By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

golfgt170 said:
Metallox said:

I hope you understand that a lot of these notes are just plain and simple trolling, tens and zeros included.

Overall, can't believe there's this much buzz just because the game dropped one point in Metacritic. Jim's review is decent and seems honest (and I agree with him on some points, there's a reason why I haven't truly enjoyed 30 of 35 hours in this game).

Already answered: ALL games in metacritic user score, get troll 0%. No exceptions there. What i meant is that this zelda is way to low compared to the 97% it got even when compared to the other zelda games

Metacritic wasn't as popular back then as it is today, though. Breath of the Wild arrived with a 98 in a time when reviews seem to be serious business for a few people. The GTA games are on a similar position, for instance.

Also, consider that the game's got a lot of negative ratings, do you honestly think that at least half of these notes could be honest? http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/user-reviews?dist=negative There are a few comments with a little credibility, like that one of zeroex_15, but if a lot of people are going to put 0 to a game that they just didn't like without taking in consideration at least some of the game's merits, like physics, NPCs, etc., IDK, then this 7.6 was bound to happen.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

potato_hamster said:

This is such a horse shit argument. It doesn't "limit your ability to efficiently travel until you upgrade it", it just limits your ability to efficiently travel. Period. Even when fully upgraded, it still limits your ability to efficently travel. During the entire course of the game you are hampered by the stamina system regardless of how much it's upgraded. It just becomes less bad. 

There are horses in the game too that go much faster than Link can even sprint.

Why doesn't Link just walk as quickly as the horse runs? 

potato_hamster said:

I never played Morrowind, so I can't comment on that.

This is such a horse shit argument. It doesn't "limit your ability to efficiently travel until you upgrade it", it just limits your ability to efficiently travel. Period. Even when fully upgraded, it still limits your ability to efficently travel. During the entire course of the game you are hampered by the stamina system regardless of how much it's upgraded. It just becomes less bad.

"See we have this annoying system that gets more tolerable as the game goes on. and this is great because it gives you a sense your character has grown because at the end of the game it's less shitty than it was before". 

Nope. Not buying it.

When you have three full bars of stamina you can do much more than when you only have one. But you wouldn't know because you haven't played the game and you are going off a misfactual review that was intended to be biased. 

Have you played Skyrim? Can you sprint forever in that game? No? It must have gotten a 7/10. Let's see what Jim Sterling thought about it. 

https://www.destructoid.com/review-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-215507.phtml

10/10? 

Travelling in BotW is less of a problem than in many other open-world fantasy games because you have multiple means of doing it. But try to spin it how you wish. 

As i already told: ALL GAMES in metacritic go by the same rules. All get trolling 10/10 from fans and all get 0% from trolling gamers that want to reduce the score. Zelda, Horizon, Nioh, Gears of war, Halo etc. ALL games get the same love/hate.

golfgt170 said:
As i already told: ALL GAMES in metacritic go by the same rules. All get trolling 10/10 from fans and all get 0% from trolling gamers that want to reduce the score. Zelda, Horizon, Nioh, Gears of war, Halo etc. ALL games get the same love/hate.

And this is factually wrong. Certain games get more attention from trolls than others. They all get it, but not in the same proportions. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
archer9234 said:

People want proper realism. Not hampered gameplay. Why can't Link run for a full minute. Like a real person. Either do realism right. Or don't bother.

Different people can sprint for different lengths. Not everyone has the same amount of stamina. Link's increases with training, just like a real person's would. 

I doubt you can sprint for a full minute at your full speed by the way. That is much harder to do than you think, as a minute is much longer than you think. Plus an ingame minute is a second in our time. There is a balance between full realisism and game logic to be had here. Having only one or the other would make the game bad. 

For how much time can a normal sprint at full speed before running out of breath? 

"It depends on what you mean by “running out of breath.”

An elite sprinter can only run 6 to 8 seconds at maximum effort before starting to slow down. In a 100 meter race, the runners are already slowing down before the finish because it is impossible to maintain maximum effort that long. Full, maximum speed only occurs for a couple seconds, after the runner has accelerated to as fast as they can go, and before fatigue causes them to start to slow.

While a 400 meter race is considered a “sprint” it is not and cannot be run a full speed. Even Olympic 400m runners pace it so they run at less than maximum speed the entire race.

