By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameStop - Switch launch was 'one of the strongest & most successful' console launches in several years

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
Well the PS4 launched a couple of years ago. So this makes sense.

The PS4 launched 2 years ago?

Around the Network

I will say, the crowd at my local Best Buy (where I preordered) was about 150 people, and the Gamestop in the same shopping center appeared to have about 50 people. At Best Buy, a great many of those people, probably 100 or so, were trying to get units that they had not pre-ordered.

I've been at several console launches, going back to XBox 360. I'm thinking this was the largest crowd I've seen. But, I've never been at the same store for a launch twice. So, my comparison doesn't mean much. Also, midnight launches for consoles just started with the WiiU. So, there have really only been 4 of them that could be reasonably compared based on crowd size.

leyendax69 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Nothing from Nintendo, so I doubt it. 

But it's sold out EVERYWHERE!!

How many units were put out?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Launch overall sounds good, but the real question is if it can hold momentum..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Eh, this is why I don't really care about Gamestop PR. They say this kind of stuff for every HW launch. I don't know if it's included in advertising deals with the chain or if they just do it themselves to try to pump up the hype for a console's launch, hoping to drive more sales. Either way, it's always generic info that doesn't mean anything. Kinda like knowing gaming stats for a console for a specific month.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
KLAMarine said:

Let's just call it PR spin.

And yes, it does sound like PR spin. Sounds.

But, and I think most people will agree, MS PR has been laughably bad lately. This PR doesn't really tell us anything like MS PR. Firstly I do think the statement includes PS4 and Xbox One but the sales aren't better than them, hence using the statement 'one of the best'. I also think it sold better than the Pro and the Slims but I think we expected that anyway.

The whole thing reminds be of MS's NPD statement when they claimed Forza Horizon 3 was the best selling 1st party game for September when it was the only 1st party game released that month. 

Might you link me to this statement? Thank you.

barneystinson69 said:
leyendax69 said:

But it's sold out EVERYWHERE!!

How many units were put out?

Knowing nintendo, less than what they previously said. They are kings of artificial demand, we'll have to wait for numbers

"Several years"... Um, Switch bigger than Wii U and Ouya confirmed?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

GameStop say this everytime @ consoles launches :P the only official infos are this:
UK: Launch week
PlayStation 4 - 250K
XBO - 150K
3DS - 113K
Switch ~80K

The line was definitely a lot longer at my local best buy compared to the Wii U launch, not much else from my end lol