By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do You Accept Evolution as a Fact?

Do you believe in evolution?

Yes 657 75.69%

Mostly, some things are questionable. 74 8.53%

No 99 11.41%

Not really, but some could be true. 38 4.38%

Total:868
Peh said:
BlkPaladin said:
There is evidence but a lot of it questionable. First I want to say I don't believe in life evolution. The big bang theory is pretty good but it still leaves room to someone causing it.                                    

This mindset of yours already tends to be biased and draws only for a conclusion which suits your perspective.

This applies to ALL of us including you.

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:
theprof00 said:
Consider this:
When scientists were trying to find what happened to dinosaurs, they looked at bone structures, considered their sizes and blood temperatures, used hundreds of different analytics to come to a very disagreed with theory:

Dinosaurs evolved into birds.
This was a theory that came to fruition decades ago, with no evidence to support it whatsoever other than by looking at evidence surrounding the possibility. It was still not accepted as of 20 years ago. Archeopteryx was the first "bird" that scientists had ever found, and it suddenly appeared in the fossil record hundreds of millions of years ago.

We discovered just recently, proof that dinosaurs had feathers. Imagine that.
Anyway, moving on, we also have overwhelming evidence of feather evolution.
It took millions of years for feathers to come from simple insulation properties, into actual flight capability.

It's really sad that people simply discount the entire fossil record simply because it goes against religious beliefs.

Only a small amount of tiny theropod dinosaurs evoled into birds, Most dinosaur species died out. The way you used the blanket turn dinosaur could lead someone to believe that a 100 tonne sauropod could evolve into a bird weighing less than a kilo.

I didn't mean all dinosaurs obviously. Just that things that were dinosaurs, became something else. 

Sorry if it sounded like I said "all rectangles became squares"

There's a lot of poor English on here. Evolution is not a fact, it's a theory. It will always be a theory by definition.

And to "believe" in something is to take it as truth.

So those saying they don't believe in it, it's not a theory it's fact just don't understand the meaning of the words they are using.

The correct answer is simply, yes, I believe in evolution.

I wouldn´t use the word "believe" in this case......

I´d say that I do think that evolution happened someway but I´m not so sure that it happened exactly the way we are taught a school or how Darwin proposed. After all, it´s not called a "scientific theory" by chance or for no reason.

And I say that being a Christian that - and here I may use that word - believe that creationism and evolutionary thought are not opposite at all. In fact, they´re have a lot of things in common, much more than most people think

LivingMetal said:
Peh said:

This mindset of yours already tends to be biased and draws only for a conclusion which suits your perspective.

This applies to ALL of us including you.

I am not conluding to god of the gaps fallacy.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
I wouldn´t use the word "believe" in this case......

I´d say that I do think that evolution happened someway but I´m not so sure that it happened exactly the way we are taught a school or how Darwin proposed. After all, it´s not called a "scientific theory" by chance or for no reason.

And I say that being a Christian that - and here I may use that word - believe that creationism and evolutionary thought are not opposite at all. In fact, they´re have a lot of things in common, much more than most people think

Which are?

One uses the scientific method and the other one faith.

They couldn't be even more far from each other.

TheLastStarFighter said:

There's a lot of poor English on here. Evolution is not a fact, it's a theory. It will always be a theory by definition.

So those saying they don't believe in it, it's not a theory it's fact just don't understand the meaning of the words they are using.

LOL

Poor english? You sure about that? Because in science a theory has a different definition than a normal theory. Look it up: Scientific theory. Evolution is a fact. Saying otherwise is pure ignorance.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

LivingMetal said:
SvennoJ said:

You could use google https://www.google.ca/search?q=evolution+observed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=tU24WOjmJITXjwSV-pSQDQ

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/evolution-watching-speciation-occur-observations/

I've seen some of these examples.  But birds are still birds, moths are still moths, toads are still toads, etc.  It's the ability to adapt to survive within their DNA structure.

Your examples above are not species, but family, which is 2 levels above speciation.

LivingMetal said:
potato_hamster said:

Yes, I understand your principles that you fail to understand the fundamentals of evolution. Great job.

"Evolution" covers very broad concepts depending on context.  What you fail to understand is that the belief that one type of organism slowly changes into another organism over a period of time is rooted in conclusion based on one's paradigm.  Not science, not fact.  There is no "smoking gun" so to speak that proves that evolution from the OP's context is fact.  So back to the OP, the "do you believe in" in regards to the subject is an appropriate and reasonable forming of the question.

100% false. See I'm one of those people who can read a peer reviewed scientific study and actually has the experience and background to understand it. Evolution is for all intents and purposes a "scientific fact", and if you disagree, it's probably because somewhere alone the way you completely misunderstood evolution, or completley misunderstood science.

So again, it's not a matter of belief. It's a matter of a acceptance. Science doesn't care whether you accept it or not. It doesn't make the science any less correct.

TheLastStarFighter said:

A scientific "theory" is not the same as the common vernacular of "theory". It is not an idea. It doesn't require belief to accept it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Look, there's a section in there written specifically for people like you :)

So, if you're going to claim people don't understand the meaning of the words they are using, perhaps you should understand them yourself.

It's currently the most plausible explanation. It doesn't mean it's necessarily correct, but according to what we know, it's the most plausible.

Just for the record, I think the wording in this thread is extremely bad. It's not a matter of 'belief'.