By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MGS4 live up to MGS2?

billy07 said:
Onimusha12 said:
billy07 said:

Maybe you people should read more philosophy books. I assure you they are all extremely abstract an complex making it difficult to understand the concept behind the words. MGS2 is also complex, but tackling the issues of Identity, universal vs subject truths, "self", memes, what to pass on and a lot more is far deeper than what any film of game does. MGS3 had it's philosophical content stripped down too far.

You people should read the Texas profesors essay (regardless of spelling it is good content) and James Howels analysis to comprehend the scope of the game.

Well isn't that convenient, an excuse that doesn't rely on any objective reasoning, just the acusation that its too complicated for the critics to grasp.

Even if there was any credibility to this statement maybe Kojima should have taken into account he was making a game for entertainment, not retranslating Neiztche.

When did he ay he was making the game for entertainment purposes? That's your own assumption that got you riled up without any basis fort. MGS has always been foremost movie, game second. Kojima even admits to that. Eventhough movies are dubbed an entertainment medium I wouldn't consider national geographic, history channel, etc entertaining as much as educational. Not every game must be entertaining. some games can and should provide social, political, philosophical messages before gameplay or entertainment as that is what provides the industry with variety. We have enough games for entertainment already, play one of those others like me would prefer some brain food in our games instead.

Oh dear god... Here we go... The whole its a Movie not a game argument... Just stop.... Just, just... Just stop....

I don't know what is sadder, the fact you consider this game intellectual or that you think intellectuality is something that should be pursued in spite of all other aspects of gameplay or story telling.

billy07 said:
Characters weren't fleshed out? What do you call the Cobra unit then?

hand fisted, forced and given about as much thought as telling the player these characters had a past.

Around the Network

the first metal gear solid is the best!

''Hadouken!''

Compare that to MGS, and the power and punch of the scene with Sniper Wolf

The part where the minor supporting villain babbles on for 10 minutes about her past while she's dying? Long-winded melodramatic crap. I'm a big fan of MGS, but that's not a scene I'd hold up as a high point.

billy07 said:

Maybe you people should read more philosophy books. I assure you they are all extremely abstract an complex making it difficult to understand the concept behind the words. MGS2 is also complex, but tackling the issues of Identity, universal vs subject truths, "self", memes, what to pass on and a lot more is far deeper than what any film of game does. MGS3 had it's philosophical content stripped down too far.

You people should read the Texas profesors essay (regardless of spelling it is good content) and James Howels analysis to comprehend the scope of the game.

I already had to read quite a few of those in college, thanks. And comparing MGS2 to work like Descartes' Six Meditations or Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil is ridiculous at best, downright insulting at worst. Shit, it can't even compete with a movie like 2001:A Space Odyssey when it comes to the topics of man's role in the universe, free will, or self-awareness.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Come on, Patriots dead for 100 years? How could you not shit your pants.

Around the Network

Damn.. MGS2 was like a Movie. In terms gameplay it was too short.

Aj_habfan said:
Come on, Patriots dead for 100 years? How could you not shit your pants.

Sorry I guess was too constipated from the gaping plot hole that fact created.

The fact it was stated, denied, reafirmed, denied again, reafirmed again, questionably avoided and never resolved just sort of ending up as another peice of collateral damage in the nonsensical plot.

Also, the Patriots existing on as a collective consciousness through mass electronic media, which might I point out didn't even emerge in even its most primitive form until 60 years after they allegedly died... yeah... What? Did their collective minds exist in the Ink of Newspapers before mass electronic media emerged? Or was that alien technology.

billy07 said:
rocketpig said:
Supposed said:
There's a huge amount of over-exaggeration in this thread. The true philosophical discussion/bullshit only comes into the game in the last half hour. If you cannot enjoy MGS2 because of its last half hour, or call it 'similar to being raped' then you obviously have never played a bad game.

