By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The switch launch feels very quiet...

Man I'm loving my Switch.  

Full disclosure:  Im a graphics guy..  PC rig with 1080, PS4 both in my entertainment center.  So, id be lying if I said the framerate hitches in BOTW don't bug me.  Even my wife noticed it....  BUT....  BOTW is a beautiful game none the less, and I cant help but feel that this is the future of gaming.  

As the nvidia mobile chips get better and better, Sony/Microsoft will have no choice but to make high powered tablets with Docs just like the Switch.  The fact that I can play the switch in bed, in the bathroom, while my wife is at the mall, wherever, yet simply plug it into the doc, pick up my pro controller and Go, is AWESOME.  If you dont have a Switch you dont know what I'm talking about, and even I didnt think it would be all that great...  But I was wrong.  

Bravo Nintendo...  Just like the Wii motion controls, eveyrone will try to copy this; lets see if they succeed.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Entropio said:

I suppose that if the launch were in November Nintendo would have allocated more consoles, not only for launch but for the following weeks...

Thats implying the launch allocation number is determined by the launch month as opposed to manufacturing capacity.

The latter is more important to the number of available consoles at any hardware launch.

Look at it this way, if nintendo got 2M consoles to market on day one and those consoles sold out. Then over a period 6 weeks follwing launch they got an additional 1.5 consoles to market and those also sold out too. What that basically means (regardless of the month it launched in) is that if they got 3.5M units on day one of launch to market all those would have sold out too.

Just know that if nintendo could manufacture 3M NS units and have them available at launch they would have done so. Doesn't matter if they released in march or in november/december.

That's oly under the assumption that 3.5 M Switches would have been sold, and that's something we don't know yet.

Consider now this way: if in three weeks Nintendo allocates an aditional 1.5 units but the Switch is no longer sold out, then I would consider that Switch launch is "ok", since demand is not expectedto be too high in March, outside early adopters. But if the Switch would launch in November selling 2M and in 3 weeks is not able to sell an additional 1.5 M I would consider it a failure, since demand is expected to be bigger in November/December.

We don't know yet how big the demand of day one Switches is, but with the data we have I would consider it at least ok, and potentially great (or if it sunks suddenly next week, also potentially a failure). 

dgboweniii said:

Man I'm loving my Switch.  

Full disclosure:  Im a graphics guy..  PC rig with 1080, PS4 both in my entertainment center.  So, id be lying if I said the framerate hitches in BOTW don't bug me.  Even my wife noticed it....  BUT....  BOTW is a beautiful game none the less, and I cant help but feel that this is the future of gaming.  

As the nvidia mobile chips get better and better, Sony/Microsoft will have no choice but to make high powered tablets with Docs just like the Switch.  The fact that I can play the switch in bed, in the bathroom, while my wife is at the mall, wherever, yet simply plug it into the doc, pick up my pro controller and Go, is AWESOME.  If you dont have a Switch you dont know what I'm talking about, and even I didnt think it would be all that great...  But I was wrong.  

Bravo Nintendo...  Just like the Wii motion controls, eveyrone will try to copy this; lets see if they succeed.

Lol no, unless you have been living under a rock, you should know that what nintendo has done with the switch isn't even the first time anyone has done it. Its just a really great handheld that allows you plug it to a TV.

Nothing really stops sony or MS from making a really great tablet with attachable controls too that allows you play a game stream from your home console you know? Or so many other possible options. Nintendo has just pushed a handheld out that comes with a tv dock and some are acting like its the best thing since sliced bread.

Xmas will tell the true story

Launching in March hurts a bit because it's not a traditional time to launch a console. As long as they keep in the conversation + a good E3 to get people excited, then I think it'll be fine.

It is a bit a slow start from the internet hype I heard from all angles.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Hmmm, doesn't seem particularly "quiet" to me.. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-07-nintendo-trumpets-record-switch-sales

http://kotaku.com/the-first-nintendo-switch-sales-numbers-for-japan-1793032877

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/switch-console-launch-nintendos-biggest-ever/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/switch-launch-sales-in-the-americas-are-nintendoas-best-ever

*(also still sold out across the board online at nowinstock.com as of this posting)

Now the question is, when the thing keeps selling strong into next year, what excuse will people use to discredit Nintendo this time, since the "casualz" arguement won't really hold up any longer? Stay tuned! :P

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Now the question is, when the thing keeps selling strong into next year, what excuse will people use to discredit Nintendo this time, since the "casualz" arguement won't really hold up any longer? Stay tuned! :P

Can't Wait!

It is already funny see the try harders making a shitstorm of isolated cases with defective switch's, like if all the others console's launch in the history have been flawless.

We reap what we sow

a lot of golden posts to quote here. Congrats everyone

Click HERE and be happy 

Sprash said:
RolStoppable said:
Did you expect something on the level of Pokémon Go?

maybe he expected something like this

ps4 launch

A horde of idiots running like wild animals destroying everything around is now a metric of successful launch? Is this something people wanna see to generate buzz around a console? Hopefully everything was executed in a civil manner with switch's launch

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
Sprash said:

maybe he expected something like this

ps4 launch

A horde of idiots running like wild animals destroying everything around is now a metric of successful launch? Is this something people wanna see to generate buzz around a console? Hopefully everything was executed in a civil manner with switch's launch

well not a metric for a bad launch