By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of the wild runs better on portable mode (digital foundry)

I noticed the frame drops last night right away. It's a bit distracting, same as the shimmering on distant detail and it all looks a bit washed out, there's no black. But eh, pick up an axe, chop down any tree you want, can't do that in HZD!

What disappointed me more is how quiet the game is. Maybe it's just the start yet I'm missing background music, environmental sounds are very minimal and 'talking' to npc's is restricted to the occasional 'hmm' sound.

Around the Network

I'm not too sure if this is a dumb question or not but does having the digital version versus the retail version affect this at all?

SvennoJ said:
I noticed the frame drops last night right away. It's a bit distracting, same as the shimmering on distant detail and it all looks a bit washed out, there's no black. But eh, pick up an axe, chop down any tree you want, can't do that in HZD!

What disappointed me more is how quiet the game is. Maybe it's just the start yet I'm missing background music, environmental sounds are very minimal and 'talking' to npc's is restricted to the occasional 'hmm' sound.

They don't talk? I thought the game had voice acting?

Wow, maybe the docked mode should be 720p as well with some AA effects to hide jaggies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Most of the game is silent, only special cut scene have voices.

Anybody got a video on the WiiU version?

Around the Network

I did notice the worst performance on the dock version. However it wasn't that bad. But than again I am still in the beginning of the game.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

It does seem to, but 900p on my TV just looks way better. The Switch LCD display is better than the crappy Wii U one, but colors still feel washed out compared to a good HDTV set. I prefer playing on the TV at least for a game like Zelda. I'm willing to put up with the frame rate drops as long as they're not constant. 

I prefer to play it on TV tbh. Framerate dips are frequent, yep, but nothing that bothers me so much to play it on portable mode. Also, I'm not sure but it seems like I'm getting a way smoother experience after the update. Maybe because I'm in a different area, not sure. Framerate dips were more frequenr on the plateau.

Seems like docked mode and wii u both have frame drops to 20. It was predicted the Switch would have these issues because memory bandwidth is similar in portable and docked modes so a bit of a bottleneck for docked mode. Switch is primarily a portable with docked mode more a bonus. As also predicted no enhancements between portable and docked, its just a resolution boost with minor output enhancements no actual improvements in detail or any game engine enhancements as was expected so it can flick between docked and portable modes rapidly without issue.

I suspect Zelda is also using the performance mode which pegs the gpu at 200 gflops not 150 gflops hence the low battery runtime. In fact they may have had to introduce this enhanced performance setting because of Zelda issues.

Hopefully a lesson learned and future Switch games won't try to push resolution to 900p but instead settle on a 720p resolution with anti-aliasing unless its a game well within the capability of the hardware and can do 900p or 1080p comfortably.

So basically docked Switch and wii u is pretty much a similar experience if you have a Switch pro controller but the best experience is in portable mode technically but I'd rather play on my 50" tv using virtual 3D mode to be honest.

I suspect the best experience technically may actually be emulated on pc using a 4k native resolution for the wii u version. Which I hope to do at some point.

Volterra_90 said:
I prefer to play it on TV tbh. Framerate dips are frequent, yep, but nothing that bothers me so much to play it on portable mode. Also, I'm not sure but it seems like I'm getting a way smoother experience after the update. Maybe because I'm in a different area, not sure. Framerate dips were more frequenr on the plateau.

Yeah I agree.

I prefer the better resolution even if it comes with some frame rate dips. The game looks a lot better to me in TV mode.