By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda Breath of the Wild overrated?

captain carot said:
No, it's not. :p
It's one of the best games i've ever played, even with flaws.

And honestly, how far should Dark Souls have been downrated if it comes to technical issues?

P.S.: Personally i think GTA is absolutely boring. But i have no issues with the rating every GTA gets.

See...thats just the point. Most people cannot separate an objective breakdown from an emotional reaction to playing a really great game. Technical flaws still takes away from games. Most non-nintendo games have these flaws affect their scores, but Nintendo seems to effortlessly get the pass. Mass Effect is my favorite franchise of all time, but I can admit the game had serious flaws. Subjectively it was the best game to me, but technically it was far from it.

Around the Network

Amazing game. I think the reviews are fair. I personally wouldn't mark a game down for occasional low frame rates. The ability to play a game of such quality on a portable is surely a first. I can't think of a Vita game as good in playability terms. It's not my all-time favourite game though. It may not even make my top ten but definitely my favourite wii u game. It's not my favourite genre and I tend to prefer the first person viewpoint to third person so it drops a little bit because of that. I still prefer Skyrim for example.

However Zelda has a huge amount of charm and that Nintendo magic plus playability is a bit more fine tuned than Skyrim but like Skyrim there can be some boring interludes between things of interest happening, travel time etc. There is a lot more open space in Zelda because of the low performance of the hardware. In fact when you use the zoom option to look at distant objects its like looking at a ps1 game. Other times it looks remarkable and very beautiful and a real treat for the humble wii u.

Mnementh said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
It is overrated. With the frame rate issues that game had, it should never have been given a ten. Most pro reviewers are going to realize that when they step back from having played the game. 9.7 is fine too even but give a technically flawed game that affect performance a perfect score takes away from the seriousness of objectivity.

Well to be fair, many reviewers have only a five-point-scale. Giving a 5/5 is OK in my book. A 10/10 is more discussion-worthy, but going lower than 9/10 is really hard to justify. We forget that review often have a less fine scale than Metacritic.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Saying 5/5 is more psychologically pleasing since we actually use a five point system isn the service industry. Admittedly, five star resturaunts are just really popular because of their overall attention to detail though in covering all bases of the experience you're expected to have. Even then, it brings us back to square one as to how we should percieve things from an experience or a technical level. It seems people tend to not weigh these things in the same way. 

After 23 hours so far, I would say no. After 40 or 60 (or more) hours of play, who knows? At this point I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it even with the stellar reception the game has received. Frame-rate issues in villages (I'm on the Wii U version) are the only downside for me so far, everything else is superb.

fluky-nintendy said:
It's just another open world game with the key point of having Zelda in its name. But nothing new for those who play these kind of games often imo is overrated. 93 at best.

Your post has very good points. How far are you into the game since judging by your sentence i can estimate you played around 0 hours of the game

Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
It's just another open world game with the key point of having Zelda in its name. But nothing new for those who play these kind of games often imo is overrated. 93 at best.

Actually lost reviews compared Zelda BotW to other open world, and what exactly Zelda doing great and so much better. Fact is that Nintendo perfectly nailed "open world" with Zelda BotW.

No, and I haven't even played it yet.

A lot of flaws!?

After 35 hours of play, only flaw I see is occasional frame drop, everything else is so good.
So no, game isn't overrated at all, it relly is one of best games ever, and I am pretty sure that score would be higher if there is no that ocunal frame drop.

No. HELL NO.

I will say this, and I dont care what people responde: a game in 2017, a flagship game for a console., should atleast run 1080p, and if it cant even do that? it shouldnt have framerate issues at all.