saving your rare weapons for bigger fights. Will you shower your enemies with arrows? i don't know, does your bow break after you shot a couple? Probably. Will you go from your spear to your sword after your spear breaks? Undoubtedly. Will you pick up an enemy's left arm to try to beat the last enemy to death because you've run out of usable weapons? That's a possibility.

Here's a hint: If you're forced a gamer to do something in a game, that's the opposite of giving the player the freedom to play as they see fit.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Where would be the excitement for finding rare weapons then? I was genuinly excited when I raided Hyrule Castle early in the game and brought home a lot of treasure. 

If weapons wouldn't break I'd just use the same weapon and tactic over and over again while now I'm forced to rethink my strategies depending on my inventory: will I sneak past this section, will I shower the enemies with arrows or will I use a spear or sword? I've also killed enemies in ways that I didn't think were possible and would have never tried if weapons didn't break. 

And that lot of treasure was rendered unusable in a handful of fights. It's Nonsense.

If weapons wouldn't break, when you found rare weapons, you could actually use them for more than one fight or two. Instead you're pretty much fighting with whatever your enemies drop, and saving your rare weapons for bigger fights. Will you shower your enemies with arrows? i don't know, does your bow break after you shot a couple? Probably. Will you go from your spear to your sword after your spear breaks? Undoubtedly. Will you pick up an enemy's left arm to try to beat the last enemy to death because you've run out of usable weapons? That's a possibility.

Here's a hint: If you're forced a gamer to do something in a game, that's the opposite of giving the player the freedom to play as they see fit.

Nah, I still have some left after 10 or so hours. Helped me a lot at some tough fights though. 

If rare weapons didn't break they wouldn't feel so special. I'm never out of decent weapons anyway, maybe you should try to explore the world you're in. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

I have an idea, instead of this work around where you find ways to recover broken weapons that's tedious and annoying, the weapon could just not break in the first place.

How great would that be?

I never needed to do what I suggested above because I am always loaded with weapons. I have actually the opposite problem, that I use cool elemental weapons regardless of what I am fighting, because I don't need as many elemental weapons as I find; and I don't want to throw elemental weapons away, so I use them up.

Yea, the longer one plays this game you start to see that one is throwing away more often than not a cool weapon. I'm not throwing away boku spears or clubs, or ruster claymores, or hell even soldiers claymore/swords anymore. I'm finding myself tossing elemental stuff all the time. For one, they are less durable I found, and two they are just so much situational. They are great obviously when fighting the right enemy cause they are OHKO, but many times you just start the enemies weapon on for for example and take more damage, lol. Or the arrows do what you want anyway. You know freeze them, or shoot teh water with shock arrows. Much more versatile with arrows, and creativity, than a generic lightning greatsword.

I actually will drop a lightning sword if i find say a soldiers sword. Finding stronger swords than that usually, just example.

potato_hamster said:

You are more worried about spending your arrows than your bow breaking. Bows detorirate much slower than melee weapons. Many of the problems people have with weapon degregation is that they are using the wrong weapons on the wrong enemies. You shouldn't be using swords for hitting shields, in example. That is bound to get your sword broken. You need to use axes or spears to either avoid the shield or destroy it/fling it out of the enemies hands. Then you can switch to a sword if you wish. Certain attacks also instantly break weapons. 

If you follow these (realistic) gameplay rules, you can preserve your weapons longer. It requires planning though. Just as in a survival-horror game you plan to preserve ammunition, the same is true about planning how to use your favorite weapons. Later in the game, great weapons are so common that it isn't a problem, and since enemies scale as you complete things, you never feel like you are wasting weapons on undeserving enemies. 

sc94597 said:
potato_hamster said:

You are more worried about spending your arrows than your bow breaking. Bows detorirate much slower than melee weapons. Many of the problems people have with weapon degregation is that they are using the wrong weapons on the wrong enemies. You shouldn't be using swords for hitting shields, in example. That is bound to get your sword broken. You need to use axes or spears to either avoid the shield or destroy it/fling it out of the enemies hands. Then you can switch to a sword if you wish. Certain attacks also instantly break weapons. 

If you follow these (realistic) gameplay rules, you can preserve your weapons longer. It requires planning though. Just as in a survival-horror game you plan to preserve ammunition, the same is true about planning how to use your favorite weapons. Later in the game, great weapons are so common that it isn't a problem, and since enemies scale as you complete things, you never feel like you are wasting weapons on undeserving enemies. 

Do you like me find you are tossing a weapon more often than it breaking.

