By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 89th Academy Awards (Oscars) Thread.

Which Movie Deserves to Win Best Picture?

Arrival 9 14.75%

Lion 3 4.92%

Fences 0 0%

Hidden Figures 3 4.92%

LA LA Land 19 31.15%

Moonlight 4 6.56%

Hell or High Water 1 1.64%

Manchester by the Sea 1 1.64%

Hacksaw Ridge 10 16.39%

Another Movie that was Not Nominated. 11 18.03%

Total:61

I can see moonlight winning mainly because of OscarsSoWhite last year

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

Following what different webs says things would be like this:

Imdb:

1. La La Land (8.5)
2. Hacksaw Ridge (8.3)
3. Arrival (8.1)

Filmaffinity:

1 .La La Land (7.9)
2. Arrival (7.5)
3. Manchester By The Sea (7.3)

RottenTomatoes:

1. Moonlight (98%)
2. Hell or High Water (98%)
3. Manchester By The Sea (96%)
4. Arrival (94%)
5. La La Land (93%)

Metacritic:

1. Moonlight (99)
2. Manchester By The Sea (96)
3. La La Land (93)
4. Hell Or High Water (88)
5. Arrival (81)

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:
Did Arrival really win? Wth? The Oscars never had any credibility though so not surprised.

They would have more credibility if it actually wins, but don't worry, this one is going to La La Land.

I haven't seen the other movies but Arrival is a solid 3/10 for me.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

They would have more credibility if it actually wins, but don't worry, this one is going to La La Land.

Well, I mean, coming from you I'm not surprised, for me it was a very solid 9/10, the direction is a complete 10/10 though, the talent of Villeneuve is incredible, I can't wait to see Blade Runner 2 and Dune, both directed by him.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Well, I mean, coming from you I'm not surprised, for me it was a very solid 9/10, the direction is a complete 10/10 though, the talent of Villeneuve is incredible, I can't wait to see Blade Runner 2 and Dune, both directed by him.

Agree, Arrival is amazing. I hope either Arrival or Moonlight win. Manchester by The Sea at least,  so long as LaLa Land doesnt win this one, tho thats the most probable outcome. 

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Agree, Arrival is amazing. I hope either Arrival or Moonlight win. Manchester by The Sea at least,  so long as LaLa Land doesnt win this one, tho thats the most probable outcome. 

I really liked La La Land, it was really well done and had a lot of charisma, I just think is pretty empty and too sweet for my taste, but while I think is overrated I think it deserves a lot of praise too, is maybe the best musical since Hedwig And The Angry Inch or Dancer in The Dark, and both movies are like 15 years old already. I don't want it to win, but I wouldn't be mad.

Goodnightmoon said:
Jpcc86 said:

I really liked La La Land, it was really well done and had a lot of charisma, I just think is pretty empty and too sweet for my taste, but while I think is overrated I think it deserves a lot of praise too, is maybe the best musical since Hedwig And The angry Inch or Dancer in The Dark, and both movies are like 15 years old already. I don't want it to win, but I wouldn't be mad.

Yeah, no, dont get me wrong, I do like La La Land, and I do think its a pretty good movie, its just nothing extraordinaire. Pretty likable, with a great direction from Damien Chazelle (tho personally I think Whiplash is better) Perhaps it deserved the nomination, but I just think some of its competition its better.

Jpcc86 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I really liked La La Land, it was really well done and had a lot of charisma, I just think is pretty empty and too sweet for my taste, but while I think is overrated I think it deserves a lot of praise too, is maybe the best musical since Hedwig And The angry Inch or Dancer in The Dark, and both movies are like 15 years old already. I don't want it to win, but I wouldn't be mad.

Yeah, no, dont get me wrong, I do like La La Land, and I do think its a pretty good movie, its just nothing extraordinaire. Pretty likable, with a great direction from Damien Chazelle (tho personally I think Whiplash is better) Perhaps it deserved the nomination, but I just think some of its competition its better.

Yes, I agree, I also think is quite an hyperbole that the movie got 14 nominations but oh well, worse things have happened in the Oscars, at least is a good movie from a talented director.

Signalstar said:

Well it's my favorite night of the year again. Who do you think will win in all the categories. Is LA LA Land really overrated.

Will all the acceptance speeches attack Trump? 

Yes, but let's not let that derail this thread.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

JRPGfan said:

Passengers was a million times better too.

Really? I mean I haven't seen it but many friends said to me it was horrible, and giving a quick look it has a 41 in Metacritic and a 36% on Rottentomatoes? Is not very encouraging tbh, I'll probably watch it anyways but I think I will keep my expectations very low.