By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do You Accept Evolution as a Fact?

Do you believe in evolution?

Yes 657 75.69%

Mostly, some things are questionable. 74 8.53%

No 99 11.41%

Not really, but some could be true. 38 4.38%

Total:868
LivingMetal said:
smroadkill15 said:

When I say evolution, I mean the first vertebrate animals to homo sapiens. It doesn't matter to me if you do or don't, I'm simply curious. Feel free to post your feelings on why or why not. I would rather it steer clear of any unconstructive arguments. Please don't name call because someone doesn't agree with you. If you want to know more about why someone feels that way, ask them nicely. 

Thank you, have a nice day! 

No.  Unless it's been observed and tested in a controlled environment with consistant results, it's not science.  Not fact.  Now, we've seen variations of animals within a type (however you want to define it) of animal such as a variety of dogs or a variety of cattle, but no one has ever seen a dog turn into a cow.  The evolutionary theory doesn't dictate that cows came from dogs, but you get my principle here without havign to split hairs.  Are there mutations, yes.  But no one has seen an animal turn into another animal.  There are even too many gaps in the fossil records to support it as fact/science.  The fossil record is just "arranging stuff" based on paradigm.

Yes, I understand your principles that you fail to understand the fundamentals of evolution. Great job.

Around the Network

I've seen plenty nature documentaries and read plenty science articles that all point to the same theory. Belief is the wrong word though, it's the most logical explanation. So have to answer no on the poll for bad phrasing.

Consider this:
You are fascinated by animals, and history.
You are so fascinated by sloths that you own 2 as pets, work in their environment, and generally are around sloths 24/7.
You KNOW everything there is to know.
One day, you're talking to someone who says, "hey morty, did you know they drained the swamp up in the valley, and found all these sloth bones".
You check it out, but this valley cleary hasn't seen life in hundreds, maybe thousands of years. It is a dry desert. What would sloth bones be doing here? So, you look around, and come up with a couple theories. Either this land used to be full of wilderness, OR, there was a massive flood and the water simply carried a bunch of dead sloths from somewhere further north.
You decide to test both, and start digging in the swamp and surrounding lands, and also go north, digging along the way to see if you can find more.
Turns out, you're finding more skeletons as you continue north, leaving a trail about 10 miles north to a mountain without vegetation.
Hmm, you think to yourself. Mountains provide water, and water provides vegetation. You conclude that there must have been vegetation here at one point, and possibly an entire river.
You notify some scientists, and digging starts all around the mountain. You find amber, fossilized wood, and loads of skeletons that belong to species gerneally known to live in forests. You're learning more and more about the area every day, and maybe you might learn something about what these sloths ate, how they lived, etc. You are fascinated by this discovery. Eventually you find some skeletons with some very abnormal bone structures. Then you find a bone structure of an animal you can't even identify, then you find a fossil that looks something like the size of a whale, but with legs....WTF is going on here. Some scientists carbon date the rocks and say they are several million years old.

No. No. No. The Bible clearly says that the earth is only 6 thousand years old.

CLEARLY THIS IS THE WORK OF THE DEVIL.
you say to yourself, and then you leave the scientific community and join a convent because clearly, your love of sloths and learning are all contradicted by some lines written by a man 2 thousand years ago.

It's like saying do you believe in oxygen.

potato_hamster said:
LivingMetal said:

No.  Unless it's been observed and tested in a controlled environment with consistant results, it's not science.  Not fact.  Now, we've seen variations of animals within a type (however you want to define it) of animal such as a variety of dogs or a variety of cattle, but no one has ever seen a dog turn into a cow.  The evolutionary theory doesn't dictate that cows came from dogs, but you get my principle here without havign to split hairs.  Are there mutations, yes.  But no one has seen an animal turn into another animal.  There are even too many gaps in the fossil records to support it as fact/science.  The fossil record is just "arranging stuff" based on paradigm.

Yes, I understand your principles that you fail to understand the fundamentals of evolution. Great job.

"Evolution" covers very broad concepts depending on context.  What you fail to understand is that the belief that one type of organism slowly changes into another organism over a period of time is rooted in conclusion based on one's paradigm.  Not science, not fact.  There is no "smoking gun" so to speak that proves that evolution from the OP's context is fact.  So back to the OP, the "do you believe in" in regards to the subject is an appropriate and reasonable forming of the question.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
potato_hamster said:

"Evolution" covers very broad concepts depending on context.  What you fail to understand is that the belief that one type of organism slowly changes into another organism over a period of time is rooted in conclusion based on one's paradigm.  Not science, not fact.  There is no "smoking gun" so to speak that proves that evolution from the OP's context is fact.  So back to the OP, the "do you believe in" in regards to the subject is an appropriate and reasonable forming of the question.

You could use google https://www.google.ca/search?q=evolution+observed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=tU24WOjmJITXjwSV-pSQDQ

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/evolution-watching-speciation-occur-observations/

Based on my studies it is by far the leading concept in studying life. I'd say 99% certainty evolution via natural selection explains the diversity of life on our planet. No other idea put forth comes remotely close to the mountain of evidence it contains.

BlkPaladin said:
There is evidence but a lot of it questionable. First I want to say I don't believe in life evolution. The big bang theory is pretty good but it still leaves room to someone causing it.                                    

This mindset of yours already tends to be biased and draws only for a conclusion which suits your perspective.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

theprof00 said:
Consider this:
When scientists were trying to find what happened to dinosaurs, they looked at bone structures, considered their sizes and blood temperatures, used hundreds of different analytics to come to a very disagreed with theory:

Dinosaurs evolved into birds.
This was a theory that came to fruition decades ago, with no evidence to support it whatsoever other than by looking at evidence surrounding the possibility. It was still not accepted as of 20 years ago. Archeopteryx was the first "bird" that scientists had ever found, and it suddenly appeared in the fossil record hundreds of millions of years ago.

We discovered just recently, proof that dinosaurs had feathers. Imagine that.
Anyway, moving on, we also have overwhelming evidence of feather evolution.
It took millions of years for feathers to come from simple insulation properties, into actual flight capability.

It's really sad that people simply discount the entire fossil record simply because it goes against religious beliefs.

Only a small amount of tiny theropod dinosaurs evoled into birds, Most dinosaur species died out. The way you used the blanket turn dinosaur could lead someone to believe that a 100 tonne sauropod could evolve into a bird weighing less than a kilo.

SvennoJ said:
LivingMetal said:

You could use google https://www.google.ca/search?q=evolution+observed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=tU24WOjmJITXjwSV-pSQDQ

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/evolution-watching-speciation-occur-observations/

I've seen some of these examples.  But birds are still birds, moths are still moths, toads are still toads, etc.  It's the ability to adapt to survive within their DNA structure.