By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales- Switch Year 1 vs 3DS and Wii U

Tagging, your comparision charts are always interesting

Around the Network

updated

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Can't wait to see how this sells come Xmas. BotW,splat2oon,Mario odyesy,Mario Kart and hopefully Xenoblade 2

Tagging

Some things to take into consideration is that 3DS & Wii U were both overshipped in their first month. According to Nintendo's official shipment data and Media Create sales, both had over 200-250k units sitting on store shelves at the end of March 2011 & December 2012.

On the other hand, Switch seems to be selling out each shipment pretty fast.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Still under the Wii U, should change soon though

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Switch is doing ... ok in Japan. I wouldn't say great. It's well below the 3DS, we'll leave out the Wii U if you want because that launched at a much busier shopping period.

You have to remember also in the 3DS' third week Japan suffered that massive earthquake + tsunami + literal nuclear meltdown, probably the biggest crisis Japan has seen since World War II. On a Friday too. That likely threw off 3DS sales for a bit there.

Wow, Switch doing terrible vs 3DS and Wii U!

Soundwave said:

Switch is doing ... ok in Japan. I wouldn't say great. It's well below the 3DS, we'll leave out the Wii U if you want because that launched at a much busier shopping period.

You have to remember also in the 3DS' third week Japan suffered that massive earthquake + tsunami + literal nuclear meltdown, probably the biggest crisis Japan has seen since World War II. On a Friday too. That likely threw off 3DS sales for a bit there.

Hard to really gauge how good/bad Switch is doing compared to 3DS/Wii U at the moment since its virtually sold out while 3DS/Wii U both had excess stock in their first month.

3DS shipments end of March 2011-1060k

3DS sales as of March 27, 2011-800k

Wii U shipments end of December 2012-830k

Wii U sales as of December 30, 2012-630k

They both had about 75% sell through in the first month.

It will be interesting to see how Switch matches up next month when Nintendo reveals shipment data. If it has similar sell through as 3DS/Wii U than ya its just an ok launch, however if its more like 90% sell through than that shows it could very well have been higher with more stock.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I know Nintendo overshipped for both WiiU and 3ds and Switch selling out, but I still think Ninteno should have had a 3m shipment ready.
That's still 1m under what they shipped for 3DS at a slightly more expensive pricepoint and I think the demand is there.