By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameStop - Switch launch was 'one of the strongest & most successful' console launches in several years

Tagged games:

Coming from Eric Bright, senior director of merchandising for GameStop

“Stores across the country last night were packed with customers who couldn’t wait to get their hands on the brand new Nintendo Switch. We even had customers lining up as early as yesterday morning so that they could be one of the lucky ones to score one of the additional units for our walk-in customers. This is one of the strongest and most successful gaming console launches for GameStop in the last several years. For those fans who are still looking for the Nintendo Switch, don’t worry–we’re getting more. And, we’re pretty sure that there are a lot of gaming fans who pulled all-nighters last night playing their new Switch, and who also called in sick to work today with ‘game-fluenza’ just to stay home and play even more”

link

It looks like the start went fine. Let's see how the Switch does for its first year .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

The last several years comment seems a bit odd, considering I can't think of a major launch since the ps4 and xb1...aside from console improvements like the Pro and One S, and PSVR, I suppose, though that's really just a peripheral. 

Still, I bet Switch is doing quite well for itself, at least in the US and Japan (and other Asian countries, I'd bet). European countries I'm less certain about, I just don't really know their buying habits aside from being Sony-centric these last 3 years. 

The last several years part is weird, what consoles have launched in the last several years? PS4 pro?

Ariakon said:

The last several years comment seems a bit odd, considering I can't think of a major launch since the ps4 and xb1...aside from console improvements like the Pro and One S, and PSVR, I suppose, though that's really just a peripheral. 

Still, I bet Switch is doing quite well for itself, at least in the US and Japan (and other Asian countries, I'd bet). European countries I'm less certain about, I just don't really know their buying habits aside from being Sony-centric these last 3 years. 

Must have beat me by 2 seconds lol but yeah i was thinking the same. 

Sounds like MS PR. Wording used doesn't actually mean that much.

Around the Network

So..since PS4 and Xbox One then? Of course it would....

Since the launch of the XB1 and PS4? That would make sense. And we have not heard any sales figures yet, so...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

GameStop = cesspool

In the last "several years"? What kind of statement is that? What console launches is he comparing it to? Lmao.

SWORDF1SH said:
Sounds like MS PR.

Let's just call it PR spin.

And yes, it does sound like PR spin. Sounds.