I hardly have a weapon break now, unless it's on purpose. You know, throwing a weapon at a foe for max damage. But more often than not now, I'm replacing my weapons with new ones long before they break.

Only time I break a couple is when I stupidly rush into a battle with a large group of enemies. But if you pick off a few with arrows or environmental things or stealth before the battle, I never end up breaking a sword in teh ensuing battle. But if I rush headlong in, I will break a bunch. That tip during loading screens does not lie.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
potato_hamster said:

Nah, I still have some left after 10 or so hours. Helped me a lot at some tough fights though. 

If rare weapons didn't break they wouldn't feel so special. I'm never out of decent weapons anyway, maybe you should try to explore the world you're in. 

Uhh. How does this make any sense at all?

"Look at this awesome sword that just broke after 10 hits! Man I loved that sword. I found another 14 of them off of enemies I killed with that sword, and have my inventory jammed full of them, because they're just that special."

irstupid said:

Do you like me find you are tossing a weapon more often than it breaking.

I hardly have a weapon break now, unless it's on purpose. You know, throwing a weapon at a foe for max damage. But more often than not now, I'm replacing my weapons with new ones long before they break.

Absolutely, I have problems deciding which weapons I want to toss out, because they are all good. 

It felt annoying during the first hours, when I just could get bokoblin clubs and with a lot of luck a sword. Like many people have already pointed out, I didn't like the idea of using the cool looking sword because it would inevitably break, so I saved it in the inventory and relied on the bokoblins' weapons.

After a while, though, I realized there were four types of weapons, and sometimes the only difference between them was the durability, but this wasn't much an issue because Hyrule is full of weapons, shortages are always rare. For example, there isn't much of a difference between an enhanced club and a traveler's sword, maybe just 2 points of attack advantage for the sword.

This is when I started to see weapons as simple numbers. If a weapon has more potential than the ones I already have, I look for its weakest counterpart in my inventory and drop it and grab the new one, no attachments whatsoever. There some exceptions, like weapons with special effects, such as electrical swords, which can stun enemies and even hit more than their normal damage, so even if I found a sword with 50 attack, I would keep my electrical sword with 30 attack, because I know the latter offers more conveniences.

I wish I hadn't the necessity to do this, though, but, as a result, I don't mind the durability system in BotW that much, but I would say "yes" to its removal.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

The fire sword.

Pretty much every cool weapon has a spot in the game where it's stuck in the ground or leans against a wall and can easily be picked up. It takes a good while to respawn though (at least one hour). Additionally, enemies can occasionally be armed with rarer weapons, so usually there's more than one source for each weapon.

You can place up to 100 stamps on the map to mark important locations. The photo feature of the shiekah stone can add weapons to your almanac, so you can read up on the rough location of your desired weapon and activate the sensor to track it down. Taking pictures of everything you come across makes things easier to find. You can drop weapons and items from your inventory to take a picture and then pick up the dropped stuff to add it back to your inventory.

I had honestly no idea that this was how it works. Predictaby I will now proceed to manically photograf everything in my Inventory.

Metallox said:
It felt annoying during the first hours, when I just could get bokoblin clubs and with a lot of luck a sword. Like many people have already pointed out, I didn't like the idea of using the cool looking sword because it would inevitably break, so I saved it in the inventory and relied on the bokoblins' weapons.

After a while, though, I realized there were four types of weapons, and sometimes the only difference between them was the durability, but this wasn't much an issue because Hyrule is full of weapons, shortages are always rare. For example, there isn't much of a difference between an enhanced club and a traveler's sword, maybe just 2 points of attack advantage for the sword.

This is when I started to see weapons as simple numbers. If a weapon has more potential than the ones I already have, I look for its weakest counterpart in my inventory and drop it and grab the new one, no attachments whatsoever. There some exceptions, like weapons with special effects, such as electrical swords, which can stun enemies and even hit more than their normal damage, so even if I found a sword with 50 attack, I would keep my electrical sword with 30 attack, because I know the latter offers more conveniences.

I wish I hadn't the necessity to do this, though, but, as a result, I don't mind the durability system in BotW that much, but I would say "yes" to its removal.

There are other differences besides attack power. Spears are faster and have the use of keeping an enemy far away. Axes and two-hand swords can be used to get through shields. One-hand swords are general purpose. And all of these weapons have different attacks speeds. The number on the weapon is its attack power not its dps (damage per second.) And then there are issues of what a weapon is made of. A certain boss is easier with wooden weapons and shields, and a certain area is undoable with only wooden weapons and shields (because they burn up.)