By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nier and Nioh are unfortunately poorly named and timed for release

Nier. Nioh.

I follow gaming sites, so I know the difference. But many others really don't. So when you try to bring these games up in everyday conversation all people hear is:

Ner. Nier. Nor. Nioh. Ne-roh. Ne. No. Ni. Roh.

So you have these two splendid games: Nier and Nioh. And they were aunched in the same window of time as two extensively marketed, really big exclusives: Zelda and Horizon.

So between the easy name mixup and the mass amount of mindshare Horizon and Zelda have right now - I think sales of Nier and Nioh are certainly weaker than if they launched in a release window that they could more easily claim as their own.

Of course, Nioh had the head start and has already sold pretty well - so I think that may unfortunately give Nier the short straw here. 

"Hey did you check out Nier?"

"Yeah I did, just bought it" (actuallly meant Nioh)

... I can't be the only one thinking this.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Well, at least Nier has a subtitle.

And yet, both games have nothing to do with each other, don't look like each other at all (and the front covers either), and are both selling great so far.

So what you're saying is that there should be a Nier/Nioh crossover, aka Nieroh?

I totally understand your feeling. At times I thought to myself ''Is it the same game?'' Clearly they had some kind of simultaneous genius flash but yes, marketing-wise it was very ill-advised that they both keep very akin names.

Around the Network

Ni-oh and Ni-er closely timed with the Ni-ntendo switch. It's a Ni-conspiracy.

Nioh sold out in US, so I think their biggest issue was underestimating how successful it would be.

My 8th gen collection

Nier Automata outsold the original lifetime Japanese sales in launch week. It will almost certainly massively outperform the original in EU and NA too given it's reviews.

And Nioh has done over 1m already. I know that was shipments, but another week on plus digital, it has done great.

I think they will both be fine and both will sell enough to make sequels likely

Im not sure I agree, I personally dont have any trouble with the names, and Nioh launched in the right time. I dont think we should have a lot of time between high profile games. I actually like that we are getting 4-5 in a 2 month period. And as you said, Nioh sold well. And has great reviews.

As for Nier, perhaps the timing is too close to Horizon and Zelda, but its such a niche game that I dont think it was gonna cause a big fuss, no matter how great its reviews. I plan to buy it as soon as it comes out, meaning tomorrow, but I get why people wouldnt put it first or second on their list.

Holidays for exclusives are in Q1 nowadays, because they can't compete with the big 3rd party games. I was kind of jealous of the online hype for Nier, when Nioh was already released and a fantastic game at that. People just need to buy both!

but Nier is "Nier automata" not just "nier". Nioh on the other hand is just "Nioh". Nier does have the disadvantage of being released closer to horizon and zelda though.

but so far nier has gotten excellent reviews so i don't think it'll do too bad.