By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Launch Sales Numbers are Manufactured?

Landguy said:

No need to quote some random website.  Just use some common sense here.

Nintendo knows how many systems they have sold at any launch previous to the Switch.  The easy way to ensure your new system sells more than any other launch is to manufacture way more than the other launches and tell tales of sold out pre sells.  People will assue that this will be the same as all other launches of game systems and the new system will be hard to get.  They will line up to get whatever you manufacture.  

So, exceeding any previous launch is almost completely up to Nintendo to decide on.  Why launch in March?  Because they did the math and they wouldn't have enough systems made to even keep them instock for Nov 2016, let alone March this year.   So, delay the launch from Nov 2016 to March 2017 and you can break all the nintendo sales records you want.  No software was probably another problem, but obviously not a big enough one to stop launching now versus 3-6 months from now.

So, the sales numbers are literally manufactured to beat all previous launches...

Nintendo can't afford to not have "the best launch ever" after the wiiU.  Give them credit for using some common sense.

dude Nintendo said in January they will have 2 million systems to sell for the month of March.......this stock not big enough to beat a holiday numbers from other consoles who sold as much as 2 million in one region america alone......so even if they sold a lot in the first few days.....they will have big number drops until April come around when they make new systems........so nothing is manufactured and get some rest and let it go

(Switch friend code 4384-8283-7514)

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
naruball said:

What are you even talking about? Never did I state that this is a fact. Read the bolded instead of jumping to conclusions. Or are you gonna go through every single post and say "ha, this isn't a fact". Newsflash, most of the time we're guessing what's happening.

I object to when people says it makes sense that the OP claims that Nintendo manufactured their sales number, in essence lying about their launch when there is nothing that support the idea other than a persons imagination.

So you basically do not disapprove of the actual OP, you just disapprove of the detail that the OP talked about "manufactured sales numbers", believing that this particular wording suggests that Nintendo lied about the sales numbers. Correct?

If so, I agree. The OP is mostly correct, but talking about "manufactured sales numbers" creates a wrong impression.

Both wii and wii u sold a lot of consoles at launch about 3 million in similar time, one had demand that outstripped supply for many months and the other sales dropped off a cliff shortly after launch.

The issue is how much real demand is there. If you say there is 5 million of Nintendo core audience, 20 million of potential customers who may get on board depending on price and game quality and maybe 80 million of very casual buyers who really need to be convinced that its a must have item by media reports and friends then you have to work out how far the Switch appeal will go.

Even if it fails shortly after launch its not like Nintendo can't price drop though anyway. They have set accessory and game prices very high so even if they had to subsidise the retail hardware price of consoles a bit they would still be quids in. The Switch hardware is probably hugely profitable currently and would probably remain profitable even with a heavy price drop although of course Nintendo needs to still claw back a huge amount of R&D invested in the Switch design. Lowering the price would slow the rate of re-couping that money.

zorg1000 said:
Platina said:
From creating artificial demand to over supplying to beat other console FW sales

Now I've seen everything relating to the Switch

Switch is both over and undershipped............impressive

It's a feat only the most sinister of companies could pull of.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Around the Network

Nintendo manufacturing numbers?

Does it mean that Nintendo just found another business area to make money with products like these? 

RolStoppable said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

It's the video game console manufacturer themselves who determine their launch sales numbers.
Because unless the producer would ship an insanely high amount of hardware units for launch, it's guaranteed that your product will get sold out in most places shortly after launch - so the launch sales numbers are more or less identical to the numbers of units shipped for launch.

Too bad that the Wii U had equal or higher stock than Switch at launch and didn't get the launch records, so it's definitely not up to console manufacturers to determine their launch sales numbers. Of course, they can ship a high enough number of units to beat previous records, but selling them is an entirely different story.

Take Europe for example. Wii U stock for the holiday quarter was big enough to get all launch sales records, but not only did the Wii U fail to get them

As I get it, you're basically just confirming my posting by saying that the WiiU launch was very much an exception from the usual console launches, as Nintendo did indeed "ship an insanely high amount of hardware units for launch" - resulting in the WiiU being one of the few consoles not being"sold out in most places shortly after launch".

COKTOE said:
Yep. By Foxconn. The addition of anti-suicide nets have buoyed console numbers for everybody though. So no matter your allegiance, we all win.

interesting fact the nets are almost gone because they are replacing the million workers with robots.

I'm very impressed by the ability of Nintendo naysayers to create elaborate explanations for Nintendo's success. It's as if they can't accept them doing well.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

The OP is an example of a plausible opinion that wasn't explained well. I think I understand what OP is trying to say but since they aren't explaining themselves that great, it's going to get torn apart. The community here aren't forgiving enough to try and understand the OP so it's important you explain yourself properly, back it up with good reasons and debate your opinion. OP has failed on all 3 fronts.