It's a fact that game storylines have a long way to come compared to any other media format, but shooting a game down for trying to do something more than the 'SPACE MARINE SHOOT ALIEN' or 'orphaned child seeks revenge' clichés annoys me greatly.

Apart from that this thread reeks of anti-sony fanboyism.

I would call it anti-Konamism more than anything. I'll play MGS4 but I'm not going to buy it until I find out whether Kojima pulled a MGS2 on me or not.

I mentioned earlier that the gameplay wasn't bad, though Raiden annoyed the shit out of me. Outside of the story and Raiden, I have no problems with the game.

And we're not saying that games shouldn't try to be more than "See Space Marine, Shoot Alien", we just want the more complex stories not to suck. After all, you don't see threads starting up talking about how terrible Deus Ex's story was.

Deus ex didn't teach me about identity, memes, truths, self, what to pass on, censorship, freedom, society.

That is your fault, Deus Ex made their points across the entire game without ever forcing too much on the player, and always had an impeccable presentation.

Look at this dialogue, that shows how much superior Deus Ex is to MGS2:

"So, below, you’ll find a short (but complete) dialogue copied from the game’s files between JC Denton, the player character, and Morpheus, a friendly artificial intelligence. This takes place in Paris, in a little room off a lab in one of the other characters’ bases. It’s a testament to the game’s level of detail that entering the room in which this takes place is not only not required, it’s not even hinted at. Yet, as you can see, the work that went into this is immense, demonstrating that the writers have a clear understanding of and interesting perspective on political philosophy:

Morpheus: JC Denton. 23 years old. No residence. No ancestors. No employer. No–
JC: How do you know who I am?
Morpheus: I must greet each visitor with a complete summary of his file. I am a prototype for a much larger system.
JC: What else do you know about me?
Morpheus: Everything that can be known.
JC: Go on. Do you have proof about my ancestors?
Morpheus: You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals.
JC: I’m engineered. So what? My brother and I suspected as much while we were growing up.
Morpheus: You are carefully watched by many people. The unplanned organism is a question asked by Nature and answered by death. You are another kind of question with another kind of answer.
JC: Are you programmed to invent riddles?
Morpheus: I am a prototype for a much larger system. The heuristics language developed by Dr. Everett allows me to convey the highest and most succinct tier of any pyramidal construct of knowledge.
JC: How about a report on yourself?
Morpheus: I was a prototype for Echelon IV. My instructions are to amuse visitors with information about themselves.
JC: I don’t see anything amusing about spying on people.
Morpheus: Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are.
JC: Some people just don’t understand the dangers of indiscriminate surveillance.
Morpheus: The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms.
JC: Electronic surveillance hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence.
Morpheus: God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgment, and punishment. Other sentiments toward them were secondary.
JC: No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera.
Morpheus: The human organism always worships. First it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgment of others), next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgment.
JC: You underestimate humankind’s love of freedom.
Morpheus: The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization.

There are a few more remarks that happen if you try to engage Morpheus in conversation further, but no further real dialogues are launched:

Morpheus: The human being created civilization not because of a willingness but because of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

This one is probably the most-quoted line in Deus Ex:

Morpheus: God was a dream of good government."

http://www.acroyear2.org/2007/11/24/a-small-snippet-of-deus-ex/

GOD this is making me want to play Deus Ex AGAIN!!

rocketpig said:
billy07 said:

I already had to read quite a few of those in college, thanks. And comparing MGS2 to work like Descartes' Six Meditations or Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil is ridiculous at best, downright insulting at worst. Shit, it can't even compete with a movie like 2001:A Space Odyssey when it comes to the topics of man's role in the universe, free will, or self-awareness.

This. This is what it comes down to. It tried to be deep. It failed. Who cares if it was a videogame, or a movie. There is no different standard, it doesn't get a free pass to intellectualism because it was on PS2 instead of on the big screen.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

what consoles is Deus Ex on?