By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 89th Academy Awards (Oscars) Thread.

Which Movie Deserves to Win Best Picture?

Arrival 9 14.75%

Lion 3 4.92%

Fences 0 0%

Hidden Figures 3 4.92%

LA LA Land 19 31.15%

Moonlight 4 6.56%

Hell or High Water 1 1.64%

Manchester by the Sea 1 1.64%

Hacksaw Ridge 10 16.39%

Another Movie that was Not Nominated. 11 18.03%

Total:61
Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I'm watching the Oscars and I'm not gonna explain the movie here, but everything makes sense, it has a very solid screenplay which makes a majestic use of the flashbacks, the whole theme about comunication and the way languages affects our whole way or perceive things is fascinating, still the best part is how everything is directed, is visually very powerful, it constantly reminds me to kubrick, it creates an amazing atmosphere, sense of mistery and tension, it sucks you in completely and is fascinating, smart and even poetic all the time, is a really unique movie with a shocking yet beautiful ending and Amy Adams is just brilliant. I can't praise it more, I watched it totally thinking it would be as overrated as Interestellar but instead I found a masterpiece.

Nopes, there is a very good reason why this sub-genre of sci-fi movies ask that you just roll with it and not ask questions. The way they translated the language - another thing to just roll with.

Is like if you were shitting about a space movie because they don't explain you with all the details how the engine of the ship is able to travel trough the galaxy, you are missing the point of the movie. They study the language and follow all the patterns and points in common until they are able to reproduce them and comunicate, that's the idea, they show you examples of how they do this research, there is absolutely no need to explain more about it, this movie purpose is not to teach you how to translate alien languages.

Around the Network

Suicide squad is an oscar winning movie

La La Land did not do well as expected.

unless your a white hipster that movie has no value

LadyJasmine said:

The movie won 5 Oscars and is probably gonna win the biggest one in minutes, is doing well

So glad Casey Affleck won for Manchester By The Sea, such a great performance.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
LadyJasmine said:

The movie won 5 Oscars and is probably gonna win the biggest one in minutes, is doing well

Not a huge sweep as expected.

Will be forgotten about unlike other best pics of the past in 6 months.

LadyJasmine said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Not a huge sweep as expected.

Will be forgotten about unlike other best pics of the past in 6 months.

I'm not that sure tbh, but who knows.

La la land has zero appeal outside of fans of musicals. 

Its pretty much a film about two really good looking white actors going through 'adversity' to get what they want .

LadyJasmine said:

La la land has zero appeal outside of fans of musicals. 

That's a weird thing to say when you see the inmense success it had on the box office despite the fact that musicals usually do pretty low numbers. The cinema close to my house was completely full with people for days like hasn't happened in many years.

I personally wasnt a big fan of LaLa Land, its a good film, I wished Moonlight, Arrival or Manchester by the Sea had won more cause they were better.  Emma Stone winning the best actress award tho is weird cause I dont think she was that good, but at the same time I dont feel that category had tough competition. 

EDIT: OMFG. LOL at the end. Steve Harvey must be enjoying himself right now. 

LadyJasmine said:

It won 6 oscars, incluiding 2 of the 4 big ones, as opposed to every other big film it was competing with - which only got 2 each of them. So yeah, It did do well and it was a big sweep indeed.