If you define “out of breath” in physiological terms, it get more complicated. In simple terms, aerobic running is done at a pace slow enough that you are able to bring in enough oxygen to maintain that speed - although you will experience fatigue and eventually need to slow for other reasons. Anaerobic running is done at a speed fast enough that you burn more oxygen than you can bring in. How quickly you run out of oxygen is dependent on how much faster you are running than the speed where you can bring in enough oxygen to replace what you use. A full explanation of what really happens physiologically is beyond what I can cover here, but if you really want to know look up alactic metabolism and lactate metabolism. But in short, simple terms, when “sprinting at full speed” as you say, even elite athletes literally are partially suffocating within the first 10 seconds.

When not running “at full speed” in a distance race (say a local 5K) runners will still “run out of breath” near the end of the race if they have paced it correctly. When racing for time even a long distance runner will reach maximum effort at the finish, and have very labored breathing."

I don't see that as a sprint. I see that as Link running. His normal pace that we move in, is his walk. I edited my post to 30-60 seconds. And I don't ackonegle the games in game time speed, towards real life. If that was the case. ALL actions would be faster. That's just for the sake of having night time even happen, in the game.

sc94597 said:
potato_hamster said:

I never played Morrowind, so I can't comment on that.

"See we have this annoying system that gets more tolerable as the game goes on. and this is great because it gives you a sense your character has grown because at the end of the game it's less shitty than it was before". 

Nope. Not buying it.

When you have three full bars of stamina you can do much more than when you only have one. But you wouldn't know because you haven't played the game and you are going off a misfactual review that was intended to be biased. 

Have you played Skyrim? Can you sprint forever in that game? No? It must have gotten a 7/10. Let's see what Jim Sterling thought about it. 

https://www.destructoid.com/review-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-215507.phtml

10/10? 

Travelling in BotW is less of a problem than in many other open-world fantasy games because you have multiple means of doing it. But try to spin it how you wish. 

Now. I know this might be hard for you to consider, but maybe, just mayyyyyyybe, Jim Sterling's 7/10 score is based off of more than just his dislike of the stamina mechanic. Let's just take a time out and consider that possibility, shall we?

But hey, why actually accept that the stamina mechanic is flawed, and others don't like it, when we can compare it to other games that have absolutely no bearing on how well the stamina system works in BotW?

golfgt170 said:

I went and made this nice collage of games that scored the highly praised 94+%. Not only loved by critics, but from users aswell. Not something to argue i think. I beleieve we all (DESPITE our gaming prefernces) love these games, or believe that they worth all the praise they got:

As you can see, critic scores are somewhat familiar with the scores that gamers gave, 4,5 points max diference.

And then we have the critically aclaimed Zelda BotW that ravaged critic scores with a whopping 97% so far. But what about the users?

As you can see, we are a bit torn between critics and gamers. a whopping 21% differnce surely is not something to go by. Sure 7.6 is still great (hence 7/10 from sterling), but to go up to 97%. And for a zelda game when previous entries where so close in scores? Too much to go by... 

Any reviews in the first week should be disconsidered, really. User reviews on metacritic are worthless, as they don't verify purchase. The 4.7 stars from 425 verified customers on Amazon, by the way. Of the three 1-star reviews, 1 complained about delivery time and another about the ERSB rating (teen), too violent...

People that bought the game are generally satisfied.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

There are 136 fast travel points in Breath of the Wild.

Why aren't they all unlocked from the start? And there should be no load times. And the enemies do too much damage and I shouldn't have to play the game to get more hearts.

(Okay this is actually pretty fun XD)

golfgt170 said:

I went and made this nice collage of games that scored the highly praised 94+%. Not only loved by critics, but from users aswell. Not something to argue i think. I beleieve we all (DESPITE our gaming prefernces) love these games, or believe that they worth all the praise they got:

-snip-

As you can see, critic scores are somewhat familiar with the scores that gamers gave, 4,5 points max diference.

And then we have the critically aclaimed Zelda BotW that ravaged critic scores with a whopping 97% so far. But what about the users?

-snip-

As you can see, we are a bit torn between critics and gamers. a whopping 21% differnce surely is not something to go by. Sure 7.6 is still great (hence 7/10 from sterling), but to go up to 97%. And for a zelda game when previous entries where so close in scores? Too much to go by... 

Don't put any weight in metacritic user scores, a lot more goes into generating them than just quality. Nintendo were previously mostly left alone, but a combination of the Switch's launch and Zelda's critical reception helped bring a lot of attention to it. Uncharted 4, Halo 5, etc, went through the same thing. Horizon was at 7.0 for a while because someone was botting it with 0's, but they were so blatant about it (it was like 200+ votes within a short period) that metacritic noticed and removed them.